Sun: O's likely to make offer to Sano, have some interest in Chapman

JTrea81

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/baseball/bal-sano0702,0,6950194.story

The Orioles did not make an offer Thursday to Dominican shortstop Miguel Angel Sano, a 16-year-old who is considered one of the top international free agents available, though they probably will in the coming days.

Thursday marked the first day teams are allowed to sign international free agents, but the Orioles, like some other teams, are waiting for Major League Baseball to conclude its investigation into Sano's age before tendering an offer. The Orioles, who worked out Sano for three days at their Dominican baseball academy and came away impressed, want to make sure there are no discrepancies that might make it difficult for Sano to get a visa to get into the country.

Orioles president of baseball operations Andy MacPhail said Thursday about Sano, "We have interest pending MLB's investigation."

On Chapman:

MacPhail said the Orioles also have scouted left-handed pitcher Aroldis Chapman, a 21-year-old who defected from Cuba this week. They are interested but likely won't be involved in the bidding if his price tag is anywhere near the $30 million that is being reported.

So it sounds like we will at least make Sano an offer soon. Hopefully it is a good one and tops the others...

I expect us to pass on Chapman like most...

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Baez is a cuban defector....

Well then. If anything, shouldn't them being...whatever their relationship is...have gotten us the exclusive pipeline? Angelos should have gotten Castro to turn Cuba into a giant farm team. Huge missed opportunity.

Well then. If anything, shouldn't them being...whatever their relationship is...have gotten us the exclusive pipeline? Angelos should have gotten Castro to turn Cuba into a giant farm team. Huge missed opportunity.

My Dad used to say that if we'd just made a deal with Castro to send the original Senators to play in Havana instead of Minnesota, the BS with Cuba would have been nipped in the bud...

Is this serious? I can't tell. The Internet sometimes makes it difficult to tell.

Is this serious? I can't tell. The Internet sometimes makes it difficult to tell.

Of course it's serious. After the 1999 exhibition, we should have had all the best Cubans. They "defect" on Castro's yacht, and in exchange for the opportunity to make MLB money, and have their families safe back in Cuba, they agree to sign with the Orioles. Win-win.

Of course it's serious. After the 1999 exhibition, we should have had all the best Cubans. They "defect" on Castro's yacht, and in exchange for the opportunity to make MLB money, and have their families safe back in Cuba, they agree to sign with the Orioles. Win-win.

Again, I ask. I really can't tell if you are joking here. This sounds like a big joke to me. You actually believe that Peter Angelos should have bought the entire Cuban national team from Fidel Castro and put them on the field as the Baltimore Orioles.

Am I correct? Like I said, it sounds like you are joking, but I just want to be sure.

Dadaism Proclamation

"WHEREAS: Dadaism is an international tendency in art that seeks to change conventional attitudes and practices in aesthetics, society, and morality; "

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqkIJ0odFxA&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqkIJ0odFxA&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I think we land Sano. That article with the quotes from Stockstill raving about him tell me that we are serious players. Stockstill would never have said those sorts of things about a player if he thought we weren't seriously interested. Otherwise, he would just risk making the Orioles look bad.

This has been discussed before. The Orioles didn't sign him as a defector...IMO, that's the difference with Angelos.

A defector is a defector no way around it. We signed one..really matter of opinion I wouldn't spend the money on chapman if he wanted 30 million. Just me though...

Archived