If Trembley is gone after this year ...

TonySoprano

#1 choice - Wally Backman - a guy who played the game beyond his limitations and was a Davey Johnson favorite. When he played he was a guy you always looked at and said that he would someday be a big league manager. He wowed the Arizona D'Backs and got that job, just before a few items came to light. In a world where a lot of players/coaches/people get second chances he should too. He was a fantastic minor league manager and has done great in the Indy Leagues since his Arizona debacle. He would be an excellent choice and is very much the second coming of Earl Weaver in everything he believes and does. But makes sense in the Earl Weaver-Davey Johnson-Wally Backman chain. We would be lucky to have him and his fiery personality.

#2 chouce - Bill Ripken (the other white meat) - he is every bit his Dad and knows that things don't come easy to all players. He is a great blend of humor and intensity and would bring a zest and determination to the Orioles and bring back the Oriole (CalSr.) Way.

Beyond those two, IMHO, it would be settling. Most everybody else has a great resume with age going against them or is firmly entrenched in their jobs or just simply isn't the right fit for what is about to happen in Baltimore.

Quite frankly I would love to see Wally Backman as manager and Billy Ripken as bench coach but that is a decision that should be entirely up to the manager. However, I wouldn't be surprised if Wally was manager of the O's that he would ask Davey to be his bench coach.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could Ryne Sandberg be a possibility?

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/cubs/1704725,cubs-sandberg-manager-06.article

Sandberg is 49 and reserved by nature. But as he grew more comfortable in the dugout, he became more vocal.

He was thrown out of only one game as a player but was tossed from 13 in two seasons with Peoria. He’s been booted from six games with the Smokies and suspended once for “accidentally bumping an umpire.”

He demands his players be on time and give full effort.

He’s led the Smokies from the middle of their division during the first half of the season to the top of the standings.

Hendry calls that the sign of a good manager. The players like Sandberg because he knows the game and keeps things relaxed on the field.

“When you have a coach that’s played as long as he has, he doesn’t forget what it’s like to be a player,” said Doug Deeds, a 28-year-old outfielder. “It’s pretty easy to play for a guy like that, and I think sometimes you can get the best out of your players when you’re like that.”

Sounds like he could fit the bill and MacPhail loves them Cubbies...

Ron Roenicke, bench coach for the LA Angels. Sitting next to Mike S. in LA for all those years has got to do something for you.

Would love to see us go completely out of the organization and clean house if a change is made. Kranitz, maybe stays, but the rest can go.

After thinking about it, Ryno to Baltimore does make sense. He's the only HOFer managing in the minors, and who wouldn't listen to or respect Ryne Sandberg. And he's fiery enough, yet he's a former player who isn't that far removed from his playing days so he knows how to relate to players.

Could you imagine Roberts or Markakis not giving 100% with Sandberg at the helm? I can't...

After thinking about it, Ryno to Baltimore does make sense. He's the only HOFer managing in the minors, and who wouldn't listen to or respect Ryne Sandberg. And he's fiery enough, yet he's a former player who isn't that far removed from his playing days so he knows how to relate to players.

Could you imagine Roberts or Markakis not giving 100% with Sandberg at the helm? I can't...

If guys can go without giving, or seeming to not give, 100% for hard nosed, hard ass guys like Ted Williams and Frank Robinson, then I can see them doing it with just about anybody.

What about Phil Wellman?

Truthfully, I only mention him because of his antics. He's only managing at the AA level. What can we get from that? Who gets brought up from an AA club to manage at the major league level?

FYI, he managed the 1992 Orioles' GCL team as his first managerial gig.

If a managerial change is made, the entire ML staff needs to go. Enough of this holdover nonsense. Let the new regime pick whomever for every position.

I'd give anything in the world to see the O's try to land Tony La Russa if St. L. allows him to walk. :pray: Tony would shape these boys up or have shipped out those who don't want to get with his program. And, Dave Duncan comes with Mr. La Russa. :clap3:

Else, I'd like to see any of the following:

Davey :notworthy:

F. Robby

Ryno :clap3: :notworthy: I can see him getting nose-to-nose with the biggest star on the team at any time for not hustling.

Don Baylor

Roenicke (from LAA)

:no: to Dempsey, Acta, Willie Randolph, Buck Martinez, and probably #22, too. #22 seems happy in the booth and, I think, wouldn't abandon his ride on what Mel Proctor called "The Gravy Train" to manage a 162 game season.

