Does anybody "have" to pitch today?

Just Regular

Down 0-1 in the 3-game format, this is a scenario where if you have any elite relievers, many game theorists would suggest you ought to accelerate them into the competition.

Josh Hader in the 2018 NLCS Game 7 pitching the 3rd-5th innings a famous example by a Raysian organization in the other league.    The Rays themselves shortened Tyler Glasnow to 9 Batters Faced when they beat Gerrit Cole in 2020 ALDS Game 5.

It has been mentioned if you squint for a Witt weakness, maybe it is premium left handed velocity.    Are G. Soto or Cionel guys you have to think about if Eflin isn't dealing or the batters don't give him some runs to work with before the 2nd time through the order?     Cano's recent form hasn't been top notch, and Coulombe may still be slightly rusty, but those are guys who have largely been star caliber relievers for 2 years.

Zach Eflin is a very fine pitcher, but he isn't Corbin Burnes.

There’s not a single pitcher in our bullpen who fits the description you’re talking about. Eflin going deep is our best and maybe only chance today. God knows we aren’t going to outslug anyone, and calling any of our relievers ‘elite’ is a serious stretch. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Disagree with the premise of this post. He had very good statcast numbers in 2023. He didn’t give up homers last year and had a high K rate. His FIp was 3.3 last year, far lower than his ERA. His xERA was also over a run less. The issue was the walk rate. Could he get that down?  If so, he could be a top end high leverage guy. There was a lot to work with and a lot of reason to expect improvement.
    • Aside from elfin. That was clear. Eflin was great.  he should have gotten other guys that were great.
    • If we lose this series, it's a huge disappointment, but that's baseball.  I think Derek Jeter said something to the effect that you win the regular season when you are the best team, and you win the World Series when you are the team that got hot at the right time.   Every team in the playoffs is good.   We are trying to win 2 out of 3 games at home.  During the regular season, the worst team in baseball can win two out of three games against the best team in baseball, and nobody thinks twice.  In football or basketball, the best team is going to win in the playoffs almost all of the time, because luck is not very important in those sports.  But baseball is a game where luck is really important.  A hard hit ball can go straight to the fielder's glove.  A soft-hit ball can find a hole.  A hitter can just miss a fat pitch.   An umpire can miss a call at just the wrong time.   The Royals didn't win yesterday because they have better roster construction or because Bobby Witt has nerves of steel.  They won because Bobby Witt hit a ball that found a hole when there happened to be a runner on third base.  If the O's lose today or tomorrow, it will not tell me much.  It certainly won't tell me that the O's need a massive roster overhaul, or that Gunnar Henderson can't take the pressure, or even that we need a new manager or GM.  Of course the O's need to make some moves over the offseason, and whether Elias makes the right moves will affect our chances of winning the World Series in the future.  But the main way they will matter is through their effect on our regular season record and whether we make the playoffs in future years.   The fact that playoffs in baseball are pretty much a crapshoot is frustrating.  People always want to feel that destiny is in our power to control.  Fans want to think that there's something a GM or manager or player could have done to guarantee that their team would win in the playoffs.  But there is nothing that a team can do to guarantee post season success.  Good team building means making the playoffs.  That's all.  
    • I haven’t looked too closely, but I agree these look to be in the ballpark.  
    • The daily O-Swing% readout for yesterday - Mountcastle 85.7% must have been 6 swings at 7 balls.     43.7% for the team 2nd worst to a presumably exhausted Atlanta unit given the weird circumstances for that club these last several days. https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders/major-league?pos=all&stats=bat&lg=all&type=5&month=0&ind=0&postseason=Y&startdate=&enddate=&season1=2024&season=2024&sortcol=2&sortdir=asc&team=2&qual=1&pagenum=1
    • Erceg has pitched significantly better for KC than he did for Oakland.  He’s a guy who wasn’t even in the majors until age 28, and has 7 blown saves vs. 14 saves in his career.  He had a 5.07 ERA as a minor leaguer.   He’s on a nice roll for KC, so good for him and for them.  We’ll see how he does in the long run.   I’m not saying he’ll revert back to mediocrity, I’m just saying I’m not convinced he’s all that.  
    • Seranthony absolutely makes me nervous and I would definitely prefer Erceg. The question is what the prospect cost would have been. The A's got two pitching prospects coming back which may have been a nonstarter for Elias, or at least made KC's organization a better fit. Also, we still would need to find a taker for Hays. The Eflin trade was A+. I would give Seranthony and Soto more like B. They were upgrades but wish we had done better. Don't get us started again on Rogers!   
  • Popular Contributors