Grayson Rodriguez 2024

Spy Fox

Obviously losing Grayson for a significant amount of time, which looks likely based on the reported injury, is going to be tough to overcome. 

The Orioles will have lost Bradish, Means, Wells, and now Grayson which meant 4 of the 5 projected starters or depth starters are now out with significant injuries. 

With already losing Bautista last year, the Westburg and Mateo injuries this year, and this team has really gotten beaten up with injuries. 

The post that showed that Suarez has actually pitched similarly to Grayson as a starter this year does give me some hope that it won't be a knock out punch, but it does make it unlikely this team is going to win the Division now. Suarez did pitch well last night, but he's pretty much a five inning starter that still going to have some real bad games mixed in with his good ones.

I guess we need to see how long Grayson is going to be out before getting too upset, but yep, this is certainly a gut punch. 

53 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The Dodgers are although we will see for the playoffs. 

We’re definitely feeling the consequence of not drafting pitching. LA brought up Ryan from AA and he’s been great. Now Buehler is nearing a return and Ryan (who looks superior) goes back to the minors. For all the things we are, we still have a very obvious weakness. 

Just now, UMDTerrapins said:

We’re definitely feeling the consequence of not drafting pitching. LA brought up Ryan from AA and he’s been great. Now Buehler is nearing a return and Ryan (who looks superior) goes back to the minors. For all the things we are, we still have a very obvious weakness. 

The Dodgers also put more of an emphasis on the bullpen. 

9 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Obviously losing Grayson for a significant amount of time, which looks likely based on the reported injury, is going to be tough to overcome. 

The Orioles will have lost Bradish, Means, Wells, and now Grayson which meant 4 of the 5 projected starters or depth starters are now out with significant injuries. 

With already losing Bautista last year, the Westburg and Mateo injuries this year, and this team has really gotten beaten up with injuries. 

The post that showed that Suarez has actually pitched similarly to Grayson as a starter this year does give me some hope that it won't be a knock out punch, but it does make it unlikely this team is going to win the Division now. Suarez did pitch well last night, but he's pretty much a five inning starter that still going to have some real bad games mixed in with his good ones.

I guess we need to see how long Grayson is going to be out before getting too upset, but yep, this is certainly a gut punch. 

Don’t forget Coulombe too. With Bautista, Coulombe, Bradish, Grayson and Means, they’ve now had serious injuries to arguably their 5 best pitchers from the team prior to the Burnes and Eflin additions.

Overall I think the Orioles probably still have about the expected rate of pitcher injuries, but they’ve certainly disproportionately hit their best pitchers. 

The other door it opens is do you now ask Burnes to work more often on 4 days rest?    

My understanding of some of his fury with that org is that he did it for them late in 2022, his ratios eroded some, and in Arb that winter the Brewers went for the argument of he stumbled down the stretch, to earn themselves a happy camper.

SP5 is gone in the playoffs, but it can also be minimized considerably in September.    Eflin, Rogers and Kremer I think would mostly be glad to pitch more.    Povich v. Irvin will be an interesting call when we get the IL move from this.    Heck, it could even be Akin and we begin the era of bullpen games for the few instances a SP5 is a must.

1 minute ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

Don’t forget Coulombe too. With Bautista, Coulombe, Bradish, Grayson and Means, they’ve now had serious injuries to arguably their 5 best pitchers from the team prior to the Burnes and Eflin additions.

Overall I think the Orioles probably still have about the expected rate of pitcher injuries, but they’ve certainly disproportionately hit their best pitchers. 

Yeah, good point, I forgot to add Coulombe who was a huge loss for the pen. Hopefully he'll be back by the end of September though. 

Sure could have used him last night because Perez would have been in the Soto role.

4 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

Yea that’s the issue. The injuries are attacking the guys that just aren’t replaceable.

• Upvote 2

I think it we need to see Irvin. He has stretches of being really effective:

1. 2.43 ERA, <1.000 WHIP from August-September 2023 (33.1 innings)

2. 1.69 ERA, ~1.000 WHIP from April 21-June 7 2024 (48 innings)

That's exactly what we need right now. His last appearance was 3 innings, 1 run, 4 hits, 0 walks, 5 K's. Perhaps he turned the corner from his brutal stretch. 2021-2023 would suggest he isn't a 79ERA+, 1.4 WHIP guy, so I think he's due for some positive regression. 

I imagine we see Suarez back in the rotation and Akin up, but that's not what I'd do. I've seen enough of Povich this year and McDermott is hurt.

Having great pitching is a baseball cheat code.  It is so hard to keep these guys healthy, whether in the majors and minors.  I really like Elias' strategy around drafting projectable position players.  While that may lead to not enough pitching, I think its a high floor strategy that can allow you to win a world series over a 10 year competitive landscape.  I have no issue with the drafting strategy.

On the other hand, I think Elias needs to take more swings at the free agency pitching apple.  For example, two years ago, Bassitt signed for 3/63.  Such a low risk move.  He is just an average (give or take pitcher), but at least has the ability to give you competent innings.  You just need far more of that going into any season.  These guys all break.  It sucks.   

• Upvote 1

Grayson’s injury just further reinforces they need to add two SPs this offseason, not just one to keep/replace Burnes. Even with Grayson, Eflin, Kremer and Rogers, you need at least 6 SPs to make 5 healthy ones at any given time. 

And even more importantly, you need at least 4 playoff-caliber SP to give you the best shot at having 3 standing when you get to playoff time. 

59 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I’m sure we will hear that he’s going on the IL. Hopefully the severity of things will be known.  Hopefully this is the strain that is the least severe.

Yeah. I’m sure IL.

Just wondering if severity is revealed today or not.