For all the Kevin Brown haters(or fans, like me)

Roy Firestone

33 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Not everyone will like every announcer. I'm sure Jon Miller had people who did like him because he wasn't Chuck Thompson.

I do think it's a pretty low minority of fans that dislike Brown calling games.

He absolutely can be corny, occasionally cringeworthy, and still sometimes forgets when his antidotes fit into a game or when they should be used at another time, but he's also does his home work, has a good voice, and overall is very good play by play guy.

I'm happy he'll be sticking around even if he will make my eyes roll occasionally. Pretty sure his only real hater is @Moose Milligan! :D 

You summed up my list of grievances.  Overall, not a lot of feel for the game aside for some obvious moments...upbeat and cheerful when the Orioles are getting their brains beaten in.  I find his voice to be average but not offensive.

I've said before, he's middle of the pack for me...behind Thorne and Mel Proctor...but ahead of Jim Hunter and Scott Garceau.  I would absolutely listen to him before listening to those two.  

I can see why people like him, he's just not my cup of tea.  

EDIT:  Also, I was on record last year as saying the Angelos incident was ridiculous and uncalled for.  He obviously did nothing wrong and Angelos was being a thin-skinned idiot.

Edited by Moose Milligan
  • Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

Ben and KB are so awesome together. 

Agree. And Palmer works too. But is it just me, or is Palmer losing patience and tolerance for the off the wall smart aleck from time to time? Like saying, "Okay, whatever, Kevin..." lol

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Not everyone will like every announcer. I'm sure Jon Miller had people who did like him because he wasn't Chuck Thompson.

I do think it's a pretty low minority of fans that dislike Brown calling games.

He absolutely can be corny, occasionally cringeworthy, and still sometimes forgets when his antidotes fit into a game or when they should be used at another time, but he's also does his home work, has a good voice, and overall is very good play by play guy.

I'm happy he'll be sticking around even if he will make my eyes roll occasionally. Pretty sure his only real hater is @Moose Milligan! :D 

All valid criticisms, but like you, overall, I like him a lot.  Maybe not as much as @Roy Firestone 😉 but I've grown very comfortable with him and associate him thoroughly with Orioles baseball.  I'm glad he'll be around for awhile. Kevin Brown is like your local newscaster.  I live in a small market - Charleston, WV - but I've grown used to the local newscasters - so much so that when I travel to much bigger markets, and I watch the evening news, I can't help but think "who are these rubes and why are they on TV?"  🤣

Edited by BRobinsonfan

I watched the Dodgers telecast last night and enjoyed it. They pump in a little crowd noise which makes it seem like you are sitting in the stands. Kevin Brown has turned into the YouTube highlight guy too much. Every home run or diving catch seems like the best one you’ve seen all year. I try to catch an opposing team broadcast on MLB TV once a series to stay neutral.

I love when Kevin Brown is in the booth with Big Ben or Jim Palmer (all three is the best). They crack me up and I like the stuff that he says. I'd rather have a fun booth than just strictly a "X is happening right now" type of guy. I can see the game. I don't need that much play by play (although he is good at it). 

I really liked the call of Santander's grand slam the other night. I always get hyped when Big Ben gets into the game and becomes just a little bit of a fan.

1 hour ago, now said:

Agree. And Palmer works too. But is it just me, or is Palmer losing patience and tolerance for the off the wall smart aleck from time to time? Like saying, "Okay, whatever, Kevin..." lol

It always come off to me that Palmer is playing into with sarcasm, but in a jovial way. It seems to me that they have a good relationship.

I neither like nor dislike KB’s little jokes and cultural references.  I think he’s very good at calling the game action when it’s happening and at drawing information out of Jim and/or Ben.  I like his voice, and his enthusiasm for the game.  

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I neither like nor dislike KB’s little jokes and cultural references.  I think he’s very good at calling the game action when it’s happening and at drawing information out of Jim and/or Ben.  I like his voice, and his enthusiasm for the game.  

People make way too much of a big deal about his references, as if he's doing it non stop. 99% of the time he is just calling the game knowledgeably. He pulls interesting stats. He gets damn near every pitch and name right. He corrects himself if he gets something wrong. He has good baseball insights. 

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, interloper said:

People make way too much of a big deal about his references, as if he's doing it non stop. 99% of the time he is just calling the game knowledgeably. He pulls interesting stats. He gets damn near every pitch and name right. He corrects himself if he gets something wrong. He has good baseball insights. 

I agree with this.  I think all the talk here about his references and whatnot is way overblown.  He has a great feel for dramatic moments - like the recent GS call that Frobby referenced, as a perfect example.  His called indicated that he was crystal clear on how dramatic hit was - 'Oh my goodness gracious, a grand slam!!! - as if he couldn't believe what he was seeing right in front of him.  Much like I felt, and I imagine many others.

I wonder if he'll eventually replace Karl Ravech as the main SNB announcer; I note they had the backup in for the O's game this past weekend, perhaps Kevin is third on the list now....

25 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

If it was already reported, I was re-reporting it , I guess.I didnt know about his extension until last night.

Palmer was actually joking with him on air about it last night.