Cardinals open to trading Sonny Gray

casadeozo

Not sure if it’s been shared already, but saw this and thought he would totally make sense as someone to target in the offseason. Cardinals are looking to reduce payroll, though not sure what a reasonable offer looks like for a 35 year old pitcher making 25 million a year for the next two years.

A very light free agent class this year. Someone will definitely overpay for Burnes and I hope it’s not the Orioles. Severino, Buehler, Bieber and Max Fried are also intriguing.

What say you?

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/09/report-cardinals-open-to-offers-on-sonny-gray.html

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, casadeozo said:

Not sure if it’s been shared already, but saw this and thought he would totally make sense as someone to target in the offseason. Cardinals are looking to reduce payroll, though not sure what a reasonable offer looks like for a 35 year old pitcher making 25 million a year for the next two years.

A very light free agent class this year. Someone will definitely overpay for Burnes and I hope it’s not the Orioles. Severino, Buehler, Bieber and Max Fried are also intriguing.

What say you?

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/09/report-cardinals-open-to-offers-on-sonny-gray.html

It can’t hurt to do research on him and place a call to Cards GM & see what’s involved . We need SP help . 

Gray is actually due $65M. $25M next year, $35M in 2026, and a $5M buyout on a $30M mutual option in 2027. Plus he has a no trade clause

Not really any surplus value there. He could be worth close to 2/$65M, but pretty much no way he exceeds it. Doubt I would give up more than a bag of balls if they had to take on the whole contract.

With all the pitching injuries these days a 35 year old starter making $25 million and then $35 million scares the crap out of me. If I'm dipping that deep into my purse I'd rather just sign 32 year old Blake Snell in the off season.