LA Angels

Wild Bill

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm all about the Orioles competing this year. However, I think the Jay Gibbons contract might come back to haunt the Orioles down the road.

No way the Angels offer John Lackey. I don't know much about Ervin Santana, but if I can get a good pitcher (Brendan Donnelly and maybe Kotchman or Kendry Morales), you pull the trigger.

Gibbons is average defensively and is borderline average offensively for a corner outfielder. Take the money and run. Heck, throw in Javier Lopez as a way of saying thanks.

Bedard is a very good pitcher now, and Benson has been very good, and you can pretty much depend on him to be solid.

Cabrera, Penn, Loewen, Olsen, JJ, Liz, Erbe are all going to become a factor, some sooner than others.

Now, I will say that it would allow us to trade some of that young pitching for a young hitter..

I probally trade Gibbons for Santana, not Lackey, allthough I wonder what the team reaction would be? We likely would have to have another deal in place for a bat before we dealt pitching.

Not sure how Bedard is a very good pitcher now. His stats certainly don't support that. Same with Benson, who might not be part of our future plans anyway.

All those guys might become factors, but it's doubtful none of them suffer severe injuries and it's highly doubtful that all of them come anywhere close to their promise.

Why not Lackey? He would easily be our best pitcher, and is only half a year older than Bedard.

Why would you trade Gibbons for a BP guy, and a guy that you hope will be healthy enough to approach Gibbons' talent level?

Have you seen our bullpen recently?? Chris Ray, Latroy Hawkins, and some other dudes.

Donnelly is solid in the pen.

And Hawkins is a FA next year.

You can never have enough good pitching. Markakis would be a defensive upgrade over Gibbons in RF. Matos (but not Conine) would be a defensive upgrade in LF. And, let's face it, our outfield defense could use some upgrading...

I do this deal.

So who is going to hit the ball then? Other then Tejada, Gibbons is the only one who can hit the ball on a consistent basis. Let alone who his gonna provide some power to protect Miggy! Jay is on the way to a career year this year batting behind Tejada. He will be 30+ 100+ and I am sorry you just dont goto the dime store and replace that.

Haven't posted for a while but the LA Angels are going hard for Gibbons, would give up a good pitcher for him. O's need pitching, Angels need power hitting 1B/OF. Stay tuned. Note the O's will be in Anaheim next weekend.

It would be nice to get Nick Adenhart out of this...

Not sure how Bedard is a very good pitcher now. His stats certainly don't support that. Same with Benson, who might not be part of our future plans anyway.

They are both on pace for close to 20 wins, and have ERA's that are above average (Bedard is 23rd among AL qualifiers, Benson is 26th). Both have been pretty consistent this year but for one disastrous trip to Fenway. So I guess it depends on what you mean by "very good." I'm certainly not complaining.

I'm all about the Orioles competing this year. However, I think the Jay Gibbons contract might come back to haunt the Orioles down the road.

No way the Angels offer John Lackey. I don't know much about Ervin Santana, but if I can get a good pitcher (Brendan Donnelly and maybe Kotchman or Kendry Morales), you pull the trigger.

Gibbons is average defensively and is borderline average offensively for a corner outfielder. Take the money and run. Heck, throw in Javier Lopez as a way of saying thanks.

Geez, a guy who is on track to hit 40HRs and 110 RBIs is "borderline offensively" wish we had three or four more "average" guys like that.

They are both on pace for close to 20 wins, and have ERA's that are above average (Bedard is 23rd among AL qualifiers, Benson is 26th). Both have been pretty consistent this year but for one disastrous trip to Fenway. So I guess it depends on what you mean by "very good." I'm certainly not complaining.

I'm not complaining either, I just don't think they've been very good. I also don't care that much about win totals, and I certainly don't care much about win total projections based on 1/4 of the season.

Bedard: 4.18 ERA, 51.7 innings, 31 K's, 21 BB, 5 hr's given up. That's not very good imo.

Benson: 4.38 ERA, 49.3 innings, 25 K's, 18 BB'S, 5 HR's given up. Also not very good imo.

Interesting. Gibbons's high contact style of hitting does fit in with the Angels.

I wonder if they want Jay for 1B since Vlad's got RF covered.

IIRC, the Angels were trying to sign Lackey long term this spring, and they couldn't get anything done. He's the guy I'd be jazzed about.

Santana would be okay, but Jay's a decent player in his own right.

I bet we're interested in Nick Adenhart, who's 6-1, 1.90 ERA/0.93 WHIP in with a 54/10 K/BB in 50 IP so far this year in low A.

Could they be dangling Jered Weaver?

Archived