Oscar goes to..The Padres for RP Cla Meredith

pasadena

I like this trade. We traded a 31 year old with about 100 career ABs in the majors for a reliever who has spent 4 years in the bigs and has a career ERA of 3.49. Now, of course his ERA is going in the wrong direction, but maybe a change of scenery gets him going a little.

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What should this guys running to the mound from the bullpen music be?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhhaE6-Er3E&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhhaE6-Er3E&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

This song fits. Best song quality I can find of it on YouTube

Is it pronounced Clay or Claw?

It's pronounced 'Clay', but 'Claw' is a nickname he picked up in San Diego, where Clay Hensley was 'Clay' first.

http://www.viennasenators.com/2007%20news%20stories/Cla%20Meredith%20Wonder%205-24.html

Cla derives from Claiborne and is pronounced Clay, but teammates call him "Claw" to avoid confusion with Clay Hensley. Hensley has seniority on Meredith...
"I grew up in Richmond [Va.] watching Cal Ripken field ground balls with that nice, easy, nonchalant throw to first base," Meredith said.

This seems like a real nice return for Salazar, who was an unfortunate casualty of the numbers game offensively.

But we're definitely gonna have to make another move to go with this. DFA Bass maybe? He's struggled recently.

This seems like a real nice return for Salazar, who was an unfortunate casualty of the numbers game offensively.

But we're definitely gonna have to make another move to go with this. DFA Bass maybe? He's struggled recently.

Well now you have Mickolio or Meredith that you can send down.

Plus, they could be trading Baez or Sherrill soon.

DFA'ing Bass would be my preference in terms of a move like that though..Mickolio looks much improved and I would like to see more of him.

DFA'ing Bass would be my preference in terms of a move like that though..Mickolio looks much improved and I would like to see more of him.

I agree with you, I think Bass can be a suitable reliever, but he's not someone you let work through a cold spot at the expense of optioning someone else who you wanna see. I wouldn't mind if they send Mickolio down with the intentions of making another move and having him back up here in a couple weeks, but I do think he should be in Baltimore once the musical chairs game is over.

I think Mickilio goes in the short term while the Orioles try to trade Baez.

I would actually prefer that we cut Baez. Bass has certainly been beat up a bit recently, but he's much younger than Baez and does show flashes that he could still be a part of the bullpen.

Agree with you about Mickolio. We need to keep him here. I don't think he has a whole lot left to prove in AAA.

Why do I get the feeling another deal is about to happen??

This definitely feels like a setup move for Sherrill and/or Baez to be traded. Good move, I'm surprised we got a young player who's somewhat of a name for a part timer in Salazar. Wish Oscar the best in SD, hope he get's some PT.

This may not be a bad trade. Time will tell, but Meredith looks like he pitches to contact, but throws a good sinker that keeps the ball on the ground.

Let's hope that sinker has the same trajectory Meredith's career took circa mid-2007.

In all seriousness, this guy was a good pitcher once. If he can be fixed, this will be a good trade indeed.

I say boo to this trade. I loved Salazar. Furthermore, Cla is a B-U-M. Sure, he has a 3.49 career ERA. But he has a 4.13 in the last two years...pitching in the National League...West. I could do that. He's going from the weakest division to the strongest, so don't give me this "he needs a change of scenery" nonsense. And now they have to send down Kam! Are you serious? What does Berken have to do to get sent down? Granted, this ain't exactly the Glen Davis trade, but it sure ain't the Bedard trade either. Boooooo-urns.

Cla Meredith-- 2004 Red Sox 6th round pick

Oscar Salazar-- 1994 A's UFA

Best of luck to Oscar. In San Diego, he'll be seeing much more opportunity to hit and play the game at the level he's shown Baltimore for the past couple years. I hear the weather is great.

I didn't see his really bad game on the 4th, but I've liked what I've seen from Bass lately. Surprised to see a number of people talking about DFA(ing) him.

Ditto...I think all in all Bass has been prretty good after a rough start. Plus he can go 3 or 4 innings if needed.

Archived