Deadline trades effect on payroll

wildcard

Salaries for the rest of 2024. (As far as I can tell)

3.7m.  Eflin

1.6m. Greg Soto

1.3m Slater

1m Jimenez.  (total guess on how much the O's assume of his contract)

.82m. Dominguez

.25m Pache

9.17m Subtotal

-2.1m. Hays

7.07 Total

Payroll before deadline about 93m

Payroll after deadline about 100m

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

The question is... Did Elias set aside this $7+ million specifically for the deadline, or did Rubenstien give him more?

My guess is Elias already had this set aside.  That's why we didn't bring back Gibson.  

Edited by sportsfan8703

I've seen reports that the Eloy trade for CSW was a salary move, implying we are picking up more than $1M. He also has a $3M buyout that you could count against this move even if it's not triggered til next year. We really don't know the specifics though. I can't imagine Elias was willing to pay much for Eloy but he has been known to overpay when there is a guy he likes that fills a need (Gibson, Lyles). 

4 minutes ago, Malike said:

I don't think Rubenstein is too worried about this.

Right.  I was going to say - I don't mind the exercise at all, but I don't get the impression that Rubenstein is at all worried about taking on salary.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, glenn__davis said:

Right.  I was going to say - I don't mind the exercise at all, but I don't get the impression that Rubenstein is at all worried about taking on salary.

And, IF he was at all reluctant this time around and the moves were shaped by that AND they don't pan out - this trade deadline serves as a learning moment for next season when we still have a good farm to deal from.

My point is: if he hamstrung Elias and these moves were plan B, he may be less inclined to hamstring Elias next time around.

I'm not saying he did, but we should still be able to deal next year with more aggression. 

I think there were rigid financial restrictions on Elias prior to the sale closing, and once Rubenstein became controlling partner they were considerably and explicitly relaxed.

17 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I've seen reports that the Eloy trade for CSW was a salary move, implying we are picking up more than $1M. He also has a $3M buyout that you could count against this move even if it's not triggered til next year. We really don't know the specifics though. I can't imagine Elias was willing to pay much for Eloy but he has been known to overpay when there is a guy he likes that fills a need (Gibson, Lyles). 

On Foul Territory they said that the White Sox were done with Jimenez and ready to DFA him.    Anything that the O's were able to pick up was a plus for the WS.   

Is that correct?   I don't know yet but I think it will come out.

IMO it’s not the payroll added for the rest of this year that stands out. It’s the money for next year (i.e. Eflin’s 18 million dollar salary for 25’) that stands out to me. John Angelos never did that. And frankly never expressed an interest or willingness to do so.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, wildcard said:

On Foul Territory they said that the White Sox were done with Jimenez and ready to DFA him.    Anything that the O's were able to pick up was a plus for the WS.   

Is that correct?   I don't know yet but I think it will come out.

There were a lot of White Sox fans thrilled to have Jimenez gone.

To me that is not a good sign...

Edited by yark14

59 minutes ago, AdamK said:

... this trade deadline serves as a learning moment for next season when we still have a good farm to deal from.

Not so sure about this. With most of our big pieces either reserved (Mayo, Basallo), already graduated (Holliday, Kjerstad), or traded (Ortiz, Norby, Stowers, S. Johnson, Baumeister), it's not so clear our farm is that exceptional anymore (unless we rate highly on the next wave of int'l signings still at the lower levels). At Norfolk, for example, Mayo must be feeling kinda lonely by now.

Edited by now

Honestly these are modest payroll increases for a contender to take on, especially considering how low payroll was to start.   I don’t think Rubinstein deserves any major kudos here.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, AdamK said:

And, IF he was at all reluctant this time around and the moves were shaped by that AND they don't pan out - this trade deadline serves as a learning moment for next season when we still have a good farm to deal from.

My point is: if he hamstrung Elias and these moves were plan B, he may be less inclined to hamstring Elias next time around.

I'm not saying he did, but we should still be able to deal next year with more aggression. 

There's not a lot to deal from right now.  Any major additions will hopefully be done via Free Agency in the winter.

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Honestly these are modest payroll increases for a contender to take on, especially considering how low payroll was to start.   I don’t think Rubinstein deserves any major kudos here.

I give David kudos because John would not have done it.