Snyder Finally on BA Hot Sheet

alexei606

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My question ..... wanted to see if Frobby is still taking his blood pressure medicine!

Nah, I really don't care what BA thinks. Just let Snyder keep piling up the hits and extra base hits, and everything else will take care of itself. Here's the quote by the way:

Brandon Snyder (Warehouse): Am I moving into the top 10 1B prospects in the game or do I still trail guys like Mills, Blanks and Allen?

Ben Badler: No, too many other 1B ahead of Snyder to be a top 10 guy. Lars Anderson, Logan Morrison, Yonder Alonso, Justin Smoak, Freddie Freeman, Kyle Blanks, Angel Villalona, the Kila Monster, Chris Marrero, Chris Carter... that's 10 just off the top of my head I'd take over Snyder.

Snyder's putting up better numbers than a lot of these guys, but Badler can think what he wants.

Snyder's putting up better numbers than a lot of these guys, but Badler can think what he wants.

Snyder is about 5 months older than Alonso, and 2 weeks older than Smoak.

Snyder AA 1.038 OPS

Alonso A+ .876 OPS

Smoak AA .947 OPS

So we conclude Smoak is the poor man's Snyder, and Alonso is just playing. I'll assume "just off the top of his head" did similar in-depth analysis on the rest of 'em.

Snyder is about 5 months older than Alonso, and 2 weeks older than Smoak.

Snyder AA 1.038 OPS

Alonso A+ .876 OPS

Smoak AA .947 OPS

So we conclude Smoak is the poor man's Snyder, and Alonso is just playing. I'll assume "just off the top of his head" did similar in-depth analysis on the rest of 'em.

To be fair, this is the first professional season for Smoak and Alonso - so it's not fair to go strictly by age.

They're both very talented. Smoak is clearly better around the bag, and has superior patience and command of the strike zone.

I don't have a problem w/ most of the people on his list - many are younger than Snyder and playing at an advanced level. But his comment was flippant and condescending in how he phrased it, as if Snyder doesn't even deserve to be in the conversation. The superiority of most of those he listed is at least debatable. He acted as if it were not.

Like I said, to reverse course on Snyder now - whether about his bat or his glove - would mean admitting they were wrong about him before. BA is loathe to do that.

I sent this email to Kevin Goldstein at BP to get his thoughts:

Kevin - Really enjoy your work. Could you give us an idea of how much you think Brandon Snyder's improved his stock w/ his performance this year - he's at .351/.422/.616 and on pace for something like 40 2Bs and 27 HRs in a 120 game season. BA included them on their Hot Sheet today (for the first time) but then spent half the write-up disparaging his defense. We Oriole fans (who've been living and dying w/ our MiL players for the past three years, ever-hopeful) have heard that his defense isn't that bad, and steadily improving - which is in line w/ your report in January.

Seems like a great kid, too. Now, while luck might be inflating his numbers a bit, it looks like his second-half tear from last year was real - as evidenced by his great work in the AFL this offseason and his demolition of AA pitching.

Does he play as a better than average AL 1B now? What's his upside?

Thanks for your time....I'm off to worship at the altar of Wieters now (we O's fans turn and pray toward Baltimore seven times a day, you know.)

Best,

Spencer

To be fair, this is the first professional season for Smoak and Alonso - so it's not fair to go strictly by age.

Yes and no. I take your point about strictly using age of course. Since age puts a pretty hard ceiling on your career/reflexes, it is a fair parameter to throw into the equation. By the time they have Snyder's years in the pro's, they have to be in the majors, or they're done. He's probably a fully ready 4/10 debut. In the worst case, I can't see him being rated significantly lower than them. Too bad they wasted those years in college.:laughlol:

Just curious, does BA list on their site or their articles what players they are evaluating at what players they are reporting on. In other words, do they list what parameters they are using for this Hot Sheet? Have they seen all of these players this year? Is it based on what they knew coming into the season and then stats/production? Is it based on what they've heard from people actually at the games over the past week?

I honestly just don't know and haven't ever looked into it.

Just curious, does BA list on their site or their articles what players they are evaluating at what players they are reporting on. In other words, do they list what parameters they are using for this Hot Sheet? Have they seen all of these players this year? Is it based on what they knew coming into the season and then stats/production? Is it based on what they've heard from people actually at the games over the past week?

I honestly just don't know and haven't ever looked into it.

I think the parameters are loose - and largely stat based. Far too often, it seems like they just repeat themselves. I mean, they put Madison Bumgarner on every time he goes six innings and gives up a run. That said, it's basically just listed as a "Staff Report" with 6 contributors.

I think the parameters are loose - and largely stat based. Far too often, it seems like they just repeat themselves. I mean, they put Madison Bumgarner on every time he goes six innings and gives up a run. That said, it's basically just listed as a "Staff Report" with 6 contributors.

Sort of what I figured. Eh, fine for what it is. I would assign zero importance to it.

Sort of what I figured. Eh, fine for what it is. I would assign zero importance to it.

I don't think many of us are. The only real issue I have is the fact they've been slow to come around to admitting how good Snyder's been over the last year, and the persistent talk about his defense, which is in conflict w/ first hand reports we're getting.

I don't think many of us are. The only real issue I have is the fact they've been slow to come around to admitting how good Snyder's been over the last year, and the persistent talk about his defense, which is in conflict w/ first hand reports we're getting.

The question I'd have is who they're getting their first hand reports from. If it's coaches/scouts in the EL, maybe the board is slightly over-valuing. If they are recycling from what they heard in the offseason or last year, that is unacceptable for a source considered to be among the best in covering MiL ball.

The question I'd have is who they're getting their first hand reports from. If it's coaches/scouts in the EL, maybe the board is slightly over-valuing. If they are recycling from what they heard in the offseason or last year, that is unacceptable for a source considered to be among the best in covering MiL ball.

That is the million dollar question. No doubt.

Archived