Brandon Hyde quote after loss to White Sox

Pat Kelly

Are some of you still living and dying with each game? Even a 100-win team is going to lose 62 games a year. This is not a 100-win team, but a team that's going to the playoffs. 

The other team gets paid too, and yes, the White Sox are putrid, but even they will have days that go their way. 

The Orioles just went 4-2 against the Rockies and Whitesox. That was the minimal acceptable record because you can never expect a sweep. 

Yankees lost, so this banged up team is still in first place on September 5th. 

Let's start "living and dying" with games come October. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Are some of you still living and dying with each game? Even a 100-win team is going to lose 62 games a year. This is not a 100-win team, but a team that's going to the playoffs. 

The other team gets paid too, and yes, the White Sox are putrid, but even they will have days that go their way. 

The Orioles just went 4-2 against the Rockies and Whitesox. That was the minimal acceptable record because you can never expect a sweep. 

It's becoming a bit much.  I was annoyed that they didn't show up last night to sweep the Sox, and more annoyed that the Yankees lost, too...had a great opportunity to beat the worst team in baseball history and get a game up on the Yankees.

But oh well.  It's another day, there's still some baseball left and this team is 99% headed to the playoffs...which means, they're going to the playoffs.  

The living and dying with each and every game and obsessing over the Glenn Davis Tr...er, Trevor Rogers trade is just over the top.  

The billion dollar Dodgers got blown out last night by a team that’s 20 games under .500. It happens, but last night still stings because the White Sox aren’t just bad, they’re historically bad ala the Washington Generals bad. You can recognize that sometimes really bad teams have a good game, and still be pissed that a really bad team whooped us. Both things can be true. 

If we can continue taking 2/3 of each series we’ll win the division and a bye. That should be the goal. 

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Yea but if we don't live and die by every pitch in every game, then I won't be as mad at the team, and then I won't be able to come to OH and complain.  And I won't get the entertainment of watching others do it too.  

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

It's becoming a bit much.  I was annoyed that they didn't show up last night to sweep the Sox, and more annoyed that the Yankees lost, too...had a great opportunity to beat the worst team in baseball history and get a game up on the Yankees.

But oh well.  It's another day, there's still some baseball left and this team is 99% headed to the playoffs...which means, they're going to the playoffs.  

The living and dying with each and every game and obsessing over the Glenn Davis Tr...er, Trevor Rogers trade is just over the top.  

Living and dying with every play and being outrageously emotional is game thread stuff. lol 

Once it's over, time to go back to the reality. While the Orioles are a flawed team, it's a team that will be in the playoffs. How deep they go will depend on a lot of factors, but that's for another thread.

No, Hyde is not going to get fired or resign, no should he. As fans, we are never going to agree all the time with the moves made by the manager or coach, but as I've always said, the overall results are what counts.

The Orioles are in first place by a half game over the Yankees in September 5th. If you had told me that on opening day, I would have taken that especially if you would have told my that Bradish, Wells, Means, Rodriguez, Westburg, Coulombe and Webb would all be on the IL and probably only Webb is pretty assured of being back and ready go soon.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, OriolesUpAndDowns said:

Yea but if we don't live and die by every pitch in every game, then I won't be as mad at the team, and then I won't be able to come to OH and complain.  And I won't get the entertainment of watching others do it too.  

Ha, that's what the game threads are for. We just have to make sure not to bleed it over to the rest of the board.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

That's a fair perspective and good reset button for folks like myself who have been very frustrated with this team.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Living and dying with every play and being outrageously emotional is game thread stuff. lol 

Once it's over, time to go back to the reality. While the Orioles are a flawed team, it's a team that will be in the playoffs. How deep they go will depend on a lot of factors, but that's for another thread.

No, Hyde is not going to get fired or resign, no should he. As fans, we are never going to agree all the time with the moves made by the manager or coach, but as I've always said, the overall results are what counts.

The Orioles are in first place by a half game over the Yankees in September 5th. If you had told me that on opening day, I would have taken that especially if you would have told my that Bradish, Wells, Means, Rodriguez, Westburg, Coulombe and Webb would all be on the IL and probably only Webb is pretty assured of being back and ready go soon.

You didn't even mention Mountcastle and Urias, and that Kremer isn't on the IL but might not be able to make his start tomorrow!

The Orioles played the White Sox 7 times this year, and won 6 of them. You really can't expect much better than that. The Orioles just need to keep winning series again, play around 500ish ball, rest people when they can and get healthy for October. 

• Upvote 2

Fretting over one game is understandable at this time of year,  playing the worst team in the league,  having your most consistently good starting pitcher on the mound, and only scoring one run in the first inning and then nothing the rest of the game.   That is frustrating and i get that people expected more.   Each game gets amplified in importance this time of year.

Then again,  the year that Suarez has had, given how we found him and what expectations were at the beginning of year is like playing with house money.   I  suppose he is allowed a stinker every now and then.   For me,  I'm more concerned with the offense come playoff time.   There are way too many guys that are not producing that we really need to step up. 

13 hours ago, Punchandjudy said:

Buck up Roy…and most everyone else for that matter.  The regular season doesn’t matter at all anymore.  The Rangers weren’t the best team in their division last year, much less the AL, and certainly not in baseball yet they were the champs.  They got hot in the playoffs and won it all despite their crappy pen.  No reason this team can’t do that.  Get GRod back, Columbe, Westburg…Gunnar or Santander goes on an Adonis Garcia run.  Just get in the playoffs and roll the dice.  Marginal teams can win it all, the Rangers showed the world how it’s done.  Stop living and dying with every game. Those days died with playoff over-expansion.

I'll take the "both things true" option on this question. In other words, the above is obviously true and a popular sentiment; yet, here's the other side of it:

The playoffs don't matter at all anymore. The Rangers weren’t the best team in their division last year, much less the AL, and certainly not in baseball yet they were the champs.  They got hot in the playoffs and won it all despite their crappy pen. Our Orioles may do the same, or they may not. It's a roll of the dice. A better gauge of our quality is the full season, even though the drama is spread out over six months instead of one game/week/month. Just finish strong and be proud of our division title. Marginal teams can win it all in the playoffs, so stop living and dying with that short sample size. The days of a meaningful championship died with playoff over-expansion.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Pat Kelly said:

Isn’t Brandon Hyde more or less indicting himself with this observation after tonight’s game?

"We didn't play good baseball tonight. Offensively, we didn't put the ball in play enough. We just got beat. They played better than we did. They played with more energy, intensity."

Leadership and good leaders privately hold people accountable and publicly accept responsibility.    Part of Hyde’s role is getting the Os mentally ready to play every night.   Need to win games and yes sweep series against bad teams.

Once again, Hyde didn't get a hit, draw a walk, score a run, or even lean into a pitch to help this team.  Disgusting!