8/11 vs Oakland

O-The-Memories

If the ball had been hit to one of the right side infielders he'd have had a chance to get back to third, but with it going to the shortstop even though you're screwed either way your chances are a little better of avoiding the tag having the catcher drop the ball at home than they are of getting back to third safely. Roberts played it the way he was supposed to. The mistake - one they make all the freaking time - is on the coaching staff. I know they have a tough time getting clutch hits, but they have an even harder time overcoming all the runners they get thrown out at the plate! :angryfire:

It wasn't really Roberts fault if they had him running on contact. But there's absolutely no reason to run on contact when you have a guy on third. Even if it's hit to the right, the infield is in and he gets thrown out.

And I reiterate, they have THEIR BEST PLAYER coming up so it makes no sense.

Sorry, not yelling at you. Just incredibly frustrated right now.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If the ball had been hit to one of the right side infielders he'd have had a chance to get back to third, but with it going to the shortstop even though you're screwed either way your chances are a little better of avoiding the tag having the catcher drop the ball at home than they are of getting back to third safely. Roberts played it the way he was supposed to. The mistake - one they make all the freaking time - is on the coaching staff. I know they have a tough time getting clutch hits, but they have an even harder time overcoming all the runners they get thrown out at the plate! :angryfire:

Uh, no... pretty sure Brian Roberts should know better than that, Juan Samuel be damned. I agree that running on contact with the infield in is stupid, but at least take a freakin' LOOK.

That kind of crap cannot happen when you've been in the major leagues as long as he has.

I agree that most of the onus is on our coaches. No exaggeration, Juan Samuel is the worst 3rd base coach I've ever seen. I can't recall one time where I've said "wow, Samuel played that one right on the money, good call sending the runner".

I can however recall over a dozen times where I've screamed his name followed by many words that I'd never say in church. He stinks, and he needs to be held accountable.

Uh, no... pretty sure Brian Roberts should know better than that, Juan Samuel be damned. I agree that running on contact with the infield in is stupid, but at least take a freakin' LOOK.

That kind of crap cannot happen when you've been in the major leagues as long as he has.

At how many years of service does a player become obligated to disobey his coaches if they give him dumb instructions? With the infield in there's very little chance you have time to react and get back to 3B safely and looking at the ball only slows you down.

I guess when we're 20 games under 500 something has to be done. I'm not watching the game so you guy would know better than me.

I agree that most of the onus is on our coaches. No exaggeration, Juan Samuel is the worst 3rd base coach I've ever seen. I can't recall one time where I've said "wow, Samuel played that one right on the money, good call sending the runner".

I can however recall over a dozen times where I've screamed his name followed by many words that I'd never say in church. He stinks, and he needs to be held accountable.

Samuel is to baserunning what Ozzie Guillen is to diplomacy and political correctness.

At how many years of service does a player become obligated to disobey his coaches if they give him dumb instructions? :scratchchinhmm:

3.5, I believe.

That's just common sense, though.

"Hey look, the infield is in. Maybe I should confirm that it goes through before I run."

It's not like he was the game winning run or anything. Like I said, common sense, Juan Samuel be damned.

Archived