Hold the Mayo?

Bird Lady

Just now, Roy Firestone said:

Coby Mayo should be activated tonight for the series in Cleveland. FULL STOP. PERIOD. Any excuses by management is absurd at this point.

But did you see that he swung at the second pitch tonight?

He obviously needs to learn how to run up the pitch count first.

4 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

Coby Mayo should be activated tonight for the series in Cleveland. FULL STOP. PERIOD. Any excuses by management is absurd at this point.

Oh relax. Sheesh.

Edited by interloper

1 hour ago, Alasdaire said:

I wonder if they have a quota of sorts on the number of young guys on the major league team. There were those rumblings a few days ago about the tension between the old guard versus new guard. Even if the younger guys are clearly more talented, there's a case that they're more prone to making mistakes or getting overwhelmed when in high leverage spots. If they do want to limit the amount of young guys, Mayo might be the odd man out with Jackson just getting the call.

It's textbook controlling known risks.  Rookies have a big range of outcomes covering both ends of the spectrum. The definition of risk is a wide range of outcomes.  Modern portfolio theory manages/hedges risk where possible.  

RIP 101 (rookie integration plan) has 1 rookie at a time acclimating.  Begin facing nighties predominantly (see Gunnar and Cowser) or selective pitchers (Westburg).  The length of rope seems to vary based on team standings, point in season, and quality of the prospect. 

I wondered if they'll open the RIP plan up a bit this year and they did try a playing a couple of Cowser, Holliday, HK, and Stowers at once.  

Cowser is done paying his dues, right?  Holliday is a bit of necessity now.  

Not using Mayo now is a hedge against rookie risk in 2 spots.  Maybe not the peak return, but likely not the lowest loss either.  A few weeks buys time.  Time is data/sample size.  Sample size decreases the range of outcomes.  And in theory, more informed decisions come playoffs.

I’ve said this probably 50 times. 

Last year down the stretch and in the playoffs Aaron Hicks was playing in the OF and starting and Cowser was at AAA. 
Hicks is out of baseball and Cowser may be the ROY.   

Everyone wants the kids up and I get that. They will arrive, be patient. 

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Watch much baseball?

You can be high on Mayo as you like but it's not a 100% lock that he puts up a 105 OPS+ for his career or a 102 OPS+ for the season.

Over a year of hitting?  I would take Mayo 100 x out of 100 and give you 5 to 1 on that.

Do you watch much baseball?  Urias is a better hitter than Mayo according to you?

Just lol.  LOL x 100000. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

But did you see that he swung at the second pitch tonight?

He obviously needs to learn how to run up the pitch count first.

At this point I just think you are a troll who likes to argue.  With anyone.  At anytime. 

Doesn't matter the subject matter. 

1 minute ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

Over a year of hitting?  I would take Mayo 100 x out of 100 and give you 5 to 1 on that.

Do you watch much baseball?  Urias is a better hitter than Mayo according to you?

Just lol.  LOL x 100000. 

Can you read?

Did I say that?

Not that I'd bet with you because we'll it's you but if it's a lock why would you only offer 5-1?

56 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

It's textbook controlling known risks.  Rookies have a big range of outcomes covering both ends of the spectrum. The definition of risk is a wide range of outcomes.  Modern portfolio theory manages/hedges risk where possible.  

RIP 101 (rookie integration plan) has 1 rookie at a time acclimating.  Begin facing nighties predominantly (see Gunnar and Cowser) or selective pitchers (Westburg).  The length of rope seems to vary based on team standings, point in season, and quality of the prospect. 

I wondered if they'll open the RIP plan up a bit this year and they did try a playing a couple of Cowser, Holliday, HK, and Stowers at once.  

Cowser is done paying his dues, right?  Holliday is a bit of necessity now.  

Not using Mayo now is a hedge against rookie risk in 2 spots.  Maybe not the peak return, but likely not the lowest loss either.  A few weeks buys time.  Time is data/sample size.  Sample size decreases the range of outcomes.  And in theory, more informed decisions come playoffs.

I mostly agree with your post, but Livan Soto was called up to replace Westburg and he's a rookie.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Can you read?

Did I say that?

Not that I'd bet with you because we'll it's you but if it's a lock why would you only offer 5-1?

I don't care what anyone's "career" has been.

I care about what will happen now and in the future.  And if you think that Urias will out hit Mayo in the future? 

I will give you 5 to 1 and not think twice about it.  After all you are the one who  made the comment about if I watch much baseball.  I must not according to you. 

So put your money where your mouth is.  I will bet you up to $10,000, and give you 5 to 1, that in the next 2 years, or 750 at bats, whichever comes first, that Mayo out hits Urias.  We can put the money into a self betting app that pays out to the winner when the bet is completed.

Deal?  DM me your info and we can do this.   If not?  Just stop. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

I care about what will happen now and in the future.  And if you think that Urias will out hit Mayo in the future? 

I will give you 5 to 1 and not think twice about it.  After all you are the one who  made the comment about if I watch much baseball.  I must not according to you. 

So put your money where your mouth is.  I will bet you up to $10,000, and give you 5 to 1, that in the next 2 years, or 750 at bats, whichever comes first, that Mayo out hits Urias.  We can put the money into a self betting app that pays out to the winner when the bet is completed.

Lets play for a hundred thousand.

17 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

Like I say can you even read?

No player is a 100% lock in baseball.

As well you know or you'd be offering 1000-1 odds, since it's free money and all.

Mayo will probably be better, but it's stupid to pretend like it's a certainty.

1 hour ago, eddie83 said:

I’ve said this probably 50 times. 

Last year down the stretch and in the playoffs Aaron Hicks was playing in the OF and starting and Cowser was at AAA. 
Hicks is out of baseball and Cowser may be the ROY.   

Everyone wants the kids up and I get that. They will arrive, be patient. 

And if Cowser was up in the second half, he wouldn't be eligible for ROY this year. 

18 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Like I say can you even read?

No player is a 100% lock in baseball.

As well you know or you'd be offering 1000-1 odds, since it's free money and all.

Mayo will probably be better, but it's stupid to pretend like it's a certainty.

No Oriole top prospect will bust. Not a single one.