Wieters

VC@WilliamMary

Not being able to sign him would be very symbolic, yes. To use a nice SAT word, it is a microcosm of the club's front office for the last decade.

But to say the team won't be able to compete for a long time because they don't have Weiters is over the top.

Rosenthal is comparing him to Varitek. Well, Varitek is a fine player and an All-Star on a good season, but if he weren't in Boston, he wouldn't be a household name.

Weiters could be Joe Mauer. He could be Jason Varitek. He could be Josh Phelps.

That said, I'd like to see him here and I'd give him what he wants for that chance he become Joe Mauer with more power. I'm just not counting on it.

Whose decision will it be to not sign Wieters?

Whose job is it to build this team properly?

Hint: The answer to both of these questions is the same person.

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Rosenthal has been doom-and-gloom about the O's forever (which doesn't mean he's been WRONG, of course.)

Still, he does love to see the glass as (perpetually) half-empty when it comes to Angelos and our Birds.

Rosenthal has been extremely fair and accurate in his reporting of the Orioles in my opinion.

He knows the team better than any other national sportswriter. He probably still knows the team better than most of the current local media.

A national writer headlining with "Orioles In Danger of Losing Weiters" doesn't concern you? If we close or things were going smoothly, do you think this would be the angle the article would take? Do you believe there's no difference between that or if the article said "Orioles Close to Signing Weiters"? They COULD be in the same circumstances in both cases, going back and forth, discussing parameters, etc. but if you saw the second headline, you wouldn't assume "gee, things are going well, looks like its going to get done!" Of course you would. Which means to lead with the first headline means things are NOT going well. Theyre NOT close. And we're 2 days away from deadline.

Well, when there was word we were 'close to signing' Vlad, I got happy. Mistake, of course.

My point is, there's no way to know. We don't even know that Weiters will choose to stay in college for another year if we don't put him on the 40-man. That would be a huge risk to take for him. And as a catcher, of all positions (not so bad as being a pitcher, but still.)

The point is, until we're at endgame, we just don't know whether either side is seriously going to stick to its guns on issues that might make or break the deal. If MacPhail has permission to sign Weiters now matter what, then maybe he's just playing Boras's game. All he's got to do is say "okay" in two days and all's good. Any concessions he gets between now and then are a bonus.

If the squabble is over a MLB or minor league deal then that would be even dumber than squabbling over money.

This franchise is completely snakebitten. I will have 0 confidence in Andy MacPhail if he f**** this up.

I have actually heard this name being thrown around.....

Syd Thrift.

This is FRIGHTENING. At least Syd wasn't afraid to acquire young players (granted he had a horrible time evaluating them) or spending money (although we had "Confederate Money" to spend apparently). I wish we had someone with those qualities and COMPETENCE. McFail strikes me as having the latter but not the former qualities. He's seems too pragmatic...and cautious...and penny wise...just like Angelos.

The point is, until we're at endgame, we just don't know whether either side is seriously going to stick to its guns on issues that might make or break the deal. If MacPhail has permission to sign Weiters now matter what, then maybe he's just playing Boras's game. All he's got to do is say "okay" in two days and all's good. Any concessions he gets between now and then are a bonus.

Agree. There is no point in agreeing before you have to do so. Also, we should really wait until after the deadline to take the Jim Jones route.

I have actually heard this name being thrown around.....

Syd Thrift.

Funny you say that because I can see that as well. Scary... :eek:

If we have to suffer through more mis-management and "Confederate money" like during the Thrift era I'll be done with this franchise...

Mna, I did not to see this story. I really hope it isn't a repeat of history, but if sources are saying this, this may not be good.

And yeah, I know the Boras issue is true. Don't be surprised if all is well that Angelos butts in at the last moment & kills the deal. Angelos is pure evil...you need to watch him.

The O's are so close to really be on their way to finding success, & a signing like this can really be a confidence booster to players & fans.

Just a note, we have less time than we think:

Here's how the new rule works: Teams have until midnight ET on Wednesday to sign their draftees. If a drafted player does not sign by Wednesday night -- and that includes having all the I's dotted and T's crossed, including physicals by that time -- they re-enter the Draft pool. If it's a college junior or a player headed to junior college, that means they will be eligible in 2008. For high schoolers who decide to attend a four-year college, they will have to wait until 2010 to enter the Draft odyssey once again.

We can't dilly dally for an 11th hour deal. Realistically this needs to be done no later than Wednesday mid-day to leave time for the physical and other procedural details. And we've heard all the stories of players being signed and "the physical delaying the announcement". They better get moving.

Just a note, we have less time than we think:

We can't dilly dally for an 11th hour deal. Realistically this needs to be done no later than Wednesday mid-day to leave time for the physical and other procedural details. And we've heard all the stories of players being signed and "the physical delaying the announcement". They better get moving.

Can they do the physicals and everything ahead of time? So they can negotiate as long as possible knowing all they need to do to be legit is write a dollar amount and sign it?

If the squabble is over a MLB or minor league deal then that would be even dumber than squabbling over money.

This franchise is completely snakebitten. I will have 0 confidence in Andy MacPhail if he f**** this up.

Right on. It's not like there aren't at least a dozen guys who we could stand to lose off our 40 man roster. Players like Tike Redman, Adam Stern and the mighty Eider Torres don't grow on trees.

Adding Wieters to the 40 man should not be that big a deal. It certainly didn't hurt the Tigers with Andrew Miller, another consensus top player in the draft who fell because and signability and had the 40 man roster in his contract.

Archived