When everyone gets back

Three Run Homer

Frankly it's kind of depressing to watch the Orioles these days, because their lineup and bullpen have been so ravaged by injuries.  But, we are told that many people will return before the end of the season.  So here is something to look forward to:  our optimal starting lineup and staff when everyone is healthy (well, everyone except for Mateo, Bradish, etc):  

Catcher:  Rutschman

1B:  Mountcastle

2B:  Westburg

SS:  Henderson

3B:  Urias/Rivera platoon

Outfield:  Santander, Cowser, Mullins/Slater platoon

DH:  Kjerstad 

Other bench players:  McCann, O'Hearn, utility infielder for defensive emergencies only who can play 2B and SS (Livan Soto)

Rotation:  Burnes, Eflin, Suarez, Grayrod, Kremer (one of them goes to bullpen for playoffs)

Bullpen:  Cano, Dominguez, Webb, Coulombe, Perez, Irvin, Akin, Bowman, Soto (or Anderson if he shows enough at AAA)

DFA Kimbrel, Jimenez, Maton, Burch Smith

Farmed out/off the playoff roster:  Holliday, Mayo, Povich

None of this should be too controversial except my suggestion that Kjerstad should be the everyday DH over O'Hearn once he returns.   The way I see it, O'Hearn is in a swoon and like Rutschman has become a millstone in the middle of the lineup.  Kjerstad deserves a shot to claim this job.  O'Hearn becomes our main pinch hitter against RHP; Rivera, Urias or Slater can PH against lefties.  

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Three Run Homer said:

Frankly it's kind of depressing to watch the Orioles these days, because their lineup and bullpen have been so ravaged by injuries.  But, we are told that many people will return before the end of the season.  So here is something to look forward to:  our optimal starting lineup and staff when everyone is healthy (well, everyone except for Mateo, Bradish, etc):  

Catcher:  Rutschman

1B:  Mountcastle

2B:  Westburg

SS:  Henderson

3B:  Urias/Rivera platoon

Outfield:  Santander, Cowser, Mullins/Slater platoon

DH:  Kjerstad 

Other bench players:  McCann, O'Hearn, utility infielder for defensive emergencies only who can play 2B and SS (Livan Soto)

Rotation:  Burnes, Eflin, Suarez, Grayrod, Kremer (one of them goes to bullpen for playoffs)

Bullpen:  Cano, Dominguez, Webb, Coulombe, Perez, Irvin, Akin, Bowman, Soto (or Anderson if he shows enough at AAA)

DFA Kimbrel, Jimenez, Maton, Burch Smith

Farmed out/off the playoff roster:  Holliday, Mayo, Povich

None of this should be too controversial except my suggestion that Kjerstad should be the everyday DH over O'Hearn once he returns.   The way I see it, O'Hearn is in a swoon and like Rutschman has become a millstone in the middle of the lineup.  Kjerstad deserves a shot to claim this job.  O'Hearn becomes our main pinch hitter against RHP; Rivera, Urias or Slater can PH against lefties.  

Leaving Holliday off the postseason is pretty controversial. Mayo, not at all. Keep in mind the big hit vs the Astros was a pinch hit. I think even if Westy and Ramon come back fully healthy, there’s a lot of value there off the bench and with his speed. 

You simply can't assume these players will suddenly play at a high level after missing months of a season.In fact, I think it's doubtful Westburg and Mountcastle will play at even their own level. I'm not trying to be negative, but it's a lot to ask. Same goes for Grayson, Coulombe, and Webb.It will be something or a miracle if thee players ALL play up to their mid season form. But theres always hope.

• Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, wildcard said:

If Rivera continues to hit for a 900 OPS he may play 1B.

I don't see anything controversial above playing the guys that are playing the best.

If Mountcastle doesn't come back they almost have to keep Rivera as the RH 1B option. He may even be the correct choice against RHP.

• Upvote 1

I don't think Mountcastle will be back. Westburg will be a shell of his pre-injury self (which is still better than most of what they have now). Urias should be back and serviceable.

And I am still not convinced there is a spot for Kjerstad. We have way too much LH OF/DH already.

I am a little more optimistic about Webb and Columbe. I am starting to think GRod will be a reliever bc there is just not enough time to build his innings up.

Mayo, Rivera, and Maton will be replaced by Westburg and Urias on the playoff roster. I think Soto sticks for speed/pinch runner.

2 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

You simply can't assume these players will suddenly play at a high level after missing months of a season.In fact, I think it's doubtful Westburg and Mountcastle will play at even their own level. I'm not trying to be negative, but it's a lot to ask. Same goes for Grayson, Coulombe, and Webb.It will be something or a miracle if thee players ALL play up to their mid season form. But theres always hope.

I’m not really putting any hope into these guys (1) coming back at all, or (2) coming back as if nothing happened.  

I might add that there were times in June/July when most of these guys were healthy and playing, and yet the team was still playing very mediocre baseball.

I’m now going to give my opinion on the most important player to our final 15 games and the postseason.   It’s not any injured player.  It’s Adley.  The guy joined the team in late May 2022, played well almost right away (maybe 3-4 weeks offensive struggle), and fhe team began playing well most immediately.  He played extremely well all last year and the team won 101 games.  He played at an all star level the first half of this year and the team was excellent.  He started struggling in late June, and the team has struggled ever since.   He’s the straw who stirs the drink.   Maybe not the best player, but the most important.  As Adley goes, so do the Orioles.  Book it.  

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1