Snyder Finally on BA Hot Sheet

alexei606

Snyder finally made it. BA still says he has problems at 1B - I thought that he has improved.

No. 8 BRANDON SNYDER, 1B

ORIOLES

Team: Double-A Bowie (Eastern)

Why He's Here: .333/.556/.667 (6-for-18), 2 HR, 4 R, 6 RBIs, 7, BB, 7 SO

The Scoop: Snyder makes his 2009 Hot Sheet debut on the strength of his power bat, which has been on display throughout the first two months of the season. The former 2005 first rounder first began to tap into his offensive potential last year at high Class A Frederick, where he showed an improved hitting approach in staying back on offspeed pitches and working deeper counts. And last year's success has spilled over into this year, as the 6-foot-2, 210-pound first baseman leads all Eastern Leaguers in slugging percentage (.616) and ranks among the top five in batting average (.351) and on-base percentage (.422). Below-average range and footwork keep Snyder from becoming an adequate defender, leading to speculation that he will ultimately wind up in the outfield. But as long as he keeps hitting like this, there will always be a place for him in a lineup, no matter the defensive shortcomings.

2009 Stats

Link: http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/prospect-hot-sheet/2009/268202.html

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Below-average range and footwork keep Snyder from becoming an adequate defender

I'm interested in comments on the above from anyone who has seen him play this year. I'm not buying it.

Yeah, I find it hard to believe he doesn't have the range to play 1B - especially if they think he does have the range to play the OF. And a year of playing 1B should take care of footwork issues there.

Bummed out to hear that very strong opinion of his defense. I mean, how hard is it to play 1B? This kid used to be a shortstop!

We'll see. There's a certain endowment effect w/ opinions. BA is quite obviously slow to give up their long-standing opinion that Snyder isn't much of a prospect. Which just goes to show, even respectable folks can have irrational biases.

Snyder deserves more than the qualified praise he's getting there - which basically lauds him on no longer having huge flaws. Seriously, there's not a single endorsement in there save for his stats.

BA makin' me mad!1!!!

Archived