Sun: O's likely to make offer to Sano, have some interest in Chapman

JTrea81

6'3 189 lbs right now? He could get to the majors and bulk up to 220 lbs as he has a solid frame. He reminds me of Hanley Ramirez who is currently 6'3" and 225 lbs. I would pay this kid personally and it sounds like the Orioles will. At 15 he was sporting St. Louis Cardinals and Oakland A's garb. There are going to be a lot more players for Sano if he does indeed turn out to be 16. I think he gets $4.25 Million from someone and I do not know that we are that team if MLBTradeRumors.com is reporting that we could offer a deal in the $2.4-$3.5 Million range.

"The Orioles may be close to offering Miguel Angel Sano a deal that could surpass the $2.4MM they awarded top pick Matt Hobgood this year, according to Steve Melewski of MASN.com. ESPN.com's Jorge Arangure Jr. said Monday that the Orioles were not going to award Sano more than Hobgood or 2008 draftee Brian Matusz, who received $3.2MM. Now, Melewski says the O's could offer Sano more than $2.4MM, as they value him more than a late first rounder.

The Orioles are expected to wait for confirmation that Sano is 16 years old before committing to the Dominican prospect, who's also being courted by the Twins and Pirates."

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/07/red-sox-agree-to-terms-with-cuban-ss.html Let me get this straight, the Redsox just paid over $8M for an all glove no bat SS and we cant pay half of that for the next A-rod or H-Ram?

Apologies if this has been asked and answered already, but if this guy is so good, why aren't the Sox, Yanks, etc. all over him, too?

Apologies if this has been asked and answered already, but if this guy is so good, why aren't the Sox, Yanks, etc. all over him, too?

Ive been wondering the same thing. If our staff evaluates him as a 1st round worthy pick I will be more than happy to have him in the system.

If he is really good, I see zero reason to assume that they're not.

Just because nobody's blabbing, that doesn't mean anything.

Theo Epstein is notoriously closed mouth about their plans and Cashman is to an extent also and are similarly notorious for last minute out of nowhere overtures - and have a good track record of sealing those deals.

If the kid is really 16, I expect them to come out of the woodwork.

That said, with the sums involved, is there any surprise that there is so much misrepresentation about age over there?

Theo Epstein is notoriously closed mouth about their plans and Cashman is to an extent also and are similarly notorious for last minute out of nowhere overtures - and have a good track record of sealing those deals.

If the kid is really 16, I expect them to come out of the woodwork.

That said, with the sums involved, is there any surprise that there is so much misrepresentation about age over there?

Have to agree here, if he's that special and 16, the Yankees or Red Sox will come out of nowhere and blow everyone else away. I give the Orioles about a 20% chance of making this happen all things considered.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/07/red-sox-agree-to-terms-with-cuban-ss.html Let me get this straight, the Redsox just paid over $8M for an all glove no bat SS and we cant pay half of that for the next A-rod or H-Ram?

Wow. The Red Sox didn't get to where they are by being stupid, but giving $8 million-plus to a light-hitting 19 y.o. SS doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I'd never even heard of him before. Were other teams bidding on him too?

EDIT: After reading one of the other links I saw that the Yankees were mentioned as a very interested team. Could this have simply degraded into a bidding war between the two, where winning at any cost takes precedence over the actual value of the player?

I'm hearing that both the Sox and Yankees like him at about 1-2MM. Neither seem to think spending 3MM on him is a good idea. With guys this young without much game experience, there typically is a wide range of perspective on a player. Think about the disparity in what people thought about Ynoa last year.

I'm hearing that both the Sox and Yankees like him at about 1-2MM. Neither seem to think spending 3MM on him is a good idea. With guys this young without much game experience, there typically is a wide range of perspective on a player. Think about the disparity in what people thought about Ynoa last year.
Money being equal, obviously he'll go to Boston or NY over us.

Wow. The Red Sox didn't get to where they are by being stupid' date=' but giving $8 million-plus to a light-hitting 19 y.o. SS doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I'd never even heard of him before. Were other teams bidding on him too?

EDIT: After reading one of the other links I saw that the Yankees were mentioned as a very interested team. Could this have simply degraded into a bidding war between the two, where winning at any cost takes precedence over the actual value of the player?[/quote']

The Red Sox have shifted to an emphasis on defense up the middle over the last few years (with regards to amateur talent added).

Money being equal, obviously he'll go to Boston or NY over us.

That's not necessarily true. From a business perspective, money being equal, a player wants to go where there's the best chance of him getting to the majors so that he can eventually make more money. Let's face it, it is reasonable to assume that it'll be more difficult to eventually make the 25-man roster in Boston or NY than in Baltimore.

I'm not sure about how I feel about signing a 16-year-old to a multi-million dollar contract. It's roughly the same timetable as signing an 18-year-old to a major league contract. (See Adam Loewen.)

The Red Sox have shifted to an emphasis on defense up the middle over the last few years (with regards to amateur talent added).

That's fine.....but over $8 million for a guy who scouts say would be a 2nd-3rd Round draft pick, is projected to hit just barely enough to stick in the big leagues, has only fringe-average speed, and may be older than advertised? If that's what ML teams are valuing nowadays at SS, I would just assume go the route the O's did and sign the Cesar Izturis' of the world for 2 years @ $5 million. But hey, if that's how the Red Sox want to spend their money, then I'm all for it.

Have to agree here, if he's that special and 16, the Yankees or Red Sox will come out of nowhere and blow everyone else away. I give the Orioles about a 20% chance of making this happen all things considered.

Thank you..

Archived