I don't think D.T. has lost the clubhouse in any means. He knows how to work with the youth and he has handled the veterans more than satisfactory ie; Jay Payton last year and Melvin Mora this year. The manager can't catch,throw Pitch and bat for the players, nor can he be responsible for the bone headed base running mistakes Huff and Mora most notably made. Don't get me wrong D.T. has made some questionable moves that probably cost a few games here and there but it's a team effort, manager, coaches and players. So far I've heard people calling for the heads of D.T., The Crow, Juan(Green Light) Samuel, but no one has said anything about T-bone, R.K., or Ride the pine Dave (harmless) Jauss. The older veteran players on the Orioles don't hustle ground balls out, don't dive for balls except for Mora. The players with the losing attitude contract are all coming to an end. Youth is coming in and they are hungry to prove themselves and care about WANTING to win and are setting themselves to a higher standard. We do need someone to put a FIRE under their butts but should it necessarily be the manager? How about the coaches,"team captain", team leaders, you know a certain outfielder or infielder or "ACE" "#1 pitcher" catcher.. Team camaraderie, work off of each other. What Kevin Millar couldn't;t do on the field and at the plate due to his diminishing skills as often as we would've wanted him to what he did bring is character and challenged his fellow team mates to a higher standard and was trying to impress accountability for their performance. Its a TEAM effort. As James Earl Jones said in field of dreams "If you build it they will come" Well A.M. started the building process and the fruits of his success are now starting to ripen. If its in the cards for the staff to stay intact or if some are shown the door it was what was meant to be. You gotta have faith.BELIEVE!

I think the future manager of the Orioles can work magic in three ways.

1.) Bring a winning history into the clubhouse.

2.) Bring prior assistant coaches with expertise with him.

3.) Bring players who have played under him into play as FA's.

I think Tony LaRussa is one of only a few guys who has this kind of clout. The young Orioles would become Tony's team and he seems to always get the most out of his guys. If the Orioles were to land LaRussa he just might be their biggest offseason acquisition since Miguel Tejada.

My argument is simple. How much better would the Orioles be if Tony LaRussa managed the 2009 team? Can any of you name 2 games where Dave Trembley made a move that won the game for us? I know many people say that players are the ones on the field and that the managers in game role is minimal, but that is a farse IMHO. Running out the same lineup (In the same order) that is faltering day after day doesn't help. We need a motivator of men and our coaches semi-soft line on players isn't always the best way to go about it. I think our team is only Albert Pujols and John Lackey good from being good. Maybe LaRussa could help us in terms of signing Pujols in 2011! Nevermind, 7/$127 Million isn't going to land Pujols. He will look like a beast in a Red Sox uniform.

1. Clint Hurdle2. Rich Dauer

3. Gary Allenson

I like Allenson as a candidate, but Hurdle would be a disaster. He's one of the worst managers I've ever seen.

Don't you think the fact the Rockies went from one of the worst teams in baseball to one of the best teams in baseball immediately after he was fired doesn't at least speak a little bit towards his ineptitude as a manager?

I don't think D.T. has lost the clubhouse in any means. He knows how to work with the youth and he has handled the veterans more than satisfactory ie; Jay Payton last year and Melvin Mora this year. The manager can't catch,throw Pitch and bat for the players, nor can he be responsible for the bone headed base running mistakes Huff and Mora most notably made. Don't get me wrong D.T. has made some questionable moves that probably cost a few games here and there but it's a team effort, manager, coaches and players. So far I've heard people calling for the heads of D.T., The Crow, Juan(Green Light) Samuel, but no one has said anything about T-bone, R.K., or Ride the pine Dave (harmless) Jauss. The older veteran players on the Orioles don't hustle ground balls out, don't dive for balls except for Mora. The players with the losing attitude contract are all coming to an end. Youth is coming in and they are hungry to prove themselves and care about WANTING to win and are setting themselves to a higher standard. We do need someone to put a FIRE under their butts but should it necessarily be the manager? How about the coaches,"team captain", team leaders, you know a certain outfielder or infielder or "ACE" "#1 pitcher" catcher.. Team camaraderie, work off of each other. What Kevin Millar couldn't;t do on the field and at the plate due to his diminishing skills as often as we would've wanted him to what he did bring is character and challenged his fellow team mates to a higher standard and was trying to impress accountability for their performance. Its a TEAM effort. As James Earl Jones said in field of dreams "If you build it they will come" Well A.M. started the building process and the fruits of his success are now starting to ripen. If its in the cards for the staff to stay intact or if some are shown the door it was what was meant to be. You gotta have faith.BELIEVE!

Wow, I love your prose style. Seriously! It's how late Faulkner wd have written the fan of a local team.

I like Allenson as a candidate, but Hurdle would be a disaster. He's one of the worst managers I've ever seen.

Don't you think the fact the Rockies went from one of the worst teams in baseball to one of the best teams in baseball immediately after he was fired doesn't at least speak a little bit towards his ineptitude as a manager?

Hurdle was the manager that got them to the World Series.

The Rockies as an organization have developed a habit of coming out of nowhere and going on insane winning streaks its like their entire organization is a second-half team.

Archived