From Keith Law a few minutes ago about the draft today . . .

"I readily admit that I have no idea what's going to happen tonight. This is the most ridiculous draft I've ever been a part of or covered."

I guess that explains his scattered nature.

Sounds like tonight will be interesting. Crow's agent is calling everyone in the top ten trying to squeeze out a deal.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"I readily admit that I have no idea what's going to happen tonight. This is the most ridiculous draft I've ever been a part of or covered."

I guess that explains his scattered nature.

Sounds like tonight will be interesting. Crow's agent is calling everyone in the top ten trying to squeeze out a deal.

He'd better be.

I would definitely consider Crow at 1:5, because I think come crunchtime, he'll be willing to be a very reasonable sign. Nobody wants to become Matt Harrington part deux.

He'd better be.

I would definitely consider Crow at 1:5, because I think come crunchtime, he'll be willing to be a very reasonable sign. Nobody wants to become Matt Harrington part deux.

Crow's delivery scares me. We can't afford to blow this pick.

I don't think I can stress this enough. We need a home run.

Second, I just heard it mentioned that Aaron Crow has a good slider. As you know, I hate the slider and think it is very bad for the elbow due to the high-speed supination. Combine that with his Inverted L and I wonder how long his elbow (and ultimately his shoulder) will hold up.

http://www.chrisoleary.com/projects/Baseball/Pitching/ProfessionalPitcherAnalyses/AaronCrow.html

Just say no to Crow!

Crow's delivery scares me. We can't afford to blow this pick.

I don't think I can stress this enough. We need a home run.

We all know your world will fall off it's axis and Jordan's job should be in question if he picks someone you don't agree with, Sly.

We are well aware of your knees and their propensity to jerk.

What's a home run, though? Someone you agree with? Someone Jason Churchill agrees with? Someone one of our resident draft experts agree with?

How exactly will you decree at 6:30pm this evening what's a home run and what isn't? Other people's opinions?

I'm not sure how anyone can sit in immediate judgement of a scouting department who has done a fantastic job over the course of the past 4-5 years.

How about having a little faith in Joe Jordan's ability to do his job?

You and your arbitrary absolutes. Do you have any other register than: :drek::drek::drek: ?

The draft is the sole pipeline of talent for this team other than trades, and our trade chips aren't that plentiful or as appealing as they used to be.

The Orioles need as much talent as they can get to compete with the other teams in the AL East as they need talent for the ML team and talent to stockpile for trades.

Every draft pick counts, and the first round pick is the most important as it represents the best opportunity the Orioles have at a top young player.

Blowing a first round pick and really any high round pick sets the organization behind as you can see from the numerous draft picks we've blown during this 11 year losing streak.

We all know your world will fall off it's axis and Jordan's job should be in question if he picks someone you don't agree with, Sly.

We are well aware of your knees and their propensity to jerk.

What's a home run, though? Someone you agree with? Someone Jason Churchill agrees with? Someone one of our resident draft experts agree with?

How exactly will you decree at 6:30pm this evening what's a home run and what isn't? Other people's opinions?

I'm not sure how anyone can sit in immediate judgement of a scouting department who has done a fantastic job over the course of the past 4-5 years.

How about having a little faith in Joe Jordan's ability to do his job?

The college pitchers available in this draft other than Strasburg would all be a mistake at the #5 pick IMO, and I don't even like Strasburg as anything but a future trade chip.

The HS arms are much more projectible and have less mileage and are a better bet to develop into top flight starters.

As long as we don't take a college arm with the #5 pick, I'll feel fine with Jordan's judgement, be it Wheeler, Matzek, Turner or Miller.

Of course I'm praying and hoping that we get a chance to take Ackley...

The college pitchers available in this draft other than Strasburg would all be a mistake at the #5 pick IMO, and I don't even like Strasburg as anything but a future trade chip.

The HS arms are much more projectible and have less mileage and are a better bet to develop into top flight starters.

As long as we don't take a college arm with the #5 pick, I'll feel fine with Jordan's judgement.

I'm sure Joe will rest easy knowing that.

overthetop.jpg

JTrea,

On draft day last year, were you happy with the Avery pick? Are you now?

No and no, seeing the other talent that was available at that slot.

Toolsy players should be avoided with high picks IMO. This organization does not have a history of developing those players.

Avery may turn out to be something, but he's still only in A ball and still is very raw.

As long as we don't take a college arm with the #5 pick, I'll feel fine with Jordan's judgement, be it Wheeler, Matzek, Turner or Miller...

I agree that this is the year to get a HS pitcher (assuming Ackley and Strasburg are gone). There are too many questions about the other college pitchers; in addition, the organization has several advanced high-ceiling arms to sort out at the major league level in the next 2-3 seasons, but not much on the back burner (the jury's still out on whether Bundy is going to be healthy enough to be a prospect, for instance), so it makes sense to start building the next wave.

Toolsy players should be avoided with high picks IMO. This organization does not have a history of developing those players.

Avery may turn out to be something, but he's still only in A ball and still is very raw.

Fair enough. I love the Avery pick. It makes me trust Jordan even more.

1. The draft is the sole pipeline of talent for this team other than trades, and our trade chips aren't that plentiful or as appealing as they used to be.

2. The Orioles need as much talent as they can get to compete with the other teams in the AL East as they need talent for the ML team and talent to stockpile for trades.

3. Every draft pick counts, and the first round pick is the most important as it represents the best opportunity the Orioles have at a top young player.

4. Blowing a first round pick and really any high round pick sets the organization behind as you can see from the numerous draft picks we've blown during this 11 year losing streak.

1. Untrue.

2. How does stating the obvious support your point?

3. No #$%^.

4. So your estimation of the danger inherent in one draft pick not working out is somehow based on years of drafting futility? If anything, history shows us the opposite: we've gone from one of the worst (perpetually) systems in baseball to one of the best in a period of about five years - and, in fact, accomplished much of that in a period of three years. So tell me, if you can turn around that quckly after 10 years of neglect, why is the 1st round pick so ohmygodtheskywillfall important all asudden?

You rely on one false premise - that the draft is our only hope - and then surround it with a alternating obviousness and conjecture and then - apparently - feel like you've contributed to an intelligent dialogue. Far from it. You really drag down the quality of (rational) discussion on this board.

It's easy to admire your enthusiasm. But a dollop of self-awareness (and the silence it would trigger) might be nice, too.

Who should we have taken instead of Avery then?

Archived