Clubhouse issues?

Sports Guy

4 hours ago, Just Regular said:

The cameras caught Hyde racing out of the dugout perhaps even before O'Neill touched home.   I don't think that's typical behavior, but I could give a grace if he needed a few extra seconds to be ready for the Holliday play question in the presser about 10 minutes ahead.

Hyde wears his emotions on his sleeve so he probably needed to get out of there because if we're frustrated, you can only imagine how he feels. 

The Holliday error was an absolute back breaker that changed the entire situation from 1st and 3rd with two outs (assuming they would walk O'Neill) and the Red Sox having two lefties coming up against Akin, to 1st and 3rd, one out, and Akin needing to face a lefty masher.

When you're that close to getting away with a win, and your 2nd baseman can't make a simple, routing play, it was frustrating. He can't be seen screaming "WTF" so he ran into the dugout and probably screamed it in there.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Platooning Westburg????   He played in 101 of 109 games before getting hurt.   He was never platooned, unless your definition of platooning is giving a guy an occasional day off in the long grind of a season.

Platooning Mayo?   He has 10 starts.   6 vs RHP, 4 vs LHP.

Absolute nonsense.

Also don't forget that just because a player may not show a platoon advantage vs the other side, or even has slight "backwards splits",  often the pitcher does have an extreme platoon disadvantage, so even if the player is platoon neutral it or slightly backwards, could STILL be the correct move to get the bat in against the pitcher who gets hit hard by righties..

The Orioles clearly value the pitcher's splits over the hitter's splits.

14 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Hyde wears his emotions on his sleeve so he probably needed to get out of there because if we're frustrated, you can only imagine how he feels. 

The Holliday error was an absolute back breaker that changed the entire situation from 1st and 3rd with two outs (assuming they would walk O'Neill) and the Red Sox having two lefties coming up against Akin, to 1st and 3rd, one out, and Akin needing to face a lefty masher.

When you're that close to getting away with a win, and your 2nd baseman can't make a simple, routing play, it was frustrating. He can't be seen screaming "WTF" so he ran into the dugout and probably screamed it in there.

I also wonder if he was mad at Akin. He has made some comments about guys making mistakes when they have been directed to pitch around (rather than intentionally walk) dangerous hitters. 

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/brandon-hyde-s-take-on-why-the-o-s-issue-so-few-intentional-walks

5 hours ago, LGOrioles said:

Holliday has a .454 OPS since his last HR, just over a month ago. They are unquestionably better with Urias/Westburg at 3B/2B. They would be better off with literally any middle/corner IF combo on the roster that doesn’t include either Holliday or Mayo. 

FWIW, watching Mayo on Mon/Tue, he seemed to me to have made some progress on dialing in his timing. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him start putting up some better results with the bat in the next few games if he's allowed to play.

2 hours ago, HowAboutThat said:

So, you are correct, we have no idea what goes on in there. But it would be ridiculous to think there isn’t any friction that needs to be dealt with. And dealing with it is Hyde’s job.

That's pure speculation. 

I know you've got an axe to grind against Hyde but until things are confirmed and out in the open that's all we can do...speculate.  And look for confirmation biases.  

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

I also wonder if he was mad at Akin. He has made some comments about guys making mistakes when they have been directed to pitch around (rather than intentionally walk) dangerous hitters. 

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/brandon-hyde-s-take-on-why-the-o-s-issue-so-few-intentional-walks

Perhaps, but if so, that's a bad policy. You risk exactly what happened if a pitcher misses during a pitch around. Pitchers are not perfect, but IBB almost always are.

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Perhaps, but if so, that's a bad policy. You risk exactly what happened if a pitcher misses during a pitch around. Pitchers are not perfect, but IBB almost always are.

Ha. I said in the game thread we should walk him. However, that was a borderline case. You also don't want to put the go ahead run on 2nd. IBB reduces the chance of a dagger HR but allows a base hit to win it. 

How does anyone think Dean's answer to the question has anything to do with a clubhouse issue? The reporter asked a sort of dumb question to a pitcher. Dean can only do what he can on the mound to the best of his ability. Like he said, that's his job, not "turning the team around". 

Honestly guys, there's nothing to see here.

8 hours ago, Orioles0615 said:

We can’t just keep using the injury excuse. The Orioles aren’t the only playoff teams beat up. Look at the Dodgers 

You mean the team with a 238 million dollar payroll that has won a whole four games more than the Orioles? Come on. It's a lot easier to handle injuries when you've got a quarter of a billion dollars invested in payroll.  

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, BRobinsonfan said:

We can if it happens to be the truth.  The Orioles aren't the Dodgers, particularly when it comes to payroll.  

And the Dodgers have won a whopping four games more than the Orioles! You can make a strong cate that the Orioles have actually handled injuries better than the Dodgers. 

33 minutes ago, BRobinsonfan said:

We can if it happens to be the truth.  The Orioles aren't the Dodgers, particularly when it comes to payroll.  

34 minutes ago, BRobinsonfan said:

I was accused of "crying about payroll " when I stated that fact earlier. You can sweep some stuff under the rug at that dollar amount.

Theyreleased a player that would have been the fourth highest paid player in Baltimore...they are on a different level. 

1 minute ago, maybenxtyr said:

I was accused of "crying about payroll " when I stated that fact earlier. You can sweep some stuff under the rug at that dollar amount.

Theyreleased a player that would have been the fourth highest paid player in Baltimore...they are on a different level. 

The incessant emphasis on payroll is not productive and yes, comes off to me as whining.  Our wins mean more because the payroll is lower.  Our ability to overcome injuries is more impressive because our payroll is lower.    You can't expect us to win win other teams spend more.  Every year it's a constant refrain of one of more of these tropes.

Boohoo the game isn't fair.  It wouldn't be fair with a salary cap.  You think the Lakers and the Wizards have the same ability to lure free agents? 

Y'all act like the Orioles payroll is somehow an anomaly and not the norm for other teams that manage to stay competitive. 

• Upvote 1