The Doubles Machine

dhaze

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
MLB.com wrote an article about the possibility of Roberts being the first player since 1936 to reach 60 doubles... it probably won't happen, but it'd be fun to follow, like our own little McGwire/Sosa HR chase. :)

No, no, we wouldn't want him to have a chance to make that happen. We need him to be benched so we can see if Turner will run out every GB.:rolleyestf:

Who were the Cubs players who lotsa folks here wanted us to trade BRob for?

Not being a smartass, I just don't recall, and since the Search function appears to be permanently hosed ...

EDIT: Gallagher, Murton and somebody else?

EDIT: ... and CPat's little brother and/or Cedeno?

MLB.com wrote an article about the possibility of Roberts being the first player since 1936 to reach 60 doubles... it probably won't happen, but it'd be fun to follow, like our own little McGwire/Sosa HR chase. :)

I love this quote:

"Anytime you're in the company of three Hall of Famers -- and you're the only one who's not a very good player -- that's kind of cool,"

Who were the Cubs who folks wanted us to trade BRob for?

Not being a smartass, I just don't recall, and since the Search function appears to be permanently hosed ...

IIRC it was some combination of Cedeno, Murton, Gallegher, Mrshall, Eric Patterson, Hill, Pie, and some MiL P's whose names escape me. Oh yes Veal and Ceda.

That is a good question - is he hall of fame caliber?

You mean the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown? Jeez, no. He's about 70 wins (!!) behind Lou Whitaker, who I'm pretty sure the BBWAA collectively spat at during his one year on the ballot.

Even if Roberts keeps up his current production for another five years he'll need to get really friendly with Frankie Frisch's ghost and hope it gets another term at the helm of the Vet's Committee.

Roberts already held the AL record for Doubles in a season with 50 (2004) which he will no doubt extend this year. The Major league record for Doubles in a season is 55(Berkman-2001) and is well within his reach.

Just to clarify, these are the records for doubles by a switch-hitter.

Archived