Lately, the offense really DOES suck

4 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Really lucky to be 3-4 this past week. Easily could have gone 1-6 if not for the Santander slam and the Holliday pinch hit 2B.

The offense has certainly been putrid and someone needs to step up. Over the last ten days:

Gunnar (.719) has been below his norm and his .319 OBP over the last days is nothing to write home about

Adley (.512 OPS), Santander (.566), Mountcastle (.559), Holliday (.461), Jimenez (.444) and O'Hearn (.285 OPS) have all been terrible.

When a team is batting Austin Slater lead off, it has problems. 

And good Lord, while he can have some professional at bats, Jimenez is a slow, DH who hits a lot of balls on the ground has no play on a championship team.

Eloy when he was hitting line drives and finding holes was really fun. But we've asked ourselves, rightfully so, if it's sustainable to have a BABIP that high, even if the balls are being hit very hard, especially with his "speed". And the answer is: no.

Also, Austin Slater also has fallen off. But these are largely role guys getting more time than they should because of either injury or performance (Mayo). 

But it really doesn't matter if guys like Santander, Gunnar, Adley, O'Hearn, etc. all keep struggling. 

I realize I annoy much of this crowd on this page with my so called "obsession " with this, but I cant help but believe that giving Coby Mayo a shot wouldn't make this offense worse.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 He's got to be a better option than Emmanuel Rivera. And maybe, even as a DH for now, he MIGHT light a fire on this offense. To paraphrase John Lennon, "It cant get much worse". This offense, night after night is crickets quiet until later in the game and then it's a few inconsequential runs or runs that just come up short. We can do better. But they wont bring up Mayo for at least another week , if then.

3 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

I realize I annoy much of this crowd on this page with my so called "obsession " with this, but I cant help but believe that giving Coby Mayo a shot wouldn't make this offense worse.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 He's got to be a better option than Emmanuel Rivera. And maybe, even as a DH for now, he MIGHT light a fire on this offense. To paraphrase John Lennon, "It cant get much worse". This offense, night after night is crickets quiet until later in the game and then it's a few inconsequential runs or runs that just come up short. We can do better. But they wont bring up Mayo for at least another week , if then.

I'd think the goal is to give him at least 2 weeks down there to try any necessary adjustments.  The 2024 book is not written on Mayo yet.  I'd rather go down with Mayo at 3B then Rivera.  If this isn't our year, then lets at least get our guys some experience.  Heck, even if that is going with Basallo some at C with Adley basically full time DH'ing.  

6 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

We can't afford his lack of defensive prowess at 3B. Ramon is better suited at the hot corner. DH would make a lot of sense in place of Eloy or even 1B. It might be prudent to put Mountcastle on the IL to let him get some rest and heal appropriately instead of rushing him back. They've already played down multiple days at this point. 

Below is our typical starting lineup with August stats.

Starting players August with:

OBP starting with 2: 5/9

wOBA starting with 2: 4/9

xwOBA starting with 2: 6/9

In April, we were 14th in OBP, 4th in wOBA, 2nd in xwOBA.

Player

OBP    

wOBA

xwOBA

Colton Cowser

Anthony Santander

Gunnar  Henderson

Ryan O’Hearn

Adley    Rutschman

Ryan   Mountcastle

Jackson.     Holiday

Cedric Mullins

Ramon Urias

Orioles overall

Team rank

1 hour ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

What sucks worse lately?  Our offense or our fair weather fans?

Don't confuse complaining/venting with being a fair weather fan.  A fair weather fan wouldn't bother to keep watching or posting during tough times...

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Otter said:

Don't confuse complaining/venting with being a fair weather fan.  A fair weather fan wouldn't bother to keep watching or posting during tough times...

I'm not saying fans who have things they would like to see improved about the team, which is most of us.  I'm singling out the fans who are negative 90% of the time and post 10X as much when things go wrong as when they go right. 

1 hour ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I'm not saying fans who have things they would like to see improved about the team, which is most of us.  I'm singling out the fans who are negative 90% of the time and post 10X as much when things go wrong as when they go right. 

Is it possible that more things are going wrong than right (slumps, injuries, performance) lately hence the uptick. Asking for a friend.

5 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

They could have recalled Mayo today but instead it's Livan Soto. 

2 minutes ago, rm5678 said:

They could have recalled Mayo today but instead it's Livan Soto. 

My only guess is they decided not to because the O's are facing at least 2 (potentially all 3) righties in LA, so that means a lot of LHH time. 

1 minute ago, LookitsPuck said:

My only guess is they decided not to because the O's are facing at least 2 (potentially all 3) righties in LA, so that means a lot of LHH time. 

You may be right. And if they wait for the Rockies series to bring him up, he will retain rookie status for next year. So hopefully we'll see Mayo in a few days.