Lately, the offense really DOES suck

Since the last TB game, their top 9 hitters with the most PA’s have wRC+’s of: 91, 105, 94, 24, 50, 182, 16, 48, 56. 

So one guy hitting well (pretty clear who that is) one guy slightly above average (Gunnar, but still bad for him), 2 guys slightly below average (Cowser and Santander), and 5 guys that have been absolutely terrible (Holliday, Rutschman, Jimenez, Mouncastle, O’Hearn). 

• Upvote 1

The Orioles have now scored more than 4 runs in 4 of their last 17 games, 2 of their last 12, and 1 of their last 8. 

They have more than 7 hits in 6 of their last 17 games and just 1 of their last 8.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

He’ll be fine over there..he just needs the reps and consistent time.  Let him practice there all winter.

But... he also needs to hit. If he doesn't hit and he doesn't show good defense, what is the backup plan?

14 minutes ago, interloper said:

We win games where we hit at least 2 home runs. We lose games where we hit 1 or 0.

It's just that simple. 

We win games when we score at least 1 more run than the other team. Doesn't get more simple than that. 😉

1 minute ago, Jagwar said:

But... he also needs to hit. If he doesn't hit and he doesn't show good defense, what is the backup plan?

I mean, him hitting is the least of my worries. He will hit.

But OHearn will be back be back next year and Basallo also comes into play at some point as well. 

If he’s not traded, Kjerstad as well could be a potential option.

I totally agree but watch it there are those out these still believing in the inflated stats. I often say the Orioles numbers looked good because they will score 15 runs then the next 3 or 4 games they will average like 2 runs so it inflated their stats but they don't even do that anymore.  it's like so common for them to score 3 or less it's was I anticipate anymore. 

I decided to compare the Orioles' recent 12 game slump and August slump with the slumps of the other 6 top offenses in runs per game.   Here is what I found.

Arizona (5.33 runs per game) had a 12-game stretch of 37 runs and a .623 OPS.   They had a month where they had a .656 OPS and scored 3.73 runs per game.

The Yankees (5.06) had a 12-game stretch of 44 runs and a .646 OPS.  Their worst OPS month was .740 and their worst run month was 4.67 runs/game.

Baltimore (4.95) is in a 12-game stretch of 43 runs and a .573 OPS.   August has been its worst month, .684 OPS and 4.46 runs/game.

The Dodgers (4.94) had a 12-game stretch of 34 runs and a .615 OPS.   They had a month of .730 OPS and a month of 4.33 runs per game.

Kansas City (4.87 runs/game) had a 12-game stretch of 30 runs and .551 OPS.   They had a month of .681 OPS in which they scored 3.78 runs/game.

The Twins (4.86 runs/game) had a 12-game stretch of 35 runs and .612 OPS.  They had a month of .688 OPS, 4.32 runs/game.

The Phillies (4.86 runs/game) had a 12-game stretch of 36 runs and .640 OPS.   They had a month of .725 OPS, 4.46 runs/game.   

So, in terms of their worst 12-game stretch, the O's had the second-worst OPS of the 7 teams, but scored the second-most runs, and a lot of these teams scored WAY fewer than we've scored the last 12.   In terms of the worst month, we had the second-worst OPS, but are tied for the second-most runs scored per game.   

For me, the basic lesson is that even good offenses slump, and from a run-scoring perspective, our slump hasn't been as bad as most other good offenses have had.  The problem is, WE ARE IN OUR WORST SLUMP RIGHT NOW, NOT SOMETIME IN THE PAST.   Hopefully that ends real soon.   Tonight would be a good night to start breaking out of it.

The offense is very offensive right now.  Not much else to really be said.  It's pathetic, and a shell of what it was to start the year.  Sure, some of that is injuries, but some of that is our stars hitting the ground, hard, without even a dead cat bounce to make us feel better.