Sun: O's likely to make offer to Sano, have some interest in Chapman

JTrea81

That's not necessarily true. From a business perspective, money being equal, a player wants to go where there's the best chance of him getting to the majors so that he can eventually make more money. Let's face it, it is reasonable to assume that it'll be more difficult to eventually make the 25-man roster in Boston or NY than in Baltimore.

Yeah, if anything, as a 16-year-old kid, I'd rather sign with a lesser team and have a better chance of getting to MLB - and then getting a payday 6 years later.

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's not necessarily true. From a business perspective, money being equal, a player wants to go where there's the best chance of him getting to the majors so that he can eventually make more money. Let's face it, it is reasonable to assume that it'll be more difficult to eventually make the 25-man roster in Boston or NY than in Baltimore.

If the kid turns out to be what everyone says he is, why wouldn't he make the 25-man in Boston or NY? At 16, we're still talking someone three or four years from the majors. Jeter will be winding down and the kid could be their Andino, filling in from the bench. Boston doesn't have a long-term solution at shortstop. In Baltimore, after giving him the big signing bonus, we'll be very careful when we bring him up and start his service clock.

Money being equal, obviously he'll go to Boston or NY over us.

Maybe. It depends how much contact he and his buscon have had with New York or Boston. Money is certainly king, but the courting is a big deal to the buscon . . . and in turn the prospect and his family. Thinking it is only a money thing is a bit simplisitic.

Again, look at the dozens of cases in the past . . . as I mentioned Ynoa is a good example of a player taking a big contract, but not the largest one offered because he also valued the contact and previous efforts exhibited by the A's.

Yeah, if anything, as a 16-year-old kid, I'd rather sign with a lesser team and have a better chance of getting to MLB - and then getting a payday 6 years later.

That really is not a consideration.

One thing that hurts the Yankees (very slightly) is that they have a reputation of taking talent and then burying it or throwing it to another team. Most buscons directly do not care, but indirectly . . . they care because some of the prospects buy into the organization concept and the ties they make prior to signing. BoSox do not seem to have that rep down there.

Again, money means a lot, so the Yanks still get their fair share of good prospects.

Why isn't it?

According to Brooks, the reason he signed with the O's is because, of the offers he had, he figured it was the quickest way to get to the big leagues. Why wouldn't a guy factor in how quickly he thinks he can do that?

I have no idea who this buscon is who how much power he wields in the signing of Sano. From Rob Plummer's comments I got the impression that he was running the show. Then again, I guess that's what you'd expect coming from the agent. Since there haven't been any reports on Boston or NY having the inside track, I'd assume that Sano or his buscon didn't have a strong relationship with either organization.

Moreno Tejada.

From what I know about Sano is that his buscon (aka trainer - Tejada) has more sway with him and his family than Plummer has.

Why isn't it?

According to Brooks, the reason he signed with the O's is because, of the offers he had, he figured it was the quickest way to get to the big leagues. Why wouldn't a guy factor in how quickly he thinks he can do that?

Brooks and his concerns do not really apply here. The way the Caribbean theater works has more to do with money and contacts. These guys are considered so far away from the game (they are 16) that what happens 4 years from now is not the main concern. What matters is what is happening over the next 18 months. MLB level of quality does not matter much. The only instances I've seen it help is when a local player makes it big with a team . . . still, that team better have good contacts on the ground or it won't matter much.

Moreno Tejada.

From what I know about Sano is that his buscon (aka trainer - Tejada) has more sway with him and his family than Plummer has.

To further explain . . . Tejada and the family are tight. Plummer and Tejada are somewhat close. That is my understanding. Tejada works most with the baseball elements while Plummer works on getting gear and setting up communications with clubs to generate a market. So without Plummer the market would collapse, but he needs Tejada just as much as Tejada needs him.

If the kid turns out to be what everyone says he is, why wouldn't he make the 25-man in Boston or NY? At 16, we're still talking someone three or four years from the majors. Jeter will be winding down and the kid could be their Andino, filling in from the bench. Boston doesn't have a long-term solution at shortstop. In Baltimore, after giving him the big signing bonus, we'll be very careful when we bring him up and start his service clock.

Well, here's how I would frame it if I were advising the kid: Assuming the up-front money is equal, it'd be easier to crack, say, Kansas City's lineup in 4 years than the Yankees'. Here's why: If he's good enough by then to play for the Yankees, then obviously he'll be good enough to play for the Royals.

But what if he winds up being merely pretty good instead of The Next A-Rod? A pretty good SS would still make the Royals even if he couldn't make the Yankees. And for a 16-year-old, the goal should be making it to MLB - with ANYONE - and then setting yourself up for a big payday.

Again, assuming that the up-front money is equal, considering the time value of money and all that.

He might not have an advisor making that case to him, but that strikes me as the most logical thing to do.

I should have clarified: if the initial money is equal, that factor would, in my mind, tilt things in favor of a less-venerated team. I admit, I know nothing about this issue, I'm just working through the logic myself.

Why isn't it?

If you checked out the video link JTrea provided earlier, you saw the squalor the kid lives in. I'm sure his primary concern is getting as much money as he can to get himself and his family out of there. In his mind this is his big payday I would think. I doubt he can even imagine the millions down the road were he to become a ML SS.

I should have clarified: if the initial money is equal, that factor would, in my mind, tilt things in favor of a less-venerated team. I admit, I know nothing about this issue, I'm just working through the logic myself.

Remember these are young guys who have never left home. Money is very important, but so is trust. These guys are raw and talented as baseball players and as adults. They want to be comfortable and the family wants them to be taken care of. That is why having connections is so important. Of course, if you offer twice what someone else offers . . . well, comfort will likely go out the window.

If you checked out the video link JTrea provided earlier, you saw the squalor the kid lives in. I'm sure his primary concern is getting as much money as he can to get himself and his family out of there. In his mind this is his big payday I would think. I doubt he can even imagine the millions down the road were he to become a ML SS.

Also taken in mind that the typical Dominican makes about 8k a year. So, it does not take much to raise a family into a good life. When you start contemplating 3MM to 3.3MM . . . that monetary difference does not matter as much as an organization that is strong and trusted in the local community. Money certainly matters, but only to a point.

Archived