Assuming Strasburg, Ackley, and Matzek are gone who do you take?

A. Crow

B. Scheppers

C. Purke

D. White

E. Gibson

F. Tate

G. Givens

H. Green

I. Someone else not listed above.

Give your reasons.

I've gone on record saying I'd take Tate.

(Although Scheppers and Green would certainly be tempting....)

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Scheppers because he has decent command and a huge fastball and a good breaking ball.....IMO aside from Strasburg, he will be the best pitcher available... I do not know anything though about how good his 3rd or 4th pitches are(if he has 4).

or

Crow because he has excellent raw stuff, along the same lines as Scheppers but with a good change up that will possibly end up being a plus pitch. He has a big time fastball and breaking ball and maintains his velo deep into games. He is reported as having a bulldog mentality, coming right at the hitter, an attribute that Trembley tagged Arrieta with in ST. Between the two to me its a toss up, but it wouldnt be a bad thing having the top 2 pitches from the 08 draft.....

The bad on Scheppers: He had a shoulder injury last year that put him on the shelf for the draft which enabled him to be dropped to the 2nd round. Is his arm completely healed? I do not know about his 3rd pitch, but since I have not heard one mentioned much I am guessing it needs a bit of refinement, so how much development will his 3rd pitch need to be a successful pitch?

The bad on Crow: He has a tweak in his delivery that MAY lead to injury, but also may not. Also, he may be a bit rusty after a year's worth of no competition at a higher level.

I got my money on the O's taking Crow, but with Schep being a major candidate as well.....

I'll let you know in 25 days. In that group, there are a lot of people clumped together so much that I could almost pull a name out of a hat. I need to see some durability from Scheppers showing that he's recovered from the injury. I need to see Crow perform and show that a year of rust isn't going to affect him. I need to see Green hit for the power he has shown in the past. Purke I just want to see him maintain what he has been doing, HS kids are weird that way, they could look like a top guy and then all of a sudden be a different pitcher, never know where there head is unless they show you. Gibson is still solid. He's like the safe unspectacular pick. He's good if you are looking for supporting cast with some upside, but not going to be an ace if that's what you are shopping for.

This is when I expect some people to really distance themselves. It was about this time last year when Matusz started pulling away from Crow a bit as the best pitcher available, and when Smoak really saw his stock rise.

Tate, assuming you are going to pay him enough to get him signed.

I don't disagree with this, but wouldn't want to pay what it might take to land Tate. I'd have Matzek rated higher right now, anyway, but understand why someone would want Tate instead.

I don't disagree with this, but wouldn't want to pay what it might take to land Tate. I'd have Matzek rated higher right now, anyway, but understand why someone would want Tate instead.

I'd rather have Matzek too. But the thread title says besides him.

I'd rather have Matzek too. But the thread title says besides him.

I'd lean toward Scheppers . . . drive a hard bargain and use the excess cash to go overslot later on. I imagine that Scheppers might be had for 500k to 1MM less than Matzek.

If he stays healthy and consistent, I go Scheppers all the way. If there's any question about his health, I go White.

I've recently fallen off the Green bandwagon. Mainly because I doubt he's going to stick at SS. Shame. :(

Archived