We're going to be okay.

interloper

Also appreciate your optimism but not feeling it either.  Maybe they can continue to hang onto one of the wild card spots. 

This seems like the make or break stretch for sole ownership of first place in the AL EAST.  Could see the Yankees getting some real separation.  They already won 6-0 today while 1 hitting Cleveland.  Orioles have 4 against Houston then 3 at Dodgers.  Yankees have the Rockies this weekend at home.  Brutal.  

31 minutes ago, interloper said:

The team is 0.5 games back and the roster is a hot mess. They just need to keep treading water. Is this a world series winner? Maybe not, but what other team has that many important players coming back right before the playoffs? Let's see what happens. 

Good post, just didn't want to copy everything in the reply. I'm resigned to the fact that whatever happens this year happens. Make the playoffs, don't make the playoffs. Win in the playoffs, lose in the playoffs. It is what it is. It's very hard to overcome the kinds of injuries the team has been dealt this year. 

• Upvote 1

I think we need Eflin’s stay on the IL to be the minimum amount, we need Burnes to bounce back, and we need Kremer to pitch some big games like last year.

I think if we get at least 3 out of 5 solid turns in the rotation, it may help everything settle in a bit to at least make the playoffs and allow for the other reinforcements to come along.

Also, the offense has gotta heat up again one would think and I think some better starting pitching should take some pressure off. 

Edited by Grt 2BA FL Gator

1 hour ago, interloper said:

Eflin is coming back.
Akin is coming back.
Coulombe is coming back.
Webb is coming back.
Westburg is coming back.
Grayson is coming back.

Gunnar has (mostly) put his defensive issues aside. We're no longer talking about the yips. And he's hitting some home runs again. 

Do we have a closer? No we do not. I expect they will continue to use Cano and Dominguez, and then maybe even Coulombe if he looks right. I almost wonder if they will try Akin just to take a look. 

Dominguez has only allowed 4 hits as an Oriole, but they're all homers. That feels a bit unlucky to me. 

I think Young will come up and bolster either the rotation or the bullpen. 

There's a chance Slim Povich found some mental switch that will help him up here. 

We have Mayo and Kjerstad as potential September 1 guys. 

The team is 0.5 games back and the roster is a hot mess. They just need to keep treading water. Is this a world series winner? Maybe not, but what other team has that many important players coming back right before the playoffs? Let's see what happens. 

First of all,I really, really want to agree.I love this team with all my heart. Yes, they MAY All come back and assuming we make the post season thats really where the games matter most. The ONLY concern is, will these  players have had enough work to get back into competitive performances and truly deliver like they did before. We just dont know that..If these players all revert to what they were before...indeed we will be OK..maybe MORE than just OK!

Corbin Burnes needs to start pitching well again.  He's been concerning the past few games.  

That said Suarez, Kremer and Povich really showed something each of their last times out.

Assuming Eflin and Grayson come back ok, then I'm guessing Suarez or Kremer goes to the pen if Povich stays up.  Or perhaps Povich to the pen to finish the year.  Maybe it's best if Grayson finishes the season in the pen if the lat remains a concern.

We need to find creative ways to bolster the bullpen even if Coulombe and Webb come back healthy and effective.  Others have mentioned Brandon Young, though perhaps McDermott too.