Rodrigo Lopez on Fox Game of Week Right Now

Migrant Redbird

Kyle Lohse of the Cardinals is pitching like his name is Rodrigo Lopez, and the Phillies have staked Rodrigo to a 3-0 lead in the bottom of the first. It would have been more, but Ryan Ludwick made a running catch at the wall for the 3rd out of the inning. Ludwick then proceeded to lead off the top of the second with a solo home run off Rodrigo....

Now DeRosa follows Ludwick with a double off the wall. That's the Rodrigo O's fans know and love -- the Rodrigo I was hoping to see.

I missed an out and now Rodrigo is facing his opposing pitcher (hitting .227) with the runner on 2nd and 2 out. I hope that Kyle justifies my love of having pitchers take their own at bats.

Kyle hits a ball up the middle, but it's not hard enough to get through and he's thrown out at first to end the inning. Rodrigo still has a 3-1 lead.

Kyle Lohse is an example of how good Boras is as an agent. If he hadn't worked that extension at the time he did, Lohse wouldn't make half as much as will now.

Boras took advantage of a novice GM. Lohse did pitch very well last year, especially early in the season, but Mozeliak seriously misread the FA market for mid-tier starting pitchers.

Fantastic trade yesterday for you Redbird.

Depends. If Mozeliak can negotiate a reasonable extension with Boras (fat chance), it could turn out OK. Otherwise, we gave up too much for a 2 month rental. I'm not one who's in favor of giving away the farm to improve our odds of a World Championship from 10% to 15% (more or less). It's like betting the rent money on the pick 5 -- exhilarating if you get lucky, but devasting for your financial situation if you lose.

Good luck the rest of the way.

Thanks! We'll need lots of luck, like we had in 2006. I still think that Adam Dunn would have been a better acquisition. He shouldn't have cost as much and he's signed through next year at a reasonable price.

Archived