Rosenthal: O's more willing to deal Baez and Sherrill

JTrea81

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9688414/Red-Sox-reliever-drawing-interest-from-several-teams

The Orioles' willingness to trade setup man Danys Baez and possibly closer George Sherrill is increasing because of the emerging depth in their bullpen.

Former closer Chris Ray is working to regain his form at Class AAA. Right-hander Jim Johnson and several other relievers are pitching well in the majors, and righties Kam Mickolio, Bob McCrory and Jim Miller are alternatives at Class AAA.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't see Kam Mickolio, Bob McCrory and Jim Miller as alternatives. Even Ray would have to show me he's really back.

Why isn't Jim Miller an alternative in the bullpen. He was good here last year and has been very good this year. Mickolio had a tough start and then has pitched well. McCrory is the least valuable, he seems like a 4A pitcher thus far, though that could change.

I also think Chris Waters should be shifted to a back-end bullpen guy as a lefty reliever. They should work to get him more deceptive to lefties.

I still dont see them trading Sherrill... and Baez won't get us much of a return, if anything.

I don't understand that opinion on Baez. He is on a different level than Bradford last year. He is more than just a situational or bullpen filler.

It's all about supply and demand and everything I have been reading is stating how many potential contenders are looking for quality bullpen help.

Couple that with the fact that alot of teams are reluctant to be "sellers" at this point.

There you have your "supply" (low) and "demand" ( high) :)

I am not saying we are going to get a Top 3 prospect but I would think a top 10 is not unrealistic.

We have nothing in the minors that is close to coming up here and closing. Chris Ray has been erratic.

That is something we may have to trade for.

Unless you are team in a pennant run with a hole at the closer position, trading for a closer is typically a stupid move. You are mostly trading for the name that comes with the label of "closer". That is why smart teams (Oak) place pitchers in the role, let them get some success and then trade them while their stock is high.

This is why we should be looking to trade both Baez and Sherrill if they can continue to stay hot the next couple weeks.

I would be confident that between D. Hernandez, Ray, Johnson.. we could backfill our set-up and cloers guys.

Why isn't Jim Miller an alternative in the bullpen. He was good here last year and has been very good this year. Mickolio had a tough start and then has pitched well. McCrory is the least valuable, he seems like a 4A pitcher thus far, though that could change.

I also think Chris Waters should be shifted to a back-end bullpen guy as a lefty reliever. They should work to get him more deceptive to lefties.

None of them have enough time at the MLB level to express one way or the other. Miller has 7 innings. My point is that we won't get the production Baez and Sherril have given us from any reliever at AAA. If this is going to be a lost season, it might not matter.

OsWhyNot52, I'm talking about trading for a prospect or two who could close, not an established closer. You're right about that.

You have Mickolo and Miller who have been good of late. But they don't knock my socks off.Miller isn't the overpowering type although he might be an option for an inning or two earlier in the game. Mickolo does throw hard but I don't know if he's ML closer material at this point.

I don't see Hernandez as a closer now. He does have the kind of stuff for the back of the bullpen, granted. But he has little or no experience in that role; he's been a starter.Plus, his control is a bit questionable right now.

I don't understand why a 27-36 team needs to have someone designated to close games. It seems to me that would be a much more valuable option once the team is ready to compete.

So that the development of your young starters isn't hampered by the bullpen constantly blowing his games or being so worn out that there is the tempation to make the young starter throw more pitches than necessary.

So that the development of your young starters isn't hampered by the bullpen constantly blowing his games or being so worn out that there is the tempation to make the young starter throw more pitches than necessary.

So the starters success is determined by the guys pitching after him? I understand the notion of always wanting to win ball games. However I do not buy into the starter being worn out or the temptation to throw more pitches. It is quite obvious that they have a development plan for these guys.

I cannot see the Oriole's letting them throw more pitches then needed regardless of who is in the bullpen.

I am not sure what the Orioles are going to do but depth is a wonderful thing.

I truly believe that we could deal Guthrie, Sherrill, Baez, Huff, Izturis and either Scott or Wigginton(and maybe both if replacements are obtained) and not really have a step back.

I still think we end up around 75 wins, give or take...unless the replacements for those guys get hurt.

Archived