Wieters

VC@WilliamMary

Well if Jordan leaves, as Tony think he might, probably won't have that much confidence in who is drafted.

Liable to end up with another Chris Smith.

That's assuming that there is a complete breakdown between what Jordan thinks they should do and the others. If Jordan presented a case and received a budget of X amount of dollars for the draft and signing Wieters would fit under that and he's not signed then I could see him leaving. I have heard nothing so far that indicates that they've sharply reduced the amount of money they were previously willing to spend. Just speculation on my part... If signing Wieters would require that budget to be increased significantly I doubt he considers going anywhere and likely would even agree w/the decision.

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's assuming that there is a complete breakdown between what Jordan thinks they should do and the others. If Jordan presented a case and received a budget of X amount of dollars for the draft and signing Wieters would fit under that and he's not signed then I could see him leaving. I have heard nothing so far that indicates that they've sharply reduced the amount of money they were previously willing to spend. If signing Wieters would require that budget to be increased significantly I doubt he considers going anywhere and likely would even agree w/the decision.

If Wieters doesn't get signed, it will be because MacPhail didn't want him signed...I have no doubt about that.

I also have no doubt that he will be thinking about himself and not the good of the team as well.

What difference will that make? So we can pick high and NOT sign that guy too? I am so fed up with this organization that I cannot see straight.

I hope those that screamed for Peter to step down (me included at times) are happy with the result!!!!!!!!!:mad:

I just wanted to illustrate how stupid the compensation rule is. A team would have to do worse than it did the year before to come out ahead in the draft if it didn't sign it's first round pick. That's just plain stupid...

i can't believe anybody is defending not signing Wieters. There is no excuse for not getting this done. Give him $15M if thats what it takes. That'd be better than not signing him.

I can't believe anybody would actually advocate this franchise doing something so stupid.

If Wieters doesn't get signed, it will be because MacPhail didn't want him signed...I have no doubt about that.

I also have no doubt that he will be thinking about himself and not the good of the team as well.

SG are you saying that you have heard that MacPhail is just in the O's job to butter up to Selig and the other owners to gain the commissioner's job? Because that's the tone you are giving...

I think I can speak for sane people everywhere when I summarize the Weiters situation as follows:

1. "We Just Don't Know Yet, Do We?"

2. "And We Probably Won't Know Until Wednesday".

We now return you to your regularly-scheduled pre-deadline heart attack marathon...

I can't wait to see how it turns out. Not just the Wieters thing, but *this* whole thing.

So far:

* SG has decided that losing Weiters makes signing Tex impossible too.

* Moose has asked people to *prove* that it *might* get done.

* Several people say that Jordan's gonna be so steamed that he'll quit.

* A handful of folks are threatening to stop being Oriole fans.

Who will blow a gasket next? Any bets on who? Any predictions on how?

It's like a really, really slow train wreck...

It's getting hard to follow the insanity... it's spread like a virus into about 8 different threads... as best I can tell, here are the latest freak-outs:

* JTrea says that Weiter's hasn't signed yet because of MacPhails's conflict of interest, for which MacPhail should be immediately fired... and several others pile on in rabid agreement...

* NMS and others cite the fact that Wieters hasn't signed yet as proof that Nestor is, and always has been, a reasonable person...

Who will flip out next? What will they say? Stay tuned...

I just wanted to illustrate how stupid the compensation rule is. A team would have to do worse than it did the year before to come out ahead in the draft if it didn't sign it's first round pick. That's just plain stupid...
Huh? How a team does the next year is in no way related to where the comp pick will be.

We will get the 6th pick in the draft next year if we don't sign Wieters in addition to whatever pick we'd get normally.

It's getting hard to follow the insanity... it's spread like a virus into about 8 different threads... as best I can tell, here are the latest freak-outs:

* JTrea says that Weiter's hasn't signed yet because of MacPhails's conflict of interest, for which MacPhail should be immediately fired... and several others pile on in rabid agreement...

* NMS and others cite the fact that Wieters hasn't signed yet as proof that Nestor is, and always has been, a reasonable person...

Who will flip out next? What will they say? Stay tuned...

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to rshackelford again.

Damn you and your voice of reason! :rolleyes::D;)

Huh? How a team does the next year is in no way related to where the comp pick will be.

We will get the 6th pick in the draft next year if we don't sign Wieters in addition to whatever pick we'd get normally.

Oh I know but the pick we'd get normally is moved way down on the list. So you get to pick again at that slot but your original pick that you had for the 2008 draft is worse.

I don't think the comp rule is great either...I mean, it could be for your favorite team but overall, i am not so sure.

Let's say the 2009 draft is going to be great...Littered with top guys. Let's also say the 2008 draft is considered one of the worst in years.

The Orioles(or any othr team) could just draft guys, not sign them and then receive the picks for the following year.

I don't think the comp rule is great either...I mean, it could be for your favorite team but overall, i am not so sure.

Let's say the 2009 draft is going to be great...Littered with top guys. Let's also say the 2008 draft is considered one of the worst in years.

The Orioles(or any othr team) could just draft guys, not sign them and then receive the picks for the following year.

That is one of the fears. I would even possibly make sense for a team with the number one overall pick to avoid signing their pick if there are a couple of guys at the top of the next years draft who are better prospects. I.e. the year that Brian Bullington went #1 overall would of been a good year to pass and take the #2 pick overall the following year.

That is one of the fears. I would even possibly make sense for a team with the number one overall pick to avoid signing their pick if there are a couple of guys at the top of the next years draft who are better prospects. I.e. the year that Brian Bullington went #1 overall would of been a good year to pass and take the #2 pick overall the following year.

Yea and what sucks is it could potentially knock your team out of a spot where they could have gotten a potential impact guy.

I really don't like the rule at all...Seems to me it rewards teams for not doing their jobs.

Archived