I want to say this about Coby Mayo (All Inclusive)

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Well nobody can convince me he doesn’t deserve to be up here so 😛

I feel like I’m becoming the Robin to Roy’s Batman on the Mayo front here but I have to believe he’s better than Livan Soto. 

Soto plays 3 IF positions, he won't be up for long, but he's definitely more versatile than Mayo.

7 minutes ago, LA2 said:

I assume that the last paragraph about how Mayo's defense will improve in the coming weeks to Gold Glove-level were added in jest.

Correct. 

Everyone is harping on his defense being a reason he’s staying in AAA. And that will fly right out the window if he’s promoted to do anything other than DH in Baltimore. 

His defense won’t get markedly better in month.  Might get better with a lot of practice in the offseason but to anyone who’s wringing their hands over his defense, it’s silly to think he’s going to be all of a sudden better in 2024. 

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Well nobody can convince me he doesn’t deserve to be up here so 😛

I feel like I’m becoming the Robin to Roy’s Batman on the Mayo front here but I have to believe he’s better than Livan Soto. 

He is.  As I said there is probably not a club in MLB baseball who would be leaving Mayo at AAA at this point.

33 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think these guys all understand that this is a business. But they’re no different than anyone else in any other business who are busting their ass, performing at a high level and feeling that they need a challenge and a promotion. 

People want this to be like the glory days of the 60s-80s, part of that is creating an organization that people want to be a part of and love playing for. I completely get that’s a propeller hat beanie statement but you want guys who want to stick around. I don’t see the problem with that. 

I’m sure Mayo sees Westy go down today, doesn’t get called up and is either thinking “what the **** else do I gotta do to get a call up” and/or “this rookie eligibility stuff is BS.” 

In regard to his spotty defense, it’s also a BS excuse. I’m sure he’ll have made leaps and bounds in progress between now and the end of August in the defense department when they call him up. He’ll be a regular Brooks over there. 

I'd be very surprised if the FO isn't having open, frank, and transparent conversations with him about their plan.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

He was not drafted by the Os nor brought up via the Os farm system.

Try again.  Just give me ONE example.

Ok Mike Mussina resigned with the Orioles the first time.  He would have signed again if Angelos didn’t low ball him and dismantle the team.  

2 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

Of course, I am biased. I know Coby and his family well and interviewed Coby back in high school. I stay in touch with the family multiple times a week.Of course, I want to see him get his chance as many of you do.But for any reason, the fact that this kid is not promoted while we promoted inferior players, while we have a need for a RH hitter with pop  and refuse to  make that call is an insult to Coby Mayo, and yes, the fans too. The Orioles are jerking the kid around because they want to save his rookie status which could give the team an extra year of contract flexibility, could save the organisation money. But it's WRONG. The kid has raked all year, been a "good soldier" while he watched all his teammates get the call up. This kid has no negotiation power right now.But he will remember how he was treated and he has every reason to be resentful. I would be if it were me. And Oriole fans should be angry too. The front office has an obligation to field the best team, the best players and present that team to the public. They are not doing it to save money while they trade for dreadful hitters and pay off their inflated contract. It makes no sense. I'm furious that Elias is doing this to the kid, and I respect Mike. It's just wrong. Big time WRONG.                           FREE COBY MAYO.

Do you want him to be an Oriole for an extra year? Then step off the ledge Ron Goodyear. He will be with the club in mid August. Don’t blame the front office for this delay. Blame the weird service time rules employed by MLB.

1 minute ago, accinfo said:

Ok Mike Mussina resigned with the Orioles the first time.  He would have signed again if Angelos didn’t low ball him and dismantle the team.  

I heard the Orioles trading BJ Surhoff was a major reason why Mussina left besides getting initially low balled contact offer from Angelos.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

Again.......like all things that you post.  You are so far off base even a school girl could pick you off.

Again....how many youngsters have we had sign with us long term the past 30 years since Cal?  How many have even expressed an interest?  There is a reason why.  We don't treat them as the special players that they are.  I will name Manny as an A1 example. 

I will wait.......

waiting.gif

Wait, you would honestly be happy if we gave Machado the contract he has now? Like, we'd have him until 2033? Do you realize he's a 1 win player on a 350M dollar contract who is at -7.5 dWAR? That's what you want this team to do? That would show competence?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Let me know when Soto starts hitting piss missiles. 

If he gets into 15 games before getting sent back down, I would be surprised if he gets 10 PA.  He only starts if there's another infield injury and if that happens, the O's have bigger problems. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I heard the Orioles trading BJ Surhoff was a major reason why Mussina left besides getting initially low balled contact offer from Angelos.

Mike's brother is one of my best friends.  I am real familiar with what happened there.  I don’t want to go back down that rabbit hole here again but he wanted one example and I gave it to him.  I do now feel I need to take another shower for engaging him though. 😄

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Malike said:

Wait, you would honestly be happy if we gave Machado the contract he has now? Like, we'd have him until 2033? Do you realize he's a 1 win player on a 350M dollar contract who is at -7.5 dWAR? That's what you want this team to do? That would show competence?

Calmer than you are. 

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1