The decline in our OF defense is on display

Frobby

Its the most important question and its the question that everyones overlooking. Everyone loves the "yes they are/no they're not!" argument and the UZR and other defensive metrics stats....

...but no ones trying to figure out why they've slipped.

As I said, Jones may have the injury issue to think about...He hurt his hammy earlier in the year and has fouled the ball off of his shin...Maybe he just isn't 100% and it has cost him a half step or so.

Markakis? Not sure why...Perhaps positioning?

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Its the most important question and its the question that everyones overlooking. Everyone loves the "yes they are/no they're not!" argument and the UZR and other defensive metrics stats....

...but no ones trying to figure out why they've slipped.

I think most of us who've been focused on the defensive decline of both players has been asking the question "why?" In fact, if you look back at the old thread we were positing a bunch of questions.

The problem w/ focusing on that, of course, is that there's no answer. So it's easier to focus on the "yes he is/no he isn't" component instead.

As I said, Jones may have the injury issue to think about...He hurt his hammy earlier in the year and has fouled the ball off of his shin...Maybe he just isn't 100% and it has cost him a half step or so.

Markakis? Not sure why...Perhaps positioning?

Here's my take on Markakis. It's totally illogical, I'll freely admit.

Pressure of a big contract + being a new dad is taking a bit of a toll. My cousins have both become fathers in the past couple years and they got little to no sleep.

Maybe he's not alert as he used to be. I dunno.

Positioning is interesting. I got the feeling that Trembley and the coaches move the outfielders.

I agree.

Too bad Roberts is having a good game with the bat.

That was just pathetic.

That was a result of a lack of hustle. No sense of urgency on either one of their parts. Winning players do not play that way.

Right. As much as I hate to bring this up we can't necessarily ignore the names of Ben Grieve and Steve Kemp. Grieve is listed as Nick's most similar comp through age 24 by B-Ref. Kemp is listed as Nick's most similar comp through age 23 by B-Ref. They are also listed as his two most comparable players to Markakis by Pecota.
Oh lord.

He's hitting is fine. It's his defense that has been problematic.

Palmer said that Roberts "let the ball play him" as he has seen him do on balls like that in the past. That said, Markakis should have called him off and taken that ball.

Markakis shouldn't have assumed BRob was catching the ball.

That being said, BRob was non-chalantly running after the ball and made it seem like he would easily get there.

I am not excusing Nick at all but BRob's body language is what cost the Orioles there IMO.

Archived