Orioles-Only: International Signings Thread (All Sano talk goes here)

Greg Pappas

Maybe this question was already answered in this thread, but one thing that confuses me is why the 'big dogs' aren't in this fight? If this kid is as good as advertised, where are the Sux, Skanks, Cubs, Dodgers, etc? Only small to medium market teams care about this guy? Is there a legit reason for this?

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The odds are they would get even less money coming out the second time. Hobgood may not improve his status and might lower it if he had performance problems or injury and Matusz would certainly have lowered his stock playing another year or independent ball. Both were also up against an Aug deadline.

Sano has nothing to lose by waiting for a higher offer from another team as there is no immediate deadline for negotiations and he can talk with any club.

Tell me, what evidence do you have that Matusz would have "certainly" lowered his draft stock by playing in the indy leagues.....If Matusz would have turned down our offer and went to INdy leagues to be eligible for the 09 draft, theres a good chance he would have gone 2nd overall....Definately before 4th overall....

And Sano has plenty to lose by waiting for other teams to make bids. Him and his family probably need money, he has been waiting to cash in on his talents for years to help his family out financially and in his very first chance to get $$, hes gonna get paid....

Maybe this question was already answered in this thread, but one thing that confuses me is why the 'big dogs' aren't in this fight? If this kid is as good as advertised, where are the Sux, Skanks, Cubs, Dodgers, etc? Only small to medium market teams care about this guy? Is there a legit reason for this?

Some teams like him, others don't. None of the big dogs seem to be in on this, so the price will probably be somewhat lower. There is often a lot of differing projections on guys who are 16. Nothing new. Rate of success for one of these >1MM bonus babies is not very high.

Tell me, what evidence do you have that Matusz would have "certainly" lowered his draft stock by playing in the indy leagues.....If Matusz would have turned down our offer and went to INdy leagues to be eligible for the 09 draft, theres a good chance he would have gone 2nd overall....Definately before 4th overall....

This is usually not how it goes. I don't understand how you can say he would have gone 2nd overall and 4th overall definitely. Most recently Aaron Crow went from 9th overall to 12 overall and probably cost himself some money. I don't think there is a good chance that Matusz would have helped himself doing what Crow did.

Just because top dogs arent in on it doesnt mean Sano isnt worth acquiring....Think about Inoa, he ended up going to Oakland. He is supposed to be THE best young(18 and under) pitcher that there is in the pros. I dont remember much about the bidding, but if Boston or the Yanks really wanted him, they could have had him, they let Oakland snatch him up, I dont even know if the Skanks or Sox were in on Inoa's bidding...

Sano has nothing to lose by waiting for a higher offer from another team as there is no immediate deadline for negotiations and he can talk with any club.

Sano's "deadline" is his living conditions. He is a teenage boy living in impoverished circumstances who has been waiting all his life for this moment. And so has his family.

Not long ago when the Sano talk heated up, someone posted a video clip of a documentary in which Sano is featured. (The film maker posts here occasionally). There's a poignant moment in which Sano talks about how his life is going to change "after July."

Whether it's $2MM or $6MM, and even after the agent and buscones take their cut, the money being laid out in front of Sano and his family will be enough to change their lives forever. They probably could decide to turn it down and let him go back to work, improving his skills until he can change teams' minds, but it's probably not going to happen.

Poverty is a b!tch. Until you have experienced it, you can't appreciate how much people want to get out of it.

Edit: Here is the video. The pertinent passage starts at 2:09. The clip ends with the family moving into what looks like a pretty decent home, so I'm thinking that someone has advanced them a little money.

This is usually not how it goes. I don't understand how you can say he would have gone 2nd overall and 4th overall definitely. Most recently Aaron Crow went from 9th overall to 12 overall and probably cost himself some money. I don't think there is a good chance that Matusz would have helped himself doing what Crow did.

Matusz was regarded as the best pitcher in the draft. The 09 draft lacked many many things, and one of those things the 09 draft lacked was a safe high ceiling HS arm, the closest thing to that was Leake, who went 7th overall if I remember right. Matusz has a higher ceiling, better stuff and is just as safe as Leake. Crow's stock just before the draft was sky high, in the top 5. His price tag came into question again and teams were scared off, also due to his arm motion being a red flag.....

I am confident that Matusz would have went higher in the 09 draft than in the 08 draft regardless of if he want to INdy leagues or not.....Teams were hesitant to pay premium cash for talent that wasnt quite premium, Matusz IS premium talent. The question IMO woulda been who do u take 2nd, Ackley or Matusz.....

And I didnt say he would go 2nd overall, I said he could go as high as 2nd overall....

Interesting they are talking of going higher than the Matusz signing bonus.

"The O's gave 3.2 million to Brian Matusz and 2.4 this year to Matt Hobgood. There's no way the O's are giving more to Sano than they gave Matusz and Hobgood."

"The O's gave 3.2 million to Brian Matusz and 2.4 this year to Matt Hobgood. There's no way the O's are giving more to Sano than they gave Matusz and Hobgood."

I see your quote and I raise you this one:

"MASNsports.com has learned that the O's may value Sano higher than a late first-round pick. It may take a bonus that would exceed what the O's gave Matusz to get Sano. The Orioles might be willing to make an offer in that range."

That was ESPN's Jorge Arangure's comments earlier this week... hard to say what's goin on.

Archived