The Doubles Machine

dhaze

Two things keep me watching: The rookies and Brian Roberts. Brob is providing an exciting subplot in an otherwise glum home stretch of the season. He is currently on pace to finish with 63 doubles. MLB has not seen a 60+ double season since 1936!

Additionally, when he reaches 50 doubles, it will be for the third time in his career. Only 3 players have compiled 3 or more seasons of 50+ doubles, and they are all in the Hall of Fame:

Tris Speaker

Stan Musial

Paul Waner

Brob already holds the AL record for doubles by a switch hitter, with 51 last year. The MLB record for switch hitters is 55, held by Lance Berkman. The MLB record for doubles by teammates is 116, set in 1926. Kakes and Brob are on pace for 116.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brian's ability to hit doubles is really amazing. If he were a bit bigger and stronger, he would be cranking out a massive amount of homers. He's changed as a hitter, which I think sometimes can hurt him. When he slumps, he seems to lose that ability to get to the gaps and ends up hitting a lot of mediocre fly balls. Sometimes I'd prefer to see him slapping the ball the other way a bit more, but when he's going good like he has been, it's a work of art to watch him go from gap to gap with ease.

Two things keep me watching: The rookies and Brian Roberts. Brob is providing an exciting subplot in an otherwise glum home stretch of the season. He is currently on pace to finish with 63 doubles. MLB has not seen a 60+ double season since 1936!

Additionally, when he reaches 50 doubles, it will be for the third time in his career. Only 3 players have compiled 3 or more seasons of 50+ doubles, and they are all in the Hall of Fame:

Tris Speaker

Stan Musial

Paul Waner

Brob already holds the AL record for doubles by a switch hitter, with 51 last year. The MLB record for switch hitters is 55, held by Lance Berkman. The MLB record for doubles by teammates is 116, set in 1926. Kakes and Brob are on pace for 116.

Yes, that's all very nice, but he doesn't run out every single GB he hits. He's not a good player. And he's old. He's on his last legs. He may not make it to the end of this season, let alone the end of his contract.:laughlol:

Yes, that's all very nice, but he doesn't run out every single GB he hits. He's not a good player. And he's old. He's on his last legs. He may not make it to the end of this season, let alone the end of his contract.:laughlol:

It's a good thing breaking MLB records is "cool", otherwise Roberts wouldn't do it :D:P

He's also the cause of the Orioles' "atmosphere of losing". :rolleyestf:

Tris Speaker

Stan Musial

Paul Waner

But he doesn't hit enough singles! ;)

In all seriousness, this is awesome. That's really special company to be in. I don't think he'll get to 60, because even with his hot streak that's a little too much to ask and expect. I do believe he'll break Berkman's record, and that's quite alright by me.

Archived