Will the Orioles make the playoffs?

LookitsPuck

Will the Orioles make the playoffs?  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Orioles make the playoffs?

• Yes
    • No

11 minutes ago, Too Tall said:

I think (voted) they will, but the humane thing may be that they don't because this is not a playoff caliber team as currently constructed. If last year's playoff experience was a lesson - this year could be a full-scale train wreck. 

You absolutely never know what could happen when the playoffs start probably more of the same but you don’t know.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I’ve thought up until now the O’s at least had a wildcard spot secured. I no longer have that confidence in the team. I think they make it by the skin of their teeth, but I wouldn’t bet money on it. 

And they still do. Do you know what would have to happen for them not to make the playoffs there is only 11 games left. Now I totally understand that if any team can do it, they can. Statistically it’s just so improbable.

7 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Yes we will but it's going to be ugly and we won't go far.

Royals are under 500 for the month and another one of their relievers had to leave the game the other day because of injury.

We’ll see. Hopefully we can get healthy and get these guys some game reps before the playoffs, especially Westburg and Mountcastle.

9 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I’ve got a sneaking suspicion we’re witnessing one of the all-time collapses. I voted no. 

I agree with you. They’ve just shown us absolutely no reason to believe they’re suddenly going to wake up. Rather, they’re falling further asleep. Even if we only have to win three games, I’m not sure we can do it. Getting a single win somehow feels impossible right now. Hell getting a single RUN feels impossible in most of these games, and these depleted ass lineups are getting worse and worse. 

Just now, Fiver6565 said:

I agree with you. They’ve just shown us absolutely no reason to believe they’re suddenly going to wake up. Rather, they’re falling further asleep. Even if we only have to win three games, I’m not sure we can do it. Getting a single win somehow feels impossible right now. Hell getting a single RUN feels impossible in most of these games, and these depleted ass lineups are getting worse and worse. 

I'd feel better about the chances if we didn't have to play Detroit, a team on the outside that's looking in...6 times in the span of a week and a half or whatever.  

The Yankees will eat our lunch, the Twins always give us fits.  We looked lifeless last night against the Giants.

I mean, it's baseball so anything could happen but it doesn't look good.

1 hour ago, Spakman said:

And they still do. Do you know what would have to happen for them not to make the playoffs there is only 11 games left. Now I totally understand that if any team can do it, they can. Statistically it’s just so improbable.

I think you have to look beyond the probabilities in this case. Those percentages aren’t factoring in how awful this team is right now, or how red hit the Tigers are. Yes the Tigers aren’t necessarily chasing us, but they’re putting a ton of pressure on the teams that are. 

I think if we do make it, it will be a road series. I think we’re going to fall close enough to out to lose the four, at the very least. 

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'd feel better about the chances if we didn't have to play Detroit, a team on the outside that's looking in...6 times in the span of a week and a half or whatever.  

The Yankees will eat our lunch, the Twins always give us fits.  We looked lifeless last night against the Giants.

I mean, it's baseball so anything could happen but it doesn't look good.

Yes it’s the lifeless part that has me looking sideways at the 99% playoff talk. I don’t know how anyone can watch this team and feel 99% confident that they’ll lock this up. 

I couldn’t even watch after it was 3-0 last night, the way Snell was slicing and dicing. I turned on Det-KC. The Tigers are really playing well, taking good ABs up and down the order, pitching out of their minds (won the first 2 in KC and Skubal hasn’t pitched yet, he goes today). They are going to clean our clocks this weekend, and if they sweep us, that 99% isn’t going to be looking so hot. 

When the 2011 Red Sox sat at 83-52 on Aug. 31, I wonder what the odds were of them not making the playoffs.  They proceeded to go 7-20 to end the year and got Andino'd and Longoria'd right out of the playoffs on the last day within about a 10 minute stretch of time.  So anything is possible with our team and the way we are playing. 

Where are our wins coming from?  Even if we steal one against the Giants, what happens to the odds if Detroit sweeps us and then we have to actually win games in New York and Minnesota.  We scored 6 runs in 27 innings in Detroit and never saw one pitch from Skubal.  So who are we beating?  If we get shutdown by this Birdsong guy tonight, then what?  We have had worse pitchers than him totally mystify our lineup.

FYI, the Tigers play the Rays and White Sox in Detroit to end the season.  They could easily go 5-1 against those teams.

10 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I’ve got a sneaking suspicion we’re witnessing one of the all-time collapses. I voted no. 

This definitely getting scary. I mean, does it really hurt anymore than this if we cling to a playoff spot and get bounced in the wild card rd?  Maybe it makes us feel like we got our money’s worth for Burnes because he made one playoff start. 

There’s no more panic, this is reality.