A couple questions about Alex White

Hopefully, some of the draft experts like Greg, allstar, Stotle, etc., can help me out here. :)

1. After having a lackluster season, why do you think the O's are so high on White? Is it just because of how well he's pitched as of late and the fact he's a college pitcher? Or is there more to this than meets the eye?

2. Is there anything to the Webb comp or is it (like most comps) just a bunch of hogwash?

3. If drafted, where do you think he ends up in the organization? TOR starter, mid-rotation starter or closer?

4. Where would you currently rank him in our Top 10?

Thanks in advance, gents! :)

Hopefully, some of the draft experts like Greg, allstar, Stotle, etc., can help me out here. :)

1. After having a lackluster season, why do you think the O's are so high on White? Is it just because of how well he's pitched as of late and the fact he's a college pitcher? Or is there more to this than meets the eye?

2. Is there anything to the Webb comp or is it (like most comps) just a bunch of hogwash?

3. If drafted, where do you think he ends up in the organization? TOR starter, mid-rotation starter or closer?

4. Where would you currently rank him in our Top 10?

Thanks in advance, gents! :)

Sorry, my brain is kinda mushy after that mock, but I'll try.

1.Because he is basically Wheeler or Miller with 3 years experience. The tools that made him a high prospect before the season are still there, something just wasn't clicking this season.

2.The Webb comp is because of the hard sink on one of his fastballs, it is one of his best pitches. His slider was his best pitch but it was pretty sub par most of the season.

3.I personally think he ends up a 4/5 starter at best, but I'm not the best guy to ask, I am not a fan. I don't see that killer attitude I like in my starters.

4. I would put him behind everyone but Rowell.

If he can control his slider and lower the walks, he'd rank higher than Arietta. At least that's how I remember it. Dude has serious upside, but some pretty substantial red flags.

No way, Arietta is 2 years of development ahead of him, and there is a chance he will end up better than Tillman and Matusz, don't count out his intangibles, or his fastball. Remember those red flags he had have been worked out.

No way, Arietta is 2 years of development ahead of him, and there is a chance he will end up better than Tillman and Matusz, don't count out his intangibles, or his fastball. Remember those red flags he had have been worked out.

You're saying that a refined Alex White doesn't rank higher than Arietta? I'm assuming he works out the red flags...not today.

You're saying that a refined Alex White doesn't rank higher than Arietta? I'm assuming he works out the red flags...not today.

Nope, and it's not even close for me. White, in a perfect world has a good sinking fastball, and a great slider, but he doesn't have that winning instinct, and got knocked around too much for me to think that it was mechanical this year.

Sorry, my brain is kinda mushy after that mock, but I'll try.

1.Because he is basically Wheeler or Miller with 3 years experience. The tools that made him a high prospect before the season are still there, something just wasn't clicking this season.

2.The Webb comp is because of the hard sink on one of his fastballs, it is one of his best pitches. His slider was his best pitch but it was pretty sub par most of the season.

3.I personally think he ends up a 4/5 starter at best, but I'm not the best guy to ask, I am not a fan. I don't see that killer attitude I like in my starters.

4. I would put him behind everyone but Rowell.

"You must spread some Reputation..."

;)

I just don't see a scenario where they take White with the 5th pick. If Ackley, Matzek, Crow and Strasburg are all gone then they will take Wheeler. They brought Wheeler in for a workout last week at Camden Yards and came away very impressed. Wheeler's mechanics are questionable but he has way more upside than White.

Archived