glorydays

Is it time to fire Trembley  

342 members have voted

1. 1. Is it time to fire Trembley

• Yes, fire him immediately
    • No, but don't bring him back next season
    • No, I still have faith in DT and would like to see him back next season

This poll is closed to new votes

I think his use of the hit-and-run is an over-reaction to the number of double plays we are hitting into.

I don't expect him to continue to be so aggressive once the team starts hitting better.

I do agree that it is a horrible strategy, but I don't think he'll continue using it. I would help my confidence in his abilities though if he stopped doing it so much.

The O's are the 4th-best team in terms of hitting into double plays as a percentage of (1b + bb + hbp). GDB/1b is double plays per 100 (singles plus walks plus hit by pitch).

Tm	PA	GDP	GDP/1BTBR	2295	29	4.8TEX	2156	25	5.2LAA	2113	36	6.5BAL	2155	36	6.9CLE	2347	47	7.4OAK	2142	42	7.8NYY	2248	47	8.1MIN	2249	49	8.1CHW	2072	47	9.0TOR	2332	59	9.8BOS	2241	58	9.8SEA	2147	53	10.4KCR	2078	51	10.6DET	2080	58	10.7LgAvg	2190	46	8.3Total	30655	637	8.2

I guess you can read that as either "the super-aggressive policy is working" or "the super-aggressive policy isn't necessary."

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we would have a better measure of DT's day-to-day choices if he was skipper of the Yanks or BoSox, but he has a roster that would challenge the most elite managers in the game.

As we've observed, despite some very solid young players contributing this season, the Orioles are not ready for prime time. We do not yet have the talent, particularly the pitching talent (that is MLB ready) to make a run at the AL East title.

Until that time, the online micro-managers are probably going to have to wait, because AM knows exactly what he expects from the current talent available. My guess is he think the Birds are a year or two away as well. At that point, if DT isn't able to get the most from a better roster, that is when we will likely see a change.

-Don

I think we would have a better measure of DT's day-to-day choices if he was skipper of the Yanks or BoSox, but he has a roster that would challenge the most elite managers in the game.

As we've observed, despite some very solid young players contributing this season, the Orioles are not ready for prime time. We do not yet have the talent, particularly the pitching talent (that is MLB ready) to make a run at the AL East title.

Until that time, the online micro-managers are probably going to have to wait, because AM knows exactly what he expects from the current talent available. My guess is he think the Birds are a year or two away as well. At that point, if DT isn't able to get the most from a better roster, that is when we will likely see a change.

-Don

Don,

Easily the best post in the thread. People had their expectations artificially inflated during the most recent hot streak and expected that level of play to continue along as more of the first regiment of the cavalry arrived in Baltimore. The truth is this season is going to be full of hot and cold streaks as these players adjust to the major leagues.

My barometer of DT: wait until the entire cavalry arrives and gains some experience and see how DT fares. Anything other than this approach is change for its own sake, and we all know how that approach has helped the Orioles. :rolleyes:

My barometer of DT: wait until the entire cavalry arrives and gains some experience and see how DT fares. Anything other than this approach is change for its own sake, and we all know how that approach has helped the Orioles. :rolleyes:

I think DT was always brought in as the guy to oversee the rebuild. As that rebuild is still in progress, I think he will be on board, regardless of the result.

And yes, I agree, changing managers for the sake of rearranging the chairs on the Titanic, isn't what the Orioles need.

-Don

The only real reason for firing a manager is if he loses the clubhouse. As long as he has the clubhouse, DT's job is secure. Obviously if his managing of the bulpen, in game management roster,etc. is terrible, it will begin to have an impact on the players and their morale. This is what happened with Perlozzo. If the players have no major grievances, I doubt that we should.

Listen....Perlozzo was making moves to cost the teams numerous games. Mazzilli lost the clubhouse and it was extremly obvious.

Trembley has the players' attention, and they seem to like him, as a majority. Markakis and Roberts are sitting next to him every game. He is a players manager.

Why should we fire Trembley after this stretch? What has he done to warrant a firing? We aren't in a pennant race where we need to give the team a shot in the arm like Florida did with Jack M. or like Houston did firing Jimmy Williams and bringing in Garner.

Trembley is a good motivator, good clubhouse manager...His in game moves are questionable but all things considered, I really don't think we have a grasp on them yet because he doesn't have all of his players here yet.

No reason to fire Trembley when his starters pitch 5 innings in a 3 game series and offense scores 5 runs. That's not his fault.

Funny how this team falls apart every June-July, and every 2 years fans want the manager fired. What is the common denominator?

I think you hit it right on the head with the bolded statement above. Right now Trembley is playing a chess game with some important pieces missing from the board, like maybe a rook or two on the corners. It totally amazes me that people can't seem to grasp this simple fact. His moves are limited...and sometimes appear to be misguided.... because of this handicap. The real test will come at some point during the next 2 years when all the pieces are (hopefully) in place.

Archived