Trembley's tirade

Frobby

I enjoyed seeing DT get worked up sticking up for Reimold. The players certainly know he has their backs.

But where's the protest? Right now that run is the difference in this game. There's no excuse for not protesting unless there is some rule that makes it an unprotestable call.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I enjoyed seeing DT get worked up sticking up for Reimold. The players certainly know he has their backs.

But where's the protest? Right now that run is the difference in this game. There's no excuse for not protesting unless there is some rule that makes it an unprotestable call.

There is nothing protestable about it.

It was a judgement call that Reimold hadn't yet gotten to 2B at the time Gutierrez released the ball. Not protestable. It'd be like trying to protest a called strike 3.

I didn't see it but i heard he was between 2nd and 3rd when the ball went through the infield. I understand this is a "judgement" call but that is pretty simple. He didn't all of a sudden think you run 2nd to 1st to home. If you are the umpires you can't mess up a call like this. Get together, get it right.

Another crazy play. Cedeno tries to bunt for a base hit... on his way to first he lets go of the bat in fair territory... the ball hits the bat, actually moves further up the line out of Wieters reach. Cedeno reaches first with a bunt single.

Someone help me out here. What does the rulebook say about that?

Another crazy play. Cedeno tries to bunt for a base hit... on his way to first he lets go of the bat in fair territory... the ball hits the bat, actually moves further up the line out of Wieters reach. Cedeno reaches first with a bunt single.

Someone help me out here. What does the rulebook say about that?

Hunter just read the rule... Cedeno should have been called out.

What is the rule?

Once a ball is hit, the batter is out if the ball strikes the bat again in fair territory.

Rule number forthcoming...

EDIT: Rule 6.05(h) (PDF file...stupid MLB.com)

EDIT #2: Web link

After hitting or bunting a fair ball, his bat hits the ball a second time in fair territory. The ball is dead and no runners may advance. If the batter-runner drops his bat and the ball rolls against the bat in fair territory and, in the umpire’s judgment, there was no intention to interfere with the course of the ball, the ball is alive and in play

Ol' Rockfish forgot to read the "umpire's judgment" part of the rule, but that may or may not apply here.

I know you can not protest a judgment call but that to me seemed more like a rules interpretation. They are rarely upheld so. probably does not matter but.........

I didn't see it but i heard he was between 2nd and 3rd when the ball went through the infield. I understand this is a "judgement" call but that is pretty simple. He didn't all of a sudden think you run 2nd to 1st to home. If you are the umpires you can't mess up a call like this. Get together, get it right.

The issue isn't where Reimold was when the ball went through the infield, it's where he was when the throw was made. I'm not sure if the replay shows where Reimold was then. He definitely was beyond second while the ball was in flight in the infield.

The issue isn't where Reimold was when the ball went through the infield, it's where he was when the throw was made. I'm not sure if the replay shows where Reimold was then. He definitely was beyond second while the ball was in flight in the infield.

It doesn't definitively show where he was, but there's no way he wasn't to 2nd base if you watch it again.

Just another missed call that goes against the good guys. :rolleyes:

Archived