Cowan finally back and Tolliver debuts!

QBsILLEST1

Jacob Cowan comes back after about a month of downtime and is already back to dominant form. He started for Aberdeen and went: 4IP 1H 0R 0ER 2BB 4K....This is his second consecutive outing in which he gave up only one hit. And now his seaon ERA is down to 2.86. Im guessing he goes to Delmarva next year though Fredrick could be a distant possibility....

Ashur Tolliver made his debut last night going: 3IP 1H 0R 0ER 0BB 1K

Nice to see our young talent from the draft this year having successful first stints in pro ball. Hopefully they can both build on this and come back stronger next year. Id expect Tolliver to go the same route that Cowan is going to go next year and possibly have Rany Henry join them. That will be a very exciting young rotation to watch!

NOTE: I didnt really think this was a game discussion thread, so I didnt make it one, but if the mods feel that it should be a Jacob Cowan game discussion thread then please let me know.....

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jacob Cowan comes back after about a month of downtime and is already back to dominant form. He started for Aberdeen and went: 4IP 1H 0R 0ER 2BB 4K....This is his second consecutive outing in which he gave up only one hit. And now his seaon ERA is down to 2.86. Im guessing he goes to Delmarva next year though Fredrick could be a distant possibility....

Ashur Tolliver made his debut last night going: 3IP 1H 0R 0ER 0BB 1K

Nice to see our young talent from the draft this year having successful first stints in pro ball. Hopefully they can both build on this and come back stronger next year. Id expect Tolliver to go the same route that Cowan is going to go next year and possibly have Rany Henry join them. That will be a very exciting young rotation to watch!

NOTE: I didnt really think this was a game discussion thread, so I didnt make it one, but if the mods feel that it should be a Jacob Cowan game discussion thread then please let me know.....

I would be surprised if he went to Frederick. That would be incredibly aggressive.

This draft could revolutionize how people draft. For a couple of years, until everybody's doing it. Why let the unsignable high school superstars stay unsignable? If you can make them rich beyond their wildest dreams without giving up your top round picks in the process, it's worth a couple of million extra. Even if you guess wrong. This draft has a good feel so far, hence my opening statement.

I would be surprised if he went to Frederick. That would be incredibly aggressive.

Id be surprised too, thats why I said its a longshot, but its possible. I expect him to be in Delmarva though and I cannot wait to see that rotation, its gonna be very very strong. Ryan Berry may even end up there.

This draft could revolutionize how people draft. For a couple of years, until everybody's doing it. Why let the unsignable high school superstars stay unsignable? If you can make them rich beyond their wildest dreams without giving up your top round picks in the process, it's worth a couple of million extra. Even if you guess wrong. This draft has a good feel so far, hence my opening statement.

Even though this draft is considered high risk/high reward and took some very good quality, we also took quantity. Rather than draft a few big namers, we drafted about 13 good prospects so the numbers are on our side. I think we will have a few very good prospects from this draft not even including the 1st rounder.....

Id be surprised too, thats why I said its a longshot, but its possible. I expect him to be in Delmarva though and I cannot wait to see that rotation, its gonna be very very strong. Ryan Berry may even end up there.

I don't know if it is possible. Who are the guys we have had that started in in short and then skipped Delmarva?

I cannot think of a single one.

Wieters and Matusz started there due to how polished they are. Cowan is not at their level yet.

I don't know if it is possible. Who are the guys we have had that started in in short and then skipped Delmarva?

Wieters and Matusz started there due to how polished they are. Cowan is not at their level yet.

I know, Im not saying he is going to go, its a very very distant possibility, I expect him to go to Delmarva. Id give it as much as a 5% chance he goes to Fredrick....

I agree that Cowan should not start next year at Frederick, but you can add Caleb Joseph to the list of players that have skipped Low A after SS. Having 3 players make the jump is hardly a precedent, so Cowan needs to develop in Delmarva and prove that he can stay healthy for a full season.

Off the top of my head, Reimold and Loewen.

Reimold and Olson in 2005 - skipped during their first year to help Frederick win the championship and both were stellar. But, I agree, I don't think Cowan is on their level either.

Reimold and Olson in 2005 - skipped during their first year to help Frederick win the championship and both were stellar. But, I agree, I don't think Cowan is on their level either.

Cowan has better pure stuff than Olson. Cowan lacks polish and needs to work on his command, Olson had good command and a fair amount of polish, but has better stuff and a higher ceiling. Just because Cowan was drafted in the 10th round, I wouldnt go as far to say that Olson was at a higher level than Cowan at this point and time. Cowan was said to be a 2nd round talent who fell due to injury. I think Cowan should go to Delmarva, he does need to prove he can have a full healthy season, but Reimold and Olson and Joseph are not on another level compared to Cowan.

Reimold had tremendous power, but was also coming straight out of 3 years of college, apples to oranges IMO. Him going to Fredrick after SS ball isnt a huge jump at all.

In actuality, Olson and Reimold were on about the same level as Cowan is coming out of the draft and Joseph was actually probably a level below these 3 coming out of the draft. Joseph was actually a better talent than his draft slot suggests, and he wasnt an overslotter. I think Joseph is one of those cases of being better than scouts gave him credit for due to his poor competition level. Scouts didnt know he would rise to the occasion as he has and do better against better competition...

Maybe.

I had forgotten about Nolan and Garrett doing that.

Maybe.

I had forgotten about Nolan and Garrett doing that.

Well Nolan was out of college and was at too easy of a level and Garrett had some polish and command. It makes some sense why theyd be able to do that successfully, Cowan needs to gain polish, itd be a bad idea for him. Ryan Berry would be one who could do that probably if he had started in SS.

And I wanted to throw this out there too as far as food for thought, since Cowan has been in pro ball, he has had 1 very bad outing in relief in which he went 2/3IP and gave up 4 ER. If you take that game away his ERA is 0.98. I know its kinda wishful thinking when you pick and chose like that, but even if you include the bad game his ERA is 2.86 I wanna say. So, I know he isnt on the same level as Matusz, he has pitched very well though and hopefully HOPEFULLY is on a nother level compared to Olson....

Archived