Elias missed not picking up Jorge Lopez

LookitsPuck

2 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

With the Cubs: 18 games, 0.44 ERA, 1.11 WHIP

Yeah, at the time, I thought what is there to lose.  If he's no good, just release him.  Instead we got mfing Soto, who's a gascan.  Probably would have energized the team because he would have been excited to be back here.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Yeah, at the time, I thought what is there to lose.  If he's no good, just release him.  Instead we got mfing Soto, who's a gascan.  Probably would have energized the team because he would have been excited to be back here.

Agreed. And Lopez cost basically nothing whereas Soto cost multiple arms and Soto has the issue of not being great against righties. Was bizarre.

10 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

Lopez has struggled a lot of times in critical situations when on teams in contention which could be an issue here.  He was great here went to Twins and was awful for them in playoff race.  Then te Twins stunk next year was sent to Marlins at the deadline and was terrible for team in playoff contention and let go before coming here and being pretty bad last year in race.  This year he was played for bad team in New York, the worst ever if you ask him, then blows up and goes to Chicago another team not in the race.   

25 minutes ago, interloper said:

Agree with the OP. I was in favor of giving him another shot. Thought his Mets drama was super overblown and I had no issue with what occurred. He wasn't even having a bad season with the Mets either.

Didn’t he throw his glove into the stands?

• Upvote 1

Look up "volatile reliever" in the dictionary and you see a picture of Jorge Lopez.  In hindsight it seems like he would have been a good pickup, though as others have mentioned I'm not convinced he would do a good job in the pressure cooker of a playoff race.  No issues with Elias saying thanks but no thanks.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, LookitsPuck said:

I was in favor of taking a flyer on Jorge Lopez too. It was a no risk move the O's could have claimed him and easily released Lopez if it didn't work out. Instead we have to run the likes of Burch Smith three days a row during the eighth inning of a two run game.