Orioles, Matt Bowman Agree To Minor League Deal

oriolediehard

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/08/orioles-sign-matt-bowman-reliever.html

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/bowmama01.shtml?utm_medium=linker&utm_source=www.mlbtraderumors.com&utm_campaign=2024-08-15_br

The Orioles have agreed to a minor league pact with right-handed reliever Matt Bowman, reports Jon Heyman of the New York Post. The ZS Sports client recently opted out of a minor league deal with the Twins. Bowman’s deal in Baltimore pays him a prorated $1MM base salary and contains an upward mobility clause next week (Aug. 22) and a straight opt-out clause on Aug. 28.

Baltimore will be Bowman’s fourth organization of the season. He’s pitched in both the majors and minors for each of the Twins, D-backs and Mariners as well in 2024. His big league work includes a 5.40 ERA in a small sample of 15 innings, but he’s posted an excellent 2.05 ERA with a 28.9% strikeout rate and 6.6% walk rate in 30 2/3 innings at the Triple-A level. Originally a 13th-round pick out of Princeton by the 2012 Mets, Bowman has pitched 200 1/3 MLB frames across parts of six seasons. He owns a career 4.22 ERA, 18.8% strikeout rate, 8.3% walk rate and 55.6% grounder rate in the majors.

14 minutes ago, HowAboutThat said:

I’ve followed Bowman since he was a Rule 5 pick by the Cards.

hes very smart, with a fancy degree from somewhere(sadly I forget) and has had some success. He’s not gonna make anybody forget Bautista, but I’m happy he’s aboard.

Sounds like Mike Mussina. I'll take that performance from him.

7 hours ago, HowAboutThat said:

I’ve followed Bowman since he was a Rule 5 pick by the Cards.

hes very smart, with a fancy degree from somewhere (sadly I forget) and has had some success. He’s not gonna make anybody forget Bautista, but I’m happy he’s aboard.

Princeton

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Three Run Homer said:

Is it too late to bring Vinny Nattoli back?  

When you have Bryan Baker on your roster, it makes sense to try someone else, anybody else.  

Sadly Vinny is in the Mets system now. Was dumb letting him go so quickly 

13 hours ago, HowAboutThat said:

Sadly Vinny is in the Mets system now. Was dumb letting him go so quickly 

Maybe I'm remembering wrong but I don't think there was much the O's could do to keep him at the time.  They had a roster crunch and I don't think Akin or Baker were with the team.  This was before GRod and Webb were put on the DL.  

8 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

Maybe I'm remembering wrong but I don't think there was much the O's could do to keep him at the time.  They had a roster crunch and I don't think Akin or Baker were with the team.  This was before GRod and Webb were put on the DL.  

Yes, there was a roster crunch, but at the time I think there was at least one guy in the pen who could have been optioned, I don’t remember who it was.

• 2 weeks later...