Most disappointing prospects of 2024?

Frobby

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I just don’t put much weight on initial MLB performance.   I’m more disappointed with Beavers for going backwards at a level he was at already than Holliday and Mayo for not being successful at the highest level of the sport on the first try.  Am I disappointed they didn’t do better in their first crack at the majors?  Yes.  But others disappointed me more given my view of things.  

I don't have MLB expectations for most of those guys so I can't be that disappointed in their struggles.  I've never thought of Beavers as being more than an up and down guy at best.

2 hours ago, btdart20 said:

A new job hasn't allowed me to follow as much as I have in the past but...

Holliday.  He had a great 2023 season to earn an age 20 debut.  But expectations for 2024 rose with his performance as well.  I'm one to give a longer leash and still think he can turn the corner quickly.  But I've only seen glimpses of who I expect him to be.  Nothing consistent yet.  Maybe my expectations were too high.  But then again he was the consensus #1 prospect...  

International pipeline.  How many FV 60's were in @Tony-OHpost-2023 writeups?  Tavera,  DeLeon, Sosa, Liranzo.  Plus Almeyda.  Not all is lost but none lived up to my expectations. Or at least none had a breakout I was hoping for.

We'll need a bounceback thread to kickoff the MiLB offseason shortly.

Sosa plays like a guy who picked the game up a year or two ago.

2 hours ago, Warehouse said:

I still expect him to be a very good player.   However, I was hoping for 70 grade bat-to-ball and instead he had a 21.8% in-zone whiff % at Norfolk.  His Tides OPS was powered by a 20% walk rate which won’t stick at the big league level.  I was hoping for solid SS defense and plus 2B defense, but it looks more like solid at 2B and maybe not viable at SS.

Going into the season I was hoping for perennial MVP candidate and now have tempered my outlook to occasional All-Star.  I recognize he is 20 but so are the other Jackson’s.

This is kind of where I'm at with Holliday as well.  Maybe my expectations were to high for him.  The good thing is he is so young still.  I won't be surprised if he turns into a perennial All Star or league average 2b.  

I've been pretty disappointed in Mayo's lack of defensive development at 3b too.

In the minors I'd go with Beavers or De Leon.  I saw Beavers play in person a few times last year and he looked like a guy who was just starting to grow into his body. 

I have never seen De Leon pitch in person but the drop in command is concerning.  Although I would be curious if they just let him start at the beginning of the games if he would be more consistent. 

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I just don’t put much weight on initial MLB performance.   I’m more disappointed with Beavers for going backwards at a level he was at already than Holliday and Mayo for not being successful at the highest level of the sport on the first try.  Am I disappointed they didn’t do better in their first crack at the majors?  Yes.  But others disappointed me more given my view of things.  

Beavers has not progressed this year, but most of his performance decline at Bowie is batted ball luck:

2023:  34 G, .321/.417/.478, .410 BABIP

2024:  114 G, .239/.344/.413, .285 BABIP

He actually has a higher gap between OBP and batting average this year, as well as higher isolated power.

He's a better hitter than his numbers this year indicate...and we got too excited by his helium-inflated 2023.  

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

Beavers has not progressed this year, but most of his performance decline at Bowie is batted ball luck:

2023:  34 G, .321/.417/.478, .410 BABIP

2024:  114 G, .239/.344/.413, .285 BABIP

He actually has a higher gap between OBP and batting average this year, as well as higher isolated power.

He's a better hitter than his numbers this year indicate...and we got too excited by his helium-inflated 2023.  

.285 isn’t outrageously bad luck. 410, on the other hand….

• Upvote 2

Outside of Basallo, I can't name one prospect I'm excited to see in Baltimore.

After seeing a string of guys that had video game numbers in the minors completely flop in the majors,  what are all of these guys that are merely "good" minor leaguers going to do when they get called up?

Going into spring training, I was expecting Holliday to need 50-70% of a year in AAA before he was really ready. He was called up after 10 games and clearly had things to work on, and now has 73 AAA games this year and 91 lifetime under his belt.

I'm willing to cut him some slack and at least write off that first stint, and I have some optimism mostly because that mini hot streak in August showed what he could do when things are clicking. So he's been a bit of a disappointment but not as much as someone who went from prospect to non-prospect.

1 hour ago, Yossarian said:

Outside of Basallo, I can't name one prospect I'm excited to see in Baltimore.

After seeing a string of guys that had video game numbers in the minors completely flop in the majors,  what are all of these guys that are merely "good" minor leaguers going to do when they get called up?

Ask Connor Norby 

37 minutes ago, terpoh said:

Norby was on a heater that got everyone overreacting. I hope he has a long MLB career. But he is also 0 for his last 17 now with 7 k's. People want to ignore that though to fit the narrative.

That's true but in fairness he did drive in two runs by advancing runners in Thursday's game-something current Orioles seem incapable of.

Elias could not have foreseen the injuries, some guys just need an opportunity and he wasn't getting it in Baltimore. 

Dylan Crews robbed him on a 24/30 ballparks HR in the highlight of the game last night.

The Marlins are probably NL East last place indefinitely - we know in 2026 a team like the Orioles will want Sandy Alcantara, and Norby and Stowers have a good opportunity to play themselves into players playoff contenders would want to give roles too.

After thinking about this, I think we’re all missing the easy one in Jackson Holliday. We’re all in such denial of how bad Holliday has been this year. .171 AVG with a .520 OPS.

We really had high hopes for Beavers so much so that Holliday’s failures aren’t the biggest disappointment?

Not bashing Holliday, or being pessimistic about the future, but the numbers are what they are. The #1 overall pick, the consensus #1 prospect in all of MLB for a year +. Obviously, he’s young, but the results are what they are. 

There were plenty of pitchers each year that would best a .520 OPS. Just reality.