Playoff Losing Streak

ChangeRoadUnis

12 minutes ago, ChangeRoadUnis said:

So, we've now lost 9 straight playoff games. Will we make it 10 tomorrow?  This team gives me no indication they are capable of winning a pressure game.

We’re going to be the Minnesota Twins of the 2020s. Didn’t they lose 18 straight games to the Yankees in the 2000’s?

I'm sure the majority of us here suffered though the Yankees teams of the mid-90s to the 2010s. The one that annoyingly found a way win games, especially playoff games, with big hits and highlight reel plays from multiple players. Well, two years in to this current playoff run I don't see a single Oriole player that shows even a hint of that clutch gene. They all seem to shrink in big moments. I usually don't subscribe to this idea in sports, but this group has played 4 really, really bad playoff games an no one (other than arguably Burnes who is gone) has stepped up. I love the guys on this team but I am seriously questioning if the have "it".

1 minute ago, Tbone83 said:

I'm sure the majority of us here suffered though the Yankees teams of the mid-90s to the 2010s. The one that annoyingly found a way win games, especially playoff games, with big hits and highlight reel plays from multiple players. Well, two years in to this current playoff run I don't see a single Oriole player that shows even a hint of that clutch gene. They all seem to shrink in big moments. I usually don't subscribe to this idea in sports, but this group has played 4 really, really bad playoff games an no one (other than arguably Burnes who is gone) has stepped up. I love the guys on this team but I am seriously questioning if the have "it".

They have literally one memorable moment in the 4 playoff games the last 2 years (Hicks 2 RBI single in the 1st inning of game 2 against TEX) and it came in a blowout loss. That about sums up how unclutch they have been as a team since the playoffs started last year. 

Some of this goes back to the hitting approach and homers or nothing we’ve talked about all year on here.

And it is even magnified more this time of year when you get cool, damp weather like today and tomorrow. You don’t win playoff games and WS by hitting bombs like it’s June or July. The O’s front office and management doesn’t seemed to have figured that out. 

17 minutes ago, LGOrioles said:

They have literally one memorable moment in the 4 playoff games the last 2 years (Hicks 2 RBI single in the 1st inning of game 2 against TEX) and it came in a blowout loss. That about sums up how unclutch they have been as a team since the playoffs started last year. 

Similarly, the biggest (and one of the only other) clutch hits in the playoffs this century was by Delmon Young.

Oriole legends Aaron Hicks and Delmon Young. When are their statues going up?

4 minutes ago, Tbone83 said:

Similarly, the biggest (and one of the only other) clutch hits in the playoffs this century was by Delmon Young.

Oriole legends Aaron Hicks and Delmon Young. When are their statues going up?

The 2012 playoffs probably were my favorite. Beating the Rangers in the WC game and then taking the Yankees to the brink may be the most memorable games. The Delmon Young hit in 2014 and beating Detroit was fun too. But 2016, 2023, and 2024 have been absolute dog shit and just downright pathetic. 

• Upvote 1

This is really tough to watch. I can't seriously remember the last playoff win other than it must have been a long time ago before I gave up on the ownership and all the shitty teams.

Reverse jinx for tomorrow. I am putting 10,000 on KC ML.

1 hour ago, Uli2001 said:

Here is the silver lining: this team could lose 100 playoff games in a row and it would still mean nothing. Look at what's going on in the world.

Well that makes it even more depressing.

1 hour ago, RavensNOsGuy said:

Some of this goes back to the hitting approach and homers or nothing we’ve talked about all year on here.

And it is even magnified more this time of year when you get cool, damp weather like today and tomorrow. You don’t win playoff games and WS by hitting bombs like it’s June or July. The O’s front office and management doesn’t seemed to have figured that out. 

But I am reliably told on a daily basis by Orioles podcasters and pundits that mashing and hitting HRs plays better in the postseason. All the analytics show that....