8/06 @ Toronto (Cito still sucks)

3 minutes ago, Say O! said:

I like how Gunnar is now taking the time to gather himself and make on point throws to 1B, rather than always throwing on the run. 

I noticed that as well.

This all goes back to coaching.   I don't think the major league coaching staff has any control over the MLB club.

9 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

That's one of the reasons that taking Smith out and bringing in Soto in the first place was so stupid. It was too early to be matching up, especially since Smith was pitching fine and Soto has already shown that he's a dumpster fire.

No it wasn’t. The pen is fresh and another arm is coming up tomorrow. No reason not to match up. 

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

No it wasn’t. The pen is fresh and another arm is coming up tomorrow. No reason not to match up. 

Yes it was.  Soto has been terrible, expecting him to come in and pitch better than he had since he put on an Orioles uniform was dumb.  Smith was rolling, should have stuck with him.  Lord knows he couldn't have done worse than Soto did.  Hyde over thinks the matchup game, and it backfired on him tonight.  

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

I get the frustration but you don’t acquire someone to get LH hitters out and then bail on him with 48 games left after two bad performances. 

After today he gets backed off. 

He had sucked prior to today.  We didn't need him blowing the game today to back off on him.  Should have let him work things out in non-high leverage situations.  Not in a key moment like that when Smith was dealing.

Just now, forphase1 said:

Yes it was.  Soto has been terrible, expecting him to come in and pitch better than he had since he put on an Orioles uniform was dumb.  Smith was rolling, should have stuck with him.  Lord knows he couldn't have done worse than Soto did.  Hyde over thinks the matchup game, and it backfired on him tonight.  

You make an investment in trading for the guy and you want the manager to say screw it after 2 games?

Do you get why they brought him in? 

5 minutes ago, gtman55 said:

What are you talking about??? We had one hit all night. The batter represented the go ahead run. Smith was pitching well and Hyde yanks him for dumpster fire Soto because he's a lefty?

The 6th inning with 2 outs man on 1st is not a high leverage situation.  It won’t show up on any statistics as one even if you keep saying it is.  

4 minutes ago, EddeeEddee said:

Well, it was a lefty left matchup.  Chances are he gets out.  The problem is that under today's rules you have to leave him in for at least three batters.  So after melting down within 3 batters I'm guessing Hyde is thinking "why burn another arm this inning when our guys are not hitting anyway?"  I give Hyde a pass tonight. 

But if it happens again, mainly later in the game or where our bats are hot, I would be more angry.  

I don’t think you put a guy with control issues in a 1 run game with a runner on. At least not until you’ve built some trust up with the guy. Soto wasn’t an elite arm that was traded for.