The Doubles Machine

dhaze

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 More now until 60!!!!! I really hope he makes it!

I wouldn't doubt if he does, one more game in the double friendly rodger's center. 3 more at home where he knows how and is comfortable hitting doubles. He's clearly trying to hit doubles with his throw out at 2b tonite (I'm not faulting him on that, he executed his attempt well, he just had a little too much momentum.)

I wouldn't doubt if he does, one more game in the double friendly rodger's center. 3 more at home where he knows how and is comfortable hitting doubles. He's clearly trying to hit doubles with his throw out at 2b tonite (I'm not faulting him on that, he executed his attempt well, he just had a little too much momentum.)

His over-slide at 2B had me thinking...I understood the rule that Buck explained saying that Roberts would only be credited for a single because that was the last base that he reached safely...but suppose instead of trying to head back to 2nd base, he would have started towards 3B (if even crawling!) before getting tagged out. I'd have to think that then would have been considered a double. It'd be funny, but just like baseball, if such a tiny motion towards the next base could change the scoring.

Did any of that make sense? Put an asterisk next to this one when he finishes with 59!

If he touched 2B and then overslid the bag, I would think it should be a double, just like if he had touched the bag, continued to 3B and tagged out before he reached 3B. I didn't see the play. Are you sure he touched 2B and then was tagged out after coming off of the bag?

Yeah, it was the consensus of Buck, Thorne and the replay that Roberts hit 2nd before oversliding and then getting tagged out. Here's the official scoring rule that Buck evoked:

Rule 10.06 ©:
When the batter attempts to make a two-base hit or a three-base hit by sliding, he must hold the last base to which he advances. If a batter-runner overslides and is tagged out before getting back to the base safely, he shall be credited with only as many bases as he attained safely. If a batter-runner overslides second base and is tagged out, the official scorer shall credited him with a one-base hit; if the batter- runner overslides third base and is tagged out, the official scorer shall credit him with a two-base hit.

In addition:

Rule 10.06© Comment:
If the batter-runner overruns second or third base and is tagged out trying to return, the official scorer shall credit the batter-runner with the last base he touched. If a batter-runner runs past second base after reaching that base on his feet, attempts to return and is tagged out, the official scorer shall credit the batter with a two-base hit. If a batter-runner runs past third base after reaching that base on his feet, attempts to return and is tagged out, the official scorer shall credit the batter with a three-base hit.

In short, if he slides through it, its a single. If he runs through it, its a double. No mention of how it would have been scored if he slid through it and then continued towards third.

Yeah, it was the consensus of Buck, Thorne and the replay that Roberts hit 2nd before oversliding and then getting tagged out. Here's the official scoring rule that Buck evoked:
Rule 10.06 ©:
When the batter attempts to make a two-base hit or a three-base hit by sliding, he must hold the last base to which he advances. If a batter-runner overslides and is tagged out before getting back to the base safely, he shall be credited with only as many bases as he attained safely. If a batter-runner overslides second base and is tagged out, the official scorer shall credited him with a one-base hit; if the batter- runner overslides third base and is tagged out, the official scorer shall credit him with a two-base hit.

In addition:

Rule 10.06© Comment:
If the batter-runner overruns second or third base and is tagged out trying to return, the official scorer shall credit the batter-runner with the last base he touched. If a batter-runner runs past second base after reaching that base on his feet, attempts to return and is tagged out, the official scorer shall credit the batter with a two-base hit. If a batter-runner runs past third base after reaching that base on his feet, attempts to return and is tagged out, the official scorer shall credit the batter with a three-base hit.

In short, if he slides through it, its a single. If he runs through it, its a double. No mention of how it would have been scored if he slid through it and then continued towards third.

This is a ridiculous rule. As usual, however, the stupid rule is about record-keeping.

The rules about how the game works are about perfect, all the dumb ones are about the accounting mechanisms that produces stats...

What's ridiculous about it? Seems like it makes sense to me. Giving him a double there would be like giving him a stolen base plus a caught stealing when he overslides second on a steal attempt.

What's wrong with that? He safely reached second in both cases, then made an additional mistake that caused the out. Perfectly reasonable to me.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived