If Mateo gets an operation elbow does that lead to Orioles leaving him of the 40 man this offseason?

Gurgi

16 minutes ago, rm5678 said:

Is that the same surgical procedure that Tyler Wells had?

I think it’s different than Wells since it’s a “reconstruction” not a “repair”.  I believe it is the same as Bradish and DeGrom (plus the flexor repair).

25 minutes ago, Warehouse said:

Bryce Harper returned from Tommy John in a little more than 5 months and it’s Mateo’s non-throwing arm, so opening day 2025 should still be in play.

But do you tender him a 3-4M deal?  I’m not sure it was 100% going to happen anyway..but what about now?

Its not a major decision but it’s an interesting one.

2 hours ago, Ripken said:

Yes, he'll still be able to not hit next season.

It’s like the old joke about the guy who has surgery and asks the doctor “when I’ve recovered, will I be able to play the piano?”   The doctor says “sure.”  The guy responds, “that’s great, I never could play it before!”

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

But do you tender him a 3-4M deal?  I’m not sure it was 100% going to happen anyway..but what about now?

Its not a major decision but it’s an interesting one.

That's a tough decision when like probably 70% of his value is in his defense.  I would think about offering him a 2 year deal.  Does he go for a 2 year/$6 mill deal?  Mateo is one of those guys if things don't go his way, he's looking at a major league vet  minimum salary or even milb deal in a year.