Hold the Mayo?

Bird Lady

1 minute ago, interloper said:

Next home stand? Lol no idea at this point. 

Honestly I think if Henderson wasn't in a brain melting defensive slump Mayo might be up. 

I have come around on the idea that the only reason Mayo isn’t getting called up is to keep his ROY chances alive for next year. I think we see him on August 31 or whatever the date is. Is it the right decision? I don’t know. If Urias can hold down 3rd base for the month of August and Mayo wins ROY next year I guess it is. 

There really isn’t any other reason for him not to be headed to Cleveland right now.

• Upvote 1

I honestly don’t have a problem with this.  Urias is hitting well and helps stabilize the left side of the infield.  

It’s also playing the long game with Mayo’s rookie status.  We are trying to be competitive for the long haul.  

It’s also probably best not to have both Holliday and Mayo making their adjustments at the same time.

I wonder if they have a quota of sorts on the number of young guys on the major league team. There were those rumblings a few days ago about the tension between the old guard versus new guard. Even if the younger guys are clearly more talented, there's a case that they're more prone to making mistakes or getting overwhelmed when in high leverage spots. If they do want to limit the amount of young guys, Mayo might be the odd man out with Jackson just getting the call.

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

Honestly I think if Henderson wasn't in a brain melting defensive slump Mayo might be up. 

I agree. Too many defensive meltdowns in the infield right now to bring in what is considered a somewhat suspect glove to play alongside Gunnar. Mayo will get called up, but it will be timed to keep his rookie eligibility for 2025.

• Upvote 1

Just now, StottyByNature said:

I honestly don’t have a problem with this.  Urias is hitting well and helps stabilize the left side of the infield.  

It’s also playing the long game with Mayo’s rookie status.  We are trying to be competitive for the long haul.  

It’s also probably best not to have both Holliday and Mayo making their adjustments at the same time.

Yeah. It's not the worst thing in the world. Holliday is here and that's fun. Elias could have used Maton instead of Holliday or something but chose the fun option.

And I am nervous about our defense, so I can definitely understand this move.