Assuming Strasburg, Ackley, and Matzek are gone who do you take?

Im still on the Scheppers bandwagon. But if we were to take a safe pick, rather than go with Gibson as some have predicted and I personally hope does not happen Id rather go with Mike Leake. Maybe if he was 6'6'' instead he would be rated similarly to Gibson.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Let's assume Strasburg, Ackley, Matzek are gone.

Still lots to pick from: Green, Tate, Purke, Turner, White, Gibson, Scheppers, Crow...

Let's assume Green is gone now.

Tate? Purke? Scheppers? Crow? White? Leake? Me, I'd go with Tate. I suppose that good pitching could be dealt for position players later down the road, so I guess we could try to take White or Scheppers or Crow....

But I think our system is painfully thin on position players....

I take Purke or Crow, with a slight preference for Purke right now. I like Gibson too, he reminds me of Tim Hudson.

Completely eliminating an entire portion of the talent pool is just flat-out idiotic.

These college arms aren't that impressive enough to take with the 5th pick IMO. The HS arms have higher ceilings and don't have the mileage that the college arms do.

These college arms aren't that impressive enough to take with the 5th pick IMO. The HS arms have higher ceilings and don't have the mileage that the college arms do.

I'm not disagreeing with that, but to say that we should avoid a guy "because he's a college arm" is not a good strategy.

I personally would take matzek over any of the College arms.

However, I would take Crow, Scheppers, White and maybe Gibson before Purke.

Archived