List Your Personal Top 10

Okay all, there would appear to be enough information available at this juncture to form an opinion on who the top ten draft prospects are. For those of us that have an inclination, please list your top 10 below, and follow that up with players that you are also pretty high on. Again, this is not a mock, but your rankings.

1 ... Stephen Strasburg, RHSP, 6' 5-220, San Diego State, DOB-7/20/88 (20)

2 ... *Dustin Ackley, CF/1B, 6' 1-185, UNC, DOB-2/26/88 (21)

3 ... *Tyler Matzek, LHSP, 6' 3-195, HS (CA), DOB-10/19/90 (18)

4 ... Grant Green, SS, 6' 3-185, USC, DOB- 9/27/87 (21)

5 ... Aaron Crow, RHSP, 6' 2-205, Fort Worth Cats, DOB- 11/11/86 (22)

6 ... #Bobby Borchering, 1B/3B, 6' 4-200, HS (FL), 8/26/90 (18)

7 ... Shelby Miller, RHSP, 6' 3-195, HS (TX), DOB- 10/10/90 (18)

8 ... Jacob Turner, RHSP, 6' 5-210, HS (MO), DOB- 5/21/91 (18)

9 ... Zack Wheeler, RHSP, 6' 4-175, HS (GA), DOB- 5/30/90 (19)

10 ... Mike Leake, RHSP, 6' 0-180, Arizona St., DOB- 11/12/87 (21)

10 guys I am high on:

*Matt Purke, LHSP, 6' 3-180, HS (TX)

Garrett Gould, RHSP, 6’ 3-195, HS (KS)

#Nick Franklin, SS, 6' 1-180, HS (FL)

*Jeff Malm, 1B, 6' 2-225, HS (NV)

J.R. Murphy, C, 6' 0-190, HS (FL)

David Nick, 2B, 6' 2-175, HS (CA)

Derrick Dennis, SS, 6' 3-175, HS (MI)

Josh Leyland, C, 6' 3-220, HS (CA)

Danny Fields, SS, 6' 2-200, HS (MI)

David Holmberg, LHSP, 6' 4-205, HS (FL)

1. Strasburg

2. Matzek

3. Crow

4. Ackley

5. Wheeler

6. Miller

7. Green

8. Scheppers (would be 3-4, but the injury knocks him down)

9. Tate (Probably top 5 in talent, just don't trust his situation with UNC)

10. White (could be a boom or bust at 10)

I use a scale from 1-10 because I severely dislike plain rankings.

1) Strasburg - 10

2) Matzek - 7.8

I still don't believe he was hitting 98 after sitting in the low 90's and hitting 95 recently, but even if he was only hitting 97 or even 96, the velocity increase is enough to make him my #2. His command and control need work, but those should be fixable.

tied for 3) Scheppers 7.5

I'm assuming that JJ knows a lot more about Scheppers' health than we do. This ranking assumes that Scheppers health is fine. I am wary about taking a pitcher who's already been injured considering the O's inability to keep pitchers healthy. I go back and forth between him and Green.

tied for 3) Green 7.5

I'm not particularly considered with the early season slump, but even ignoring that, his numbers are still not what I had hoped for. Still, I really like that he's already shown the ability to hit with wood. And while I have not seen nearly enough of his defense to form any strong opinions, I like the little I've seen.

5) Ackley 7.4

The lack of position concerns me. But there's no question he can hit.

6) Purke 7.3

Worrying about a HSer being too skinny is ridiculous. His cost would bump him down my actual draft board.

7) Miller 7.29

8) Tate 7.28

See Purke regarding cost. I like his bat, but not enough to rank him higher.

9) Turner 7.18

10) Wheeler 7.1

I'd be thrilled with any of my top 5 and very happy with any of these other players.

1. Ackley - safest, most ML ready pick in the draft, future leadoff hitter.

2. Strasburg - will have the same career as Prior, success early, out of MLB within 6 years due to injuries. I'd take him soley for trade value or if I wanted to compete in two years.

3. Matzek - Best prep arm in the draft

4. Z. Wheeler

5. Miller

6. Green

7. Crow

8. Scheppers

9. Purke

10.Turner

1. Stephen Strasburg, RHP, San Diego St.

2. Dustin Ackley, 1B/OF, UNC

3. Tyler Matzek, LHP, Capastrano HS (CA)

4. Aaron Crow, RHP, Fort Worth (Indy)

5. Grant Green, SS, USC

6. Alex White, RHP, UNC

7. Tanner Scheppers, RHP, St. Paul (Indy)

8. Shelby Miller, RHP, Brownwood HS (TX)

9. Zack Wheeler, RHP, East Paulding HS (GA)

10. Kyle Gibson, RHP, Univ. of Missouri

Rationale here. Still working on the write-ups. I should have 7-10 finished by the end of the day. Also, I've flipped guys around in the 6-14 range almost daily, with Purke, Leake, Borchering and Turner sometimes cracking the top 10 and Scheppers and Gibson sometimes falling. I think I'll stick with this list for right now.

1. Stephen Strasburg, RHP, San Diego St.

2. Dustin Ackley, 1B/OF, UNC

3. Tyler Matzek, LHP, Capastrano HS (CA)

4. Aaron Crow, RHP, Fort Worth (Indy)

5. Grant Green, SS, USC

6. Alex White, RHP, UNC

7. Tanner Scheppers, RHP, St. Paul (Indy)

8. Shelby Miller, RHP, Brownwood HS (TX)

9. Zack Wheeler, RHP, East Paulding HS (GA)

10. Kyle Gibson, RHP, Univ. of Missouri

Rationale here. Still working on the write-ups. I should have 7-10 finished by the end of the day. Also, I've flipped guys around in the 6-14 range almost daily, with Purke, Leake, Borchering and Turner sometimes cracking the top 10 and Scheppers and Gibson sometimes falling. I think I'll stick with this list for right now.

EDIT: Finished the top 10 write-ups. Comments and suggestions welcomed!

Question. I didn't realize Zach Wheeler was 19 already. How much do you take into acount that he's one year older than Matzek and most of his HS competition this year?

I personally take into account that Wheeler is nearly a full year older than Turner, and feel that with another year of development, Turner should rate the edge. So, yes, it's a factor.

I list their DOB for this very reason.

1.Ackley - safest, most ML ready pick in the draft, future leadoff hitter.

2. Strasburg - will have the same career as Prior, success early, out of MLB within 6 years due to injuries. I'd take him soley for trade value or if I wanted to compete in two years.

3. Matzek - Best prep arm in the draft

4. Z. Wheeler

5. Miller

6. Green

7. Crow

8. Scheppers

9. Purke

10.Turner

Ackley over Strasburg? Seriously? :confused: I tend to agree with the rest of your rankings fwiw besides that.

We probably won't have a shot to sign either so in the end it probably doesn't matter. I'm still hoping Matzek falls to us at #5. :002_sdrool:

Question. I didn't realize Zach Wheeler was 19 already. How much do you take into acount that he's one year older than Matzek and most of his HS competition this year?

I don't think it matters much for kids in their teens. They are still arriving in their early twenties. For college players, however, I think it potentially matters more.

Further, it's much more important in the later rounds (where you are assuming longer development) than in the early rounds.

I'm going to have to remember this little nugget a couple years down the line. ;)

Archived