Draft Pick Signings???

Have the Orioles signed any of their picks yet? The Angels have signed nine of their picks, including one of their supplemental picks and their second round pick.(48th and 80th overall)(the Angels had six of the first eighty picks in this year's draft)

"The Angels have signed nine of the 54 players they selected in last week's draft, including pitchers Tyler Kehrer and Patrick Corbin, their fifth and sixth picks.

Kehrer, an Eastern Illinois University left-hander who was the 48th overall selection in the draft, received a $700,000 bonus, and Corbin, a left-hander from Chipola College in Marianna, Fla., who was the 80th overall pick, signed for $450,000.

Kehrer, a compensation pick between the first and second rounds, and Corbin, a second-round pick, will join Class-A Orem, which begins its season Saturday."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-angels-fyi14-2009jun14,0,2765116.story

Have the Orioles signed any of their picks yet? The Angels have signed nine of their picks, including one of their supplemental picks and their second round pick.(48th and 80th overall)(the Angels had six of the first eighty picks in this year's draft)

"The Angels have signed nine of the 54 players they selected in last week's draft, including pitchers Tyler Kehrer and Patrick Corbin, their fifth and sixth picks.

Kehrer, an Eastern Illinois University left-hander who was the 48th overall selection in the draft, received a $700,000 bonus, and Corbin, a left-hander from Chipola College in Marianna, Fla., who was the 80th overall pick, signed for $450,000.

Kehrer, a compensation pick between the first and second rounds, and Corbin, a second-round pick, will join Class-A Orem, which begins its season Saturday."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-angels-fyi14-2009jun14,0,2765116.story

Good question. I've not heard of any Oriole signings thus far, just that the number one pick, Hobgood, has said he wants to sign by late June. In previous years the hangout staff applied a color to the O's draft list to indicate which had signed, and updated that frequently. I hope that will be done again. I'm assuming that the first two picks, being high school players, would start at Bluefield -- Gulf Coast would be too easy for top picks and Aberdeen, which is dominated by college draftees, would be too challenging for guys you want to start well in pro ball. I imagine the third pick, Townsend, a college outfielder, would start at Aberdeen. Does this make sense?

Good question. I've not heard of any Oriole signings thus far, just that the number one pick, Hobgood, has said he wants to sign by late June. In previous years the hangout staff applied a color to the O's draft list to indicate which had signed, and updated that frequently. I hope that will be done again. I'm assuming that the first two picks, being high school players, would start at Bluefield -- Gulf Coast would be too easy for top picks and Aberdeen, which is dominated by college draftees, would be too challenging for guys you want to start well in pro ball. I imagine the third pick, Townsend, a college outfielder, would start at Aberdeen. Does this make sense?

I would think Givens might start in the GCL. Avery and Hoes both started there out of HS last year, and as far as I know Givens isn't much more polished/advanced than either of those two.

What about Hobgood?

Well, supposedly there was a quote from Stockstill (I think) that said that Hobgood might start a little higher than they normally start a HS player. So that could mean either Bluefield or maybe even Aberdeen, depending how you interpret it.

I did a quick glance through the threads and couldn't find the quote, though I'm sure I read it on here somewhere. Can anyone else help out?

I would think Givens might start in the GCL. Avery and Hoes both started there out of HS last year, and as far as I know Givens isn't much more polished/advanced than either of those two.

I think all indications are that it will take some time to get Givens into the fold. Hopefully he will see the value of signing quickly and get that half season in like Avery and Hoes did, but I would not be surprised if he ends up signing later than sooner.

Hopefully I'm wrong and if I'm the Orioles, I'm having Avery give him a call and tell him how much that half year helped him get to where he is right now. Givens is only three months younger than Avery and one month younger than Hoes. He needs to sign quickly and get going, espcially since his bat may need some time to develop.

I think all indications are that it will take some time to get Givens into the fold. Hopefully he will see the value of signing quickly and get that half season in like Avery and Hoes did, but I would not be surprised if he ends up signing later than sooner.

Hopefully I'm wrong and if I'm the Orioles, I'm having Avery give him a call and tell him how much that half year helped him get to where he is right now. Givens is only three months younger than Avery and one month younger than Hoes. He needs to sign quickly and get going, espcially since his bat may need some time to develop.

OK, that makes sense. When answering the question it totally slipped my mind that some of these guys might take a while to sign. Seemed like other than Matusz we got guys signed pretty quick last year.

Well, supposedly there was a quote from Stockstill (I think) that said that Hobgood might start a little higher than they normally start a HS player. So that could mean either Bluefield or maybe even Aberdeen, depending how you interpret it.

I did a quick glance through the threads and couldn't find the quote, though I'm sure I read it on here somewhere. Can anyone else help out?

It was definatley said, Im thinking it may have been on Roch's quotes from Jordan when we first drafted Hobgood. Im not sure though, at first I thought it meant we would send him to Aberdeen, but I am beginning to think Bluefield was what was originally meant, but if he thrives there they may move him up to Aberdeen by the end of the season to get his feet wet there against good competition. IMO the idea is to prep him to play full season ball next year at Delmarva. For an HS drafted pitcher, he may move quite quickly through the system. Its kinda strange how the Orioles are aggressive with the younger kids coming out of HS but then players in the upper minors get moved so slowly......

What is the general consensus on guys we took over slot. I think I heard the 4th and 8th rounders may take a while. For taking Hobgood at or below slot, it was believed we would go over in later rounds. It did not seem like we did that, but we never know.

We actually are gonna be going overslot more than slot value in first 20 rounds if I remember correctly......

Archived