Which Povich do we get on Sunday?

Roy Firestone

The youngster has shown us glimpses of dominance, and then, the very next start he is awful. Into the 8th inning against the White Sox with 10 strikeouts and no walks, he pitched one of the best games of ANY Oriole starter this season. But the  start before, against the Dodgers, he was bombed, and the game AFTER his great performance against Chicago he was battered by the Red Sox. We could really use a series win with a good start b Povich against Detroit. But I'm done trying to figure this guy out. He can be great one start and horrible the next. What do you think will be his line on Sunday?

He’s been great at home and awful on the road so that isn’t good but he has been great vs lefties and horrible vs righties and the Tigers are left handed heavy so that is good.  He has been god awful in the day but pretty good at night but the Tigers hit better at night.  So with all that said who the heck knows he is a rookie in his 14th start. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• They also missed Muncy for about 90 games, who has been worth 2 WAR in 60 games. The injuries are clearly a factor for the O’s, they’re just not the main reason they’re this bad. Imagine the Dodgers injuries, but Ohtani having his OPS drop by .100 points, Will Smith turning into a replacement level catcher, and Teoscar Hernandez having his wRC+ drop by 30+ points. That’s pretty much what happened to the O’s.
    • Probably, but Irvin was (IMHO) not making the playoff roster and not coming back next year so I guess it's a coin flip. I probably would have kept Irvin over Kimbrel but it's not a difference maker that's for sure. 
    • From 2018 to 2022 the Orioles under Elias tanked to rebuild this system. Even started and enhanced an international presence. Hyde endured those years and led the team to 101 wins last year and the Eastern Division Crown. Was named Manager of The Year. IMO, for Elias to now fire Hyde, he'd have to think and show this year was Hyde's fault. I don't see any way that happens and if he would, I would start a fire Elias thread because he would have shown a side I don't think he has. Because to me, this year is more on Elias than Hyde and Elias isn't going anywhere either. Now, after this season, it will get interesting on both fronts
    • Yeah they are only 5 games better than us too.  I think I saw other day they were 25 games over .500 with Betts in lineup and 4 games over without him in lineup.  
    • The sleepwalking and body language of this team STARTS with the manager. Therefore, my heart says to put him on the hotseat. But knowing Mr. Analytical, he'll keep Hyde around. Long term, I still maintain Hyde is not the one to take this team to a WS. Bochy showed that in the playoffs last year completely outmanaging Hyde in the 3 game sweep.
    • Hopefully the deep and abiding friendship between Victor Robles and Justin Turner won't be too strained by the incident. The Astros played a thrilling game out West last night too. Now is kind of a digging in Zen moment because a lot of wonderful baseball is being played, and the Orioles still get to participate as best they can. The Rangers 2024 results kind of make 2023 look like more of a blip, and the long term principle the Astros are the AL's best team until proven otherwise look more sound.     Sure, Corey Seager beat Alex Bregman in one Game 7 and had other good stuff happen so he could win that "Everybody said what was gonna happen...I guess we'll never know" exchange. Now Bregman can say we know what happens if the Rangers lose 200 runs year over year, and wait to see if the Rubenstein budget lets the Orioles bid higher than Dana Brown.    Just in case, you know, Elias feels like Robinson Chirinos, Adam Frazier and Corbin Burnes' teaching "how to win" hasn't been enough.
    • I’m with you on Bradish. For my money, he’s better than Burnes and would have been their ace. They didn’t need to replace 70 starts though. If you give Burnes, Kremer, Eflin, and Suarez both 2 more starts, that gives you 89 between those 4 and then 109 with Rodriguez. Bradish, Wells, and Means started a combined 15 games, so that’s 124 between that group. So that’s 38 starts from lower quality pitchers.  I just posted that the Yankees missed Judge last year for 56 games (about 250 PA’s that are much more valuable than what the O’s have missed this year) and their fall off was much less dramatic. I’m also not even saying it’s on Hyde, I’m saying it’s on the players to figure it out. The injuries obviously do play a part, but you don’t go from a .636 W% from last year through 6/20 of this year, and a .662 W% the first 74 games of this year, to a .455 W% (and near bottom 5 team in the MLB) the last 77 games due to the injuries you mentioned. Coulombe and Bradish were the only ones who missed that whole time chunk too (while being major contributors the first few months), they started struggling with Rodriguez, Westburg, Mountcastle, Mateo, Urias, and Webb still healthy. 
  • Popular Contributors