Songs You'd Rather Hear During the 7th Inning Stretch

Philbertun

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The funny thing is, young fans like it too. At student night, I, along with pretty much every high school/college kid were singing and dancing in the LF upper deck durign the 7th inning stretch.

Baltimore loves the song. Doesn't really matter what age you are. It'd legendary here.

I agree with this. I'm 22 and sing and dance along with everyone else in the upper deck (boy its more fun now that I'm over 21). I love TGIACB, but I was just throwing out another idea and seeing what people thought about OAR.

I am so late to this thread, but what the heck. Although it pains me to no ends, I would rather have the tradition stay. However, a more appropriate song (especially the last 10 years or so) would be: "I am a man of constant sorrow" by the Soggy Bottom Boys. :D

Go O's!

sfosfan

You just stepped on my toes big time! My fantasy would be to attend a World Series game at Camden Yards and listen to John Denver sing in person during the stretch. Unfortunately, my dream won't come true short of a baseball miracle and giant advances in cloning.

The best thing is to hear him sing some of the parts with no accompanyment. Wow, I'm physically here on my couch but mentally I am at the yard on a summer night with a cool breeze blowing down through the seating bowl.

When I die, my wife is going to sneak me into Camden Yards and dump my ashes there. I can't wait!:clap3:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bAN7Ts0xBo&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bAN7Ts0xBo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bAN7Ts0xBo&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bAN7Ts0xBo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

This man is on to something. Plus we could substitute the redneck dancing in his suspenders for a guy in a nice turban. And you can't beat Dahler Mendi's moves.

The song is awful and shouldn't be played at a stadium that is not in redneck territory imo.

The bird is the word song would be good, but I have to admit that Family Guy is part of the reason why I'd like that.

Also, as I pointed out in the other thread that was complaining about TGIACB, it's really quite unique. There's a ballparks section in the HoF musuem, and my friend and I leaned against a wall for like 15-20 minutes near this little game where you match up the ballpark with their 7th inning stretch song. Everybody and their monkey's uncle got Sweet Caroline, but maybe 1 in 20 or so knew Thank God I'm A Country Boy (most picked Turner Field).

They were right, it is played at Turner Field. Is it still unique? :D

Were talking about new times then. Something, whatever it is that begins to get played, will be played for a very long time, or we will revert back to TGIACB quickly. OAR is todays generation. Denver is 3 generations ago. Get the young fans involved in something they can relate to.

However, I for one belt out the words to TGIACB everytime I go to OPACY and will continue to do so and love seeing the crowd get into a game because of a song. But the thoughts of this thread were for suggestions.

But two generations from NOW, people will still know John Denver. Nobody will remember OAR.

They play a lot of new music during the game, lots of different genres. That should be enough to satisfy the young, whippersnappers. You know, you gotta be happening, mod. :o

I don't care if there are -1,000 rednecks or country boys at Camden Yards. That song has been playing there during the 7th inning stretch since I can remember coming to games.

It's tradition. It's like yelling "O" during the anthem.

There are things about a game at Camden Yards that you just know you are going to get.

The Warehouse is gonna be beyond right field, and the smoke from Boog's is always going to be lingering out there in front of it. People are gonna yell "O" during the anthem. "TGIACB" is gonna be played after "Take Me Out to the Ballgame". It wouldn't be the same without it. I don't care how stupid it is or if it doesn't match the town or what. It's tradition. And it's a damn good one.

Society has a duty and an obligation to cleanse itself from things that are awful..........even if they are simply "tradition."

Emerson said a "foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." I can't think of a consistency much more foolish than this song. ;)

I've always thought "Wake Me Up When September Ends" was an amazingly appropriate song for an Orioles fan although something tells me the brass wouldn't allow that. :laughlol:

I actually remember hearing that at OPCY, post-game....maybe two years ago in September. I was shocked that they played it.

Archived